Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:01:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm African idols and tribal masks?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
28mm African idols and tribal masks?
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Hi guys

I am trying to find substitutes for the stress tokens in Congo, and aiming to create small 20mm scenic bases to mark stress in a more (to me) aesthetically pleasing way.

I was thinking that tribal masks or small statues of idols could be used for terror and panic tokens.  I already have the three small idols from Foundry's African tribal goods pack but was wondering if anyone else makes something similar.  Ditto, tribal masks.  I am reluctant to buy a pack of masked figures just to cut the heads off and chuck the rest away.  Does anyone make tribal masks in this scale, small enough to go on a 20mm (or 25mm) circular base?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm African idols and tribal masks?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »
If you have any masked minis why not make a mould? Or sculpt your own. the basic shapes are very easy and variation means that even if you have crap sculpting skills it can still be believable.

I have to say now i'm interested as the tribal goods pack is too damn expensive lol.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
Brigade Games do idols in a pack with parrots in their Caribbean Empires range. They've also got crystal skulls, if they're of any use.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:47:28 AM »
Recreational Conflict undEr Lead Bones has tikis and fetishes that may fill the bill.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:10:15 AM »
You have a great idea, which I think I will be stealing!

Providing you have a figure with a mask, you could use some Insta-mold and make as many as you need. I often use Sculpey or polymer clay for replicating things that don't require fine detail.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:21:57 AM by Infman »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
I'd certainly prefer to have something more scenic to represent penalties,  effects,  etc than counters regardless of whether it's Congo or anything else. I'd be interested in something more aesthetically pleasing.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »
Thanks to all for your suggestions, which I will follow up. 

A few other points as it seems I am not alone in wanting to replace the counters.  I spoke to Wargames Foundry a few months back to ask if they could produce a pack of models from their existing ranges that could be used instead of tokens.  I was told they could raise this with ST if there was interest.  If anyone else thinks this would be worthwhile, please lobby WF or it won't happen.

The problem with WF is that packs of bits and bobs tend to be very expensive for what you get, i.e. the same price as 8 figures and generally not discounted to £10 at a show.  I did buy the tribal goods pack (which has three good idol statues) although I had to grit my teeth at the cost.

FWIW, I am using quivers from the tribal goods pack as the -1 shooting stress and plan to use spears (stuck in the ground at an angle on a 20mm MDF base) for melee, unless I can find a source of hand held weapons to use instead. I think WF may do one and will ask.  Movement is more difficult, and the best I have come up with so far is small stones, again on a base textured with sand, painted Vallejo Iraqi sand with some grass added for colour. I have made some with one stone and some with two for -1 and -2 stress respectively. A giant footprint would be good, and I suppose could be done in very fine sand while it the glue is still wet given a suitable implement. 

Terror and panic are presently being dealt with by vultures from DeeZee Miniatures and skulls from Ral Partha (I think; someone on here recommended them). Not entirely happy with that, hence the request for guidance on the commercial availability of masks and idols, particularly as I want to use the idols for loot.

If anyone else has ideas it would be great to hear them 

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
I say we should message WF more, i'd like some counters...or at least a cheap alternative tot that tribal goods pack, but also it would be nice to be able to buy darkest Africa packs in the correct amounts for  Congo, too many superfluous minis i'm not going to use.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
Wargames Foundry already do special 'Congo' packs for all four columns plus an 'adventure pack' with bearers, lion, gorilla, crocs, etc.
(look under 'Congo' at the top level).

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
I realizes this but I want to make my own column and already have some of the minis from the packs.

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »
Well I spoke to WF today and have some news to pass on, although it may well be old news to those in the know. 

The expansion book will take the form of a campaign system and could be available by Salute, although it might be delayed until June.  Good to know it is on its way though, particularly if it turns out to be the loosely structured campaign I am hoping for rather than just a series of linked scenarios.

WF is also working on two encounter packs, one for jungle and one for savannah terrain.  These will include the additional pieces needed to resolve the encounters with models on table (e.g giant spiders, baboons and idols) rather than just reading the text and throwing dice.  ST has to approve anything produced with the Congo branding, so WF couldn't say when these packs would be available. 

As for my search for melee stress tokens, I bit the bullet and paid £10 for a pack of 12 Masai hand weapons.  Big ouch, but at least it is done, and I will probably forget about the cost if they look good on the table.  Shame there isn't a more cost effective alternative available though. Couldn't bring myself to buy a pack of tribal figures in masks and cut the heads off, so the search for masks goes on..... 

Offline Calumma

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
Great news about the campaign expansion. Fingers crossed it is available at Salute.

I like your idea for the various tokens and may consider this myself - although like you I suspect that if I find some interesting models I'm more likely to try and use them as loot.

For movement tokens, why not simply make some footprints across a small base. Should be easy enough to do in Greenstuff or milliput. Making small moulds for masks should also be achievable. Flat backs aren't such an issue since they will only be seen from one side.

Regarding Foundry selling figures in packs more appropriate to Congo, I contacted them last year to ask if they could swap out one figure from 1 standard 8 figure pack for a single figure from another. I was told it wasn't cost effective because of how the figures come out of the moulds. I know there are Congo boxes available to create 70 pt columns (and have three of them myself), but it would be good to increase column size without needing to spend money on figures that won't be immediately useful. Yes, the spare figures will eventually find their way into other games, but still. Gripping Beast  (and others) sell figures in packs aimed at systems like Saga. The Foundry Congo boxes are good value, but making up your own column is part of the fun.

BTW anyone else notice the African Kingdoms box actually includes 71 pts instead of 70 like all the other boxes...