Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Help needed regarding ECW Pike and Shot Figures  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help needed regarding ECW Pike and Shot Figures
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
Good day all.
I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if the Warlord Pike and Shot Infantry figures could be used as pirate figures? If so, how much conversion would be needed to make them work? Any ideas, suggestions, hints and especially photos would be greatly appreciated. I have a number of sprues of these figures and would like to use them if it would be possible. Also, could they be used for English, French, Spanish or Dutch factions.

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Hannibal

• Assistant
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:17:05 PM »
Hello Hitman,

although I do not use the Warlord-figures as pirates, hopefully here are some hints for you. I think it is just easy to converse these figures for "pirate-duties". ;) For the golden age of piracy they work fine, because they fit the style of clothing for that time and place. You can use the musketeers as well as the pikemen, both were in use on the spanish main. Although pikes on ships were obviously rare.  :D There I think you have to shorten them to the length of boarding-pikes. I would recommend to use as few armour as possible, as it was to unwieldy for that tropical climate imho. Only for use in town militias I would use some morions or breastplates. If you need some advise with nice pictures, I would recommend this book: https://ospreypublishing.com/buccaneers-1620-1700-pb. Or have a look at the new company http://www.firelockgames.com they just started a new range for the golden age of piracy. Hope, I could help you a bit. ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:20:17 PM by Hannibal »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »
Thanks Hannibal. I appreciate your information. I purchased some of the Firelock Games miniatures during their kickstarter campaign. They are quite nice. I was trying to decide if the Warlord Games ECW Pike and Shot figures would work as well to add a few more figures very cheaply. They are definitely much smaller than the Firelock Games figures so I would need to build their bases up 2 - 3 millimetres at least in order to consider them. I was hoping they could be used as Dutch and/or Spanish.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:11:07 PM »
Were it not for their antiquated muskets the musketeers would work for buccaneers of the late 17th century (1660 - 1700) if mixed with other suitable figures, such as contemporary musketeers in long coats, and pirate figures with muskets. Short coats remained popular with seamen well past their terrestrial use-by date, and buccaneers made sure they had the most up-to-date firearms. Have a close look at the plates in the Osprey buccaneers book for an idea of the collective aesthetics of a such a force.

So, if you can find a way to replace those big, primitive early 17th century muskets...   

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
Well you have to remember there were several Royalist pirate ships and one pirate fleet in the late 1640's and early 1650's. Rupert and Maurice both turned pirate, and Maurice died while doing that in the Caribbean. There were even pirates/raiders during the civil wars.

Also, the warlord models likely are too well dressed for pirates of the period. Again if based in the english channel the coats etc are a little more suitable than in the hotter area's.

The figures clothing in theory would be perfect for that but the poses are likely more of a challenge. A few boarding pikes would have been used but the poses would be quite different as you would not have a pike block. Also, I doubt many musket rests were used onboard ship.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:06:15 AM »
Good information. Thank you both for your input and information.
Regards
Hitman
 8)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:25:13 AM »
I have one of the Warlord games ECW musket figures that came as a give away with a magazine. I mixed him in with my pirates.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
If you have (or can get some of) the Warlord Firelocks  maybe you could mix and match a bit. The bodies are all mono pose and as they are Warlord's first ECW plastic kit the sculpting is poor but each firelock comes with two muskets (with arms attached so some chopping and glueing would be required).

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »
The firelocks, and dragoons with improved muskets, would both worK. Buccaneers had a preference for flintlocks of the latest pattern.

Buccaneer forces were composed of a mixture of sailors and ex-soldiers, so any of the types I mentioned above can be mixed into your army. The only detail you need to watch is that all buccaneers wore shoes and stockings, or boots, whereas many pirate figures are bare-footed.