Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: History reversed at Hougoumont  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
History reversed at Hougoumont
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:09:52 AM »
Using a simplified version of our standard rules (tailored to the relatively straight-forward nature of the engagement) and a beautiful set of the Hovels Hougoumont, we refought the famous struggle for the chateau estate.

It was a seesaw contest, with advantage passing back-and-forth several times, until the French managed to overthrow history and take the farmhouse and its grounds.

If we'd been fighting as part of a larger Waterloo mega-game, the casualties suffered by the repeated French assaults might have had the same negative effect on the overall French position as they did at the real Waterloo, where the French failed to take Hougoumont. On the other hand, perhaps the morale effect would have led the Allies to falter and allowed the French to win the day. As one of the two French players I am sticking with the latter version of the alternate history!

If interested in seeing many more pics, please click on this LINK to visit my humle blog:

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-battle-of-huge-mont.html

Of particular interest to LAFers may be the name bestowed on the game by our host: "HUGE-MONT" -- a half-mocking reference to the beautiful, but admittedly large, size of the Hovels model version of the farmhouse estate set.  Though an excellent figure painter and modeller, he is a self-identified "gamer" first and foremost, who believes in scaling down built-up ares (such as Hougoumont) in the interests of playability.

The irony is that in the aftermath of the game -- despite his multiple use of the term "Huge-Mont" -- he BOUGHT THE HOUGOUMONT BUILDINGS from the most fine-scale-modeller among us, whose collection predominantly consists of museum quality figures.

Perhaps the lesson is, if you are a "gamer" first and foremost, who finds overly detailed terrain an impediment to play... DON'T PLAY GAMES FEATURING NICE BIG SETS OF ELABORATE BUILDINGS, or you may be won over to the other side!

For myself, I'm very happy the buidlings will be staying "in the family" so to speak, so we'll all be able to play more games with them.

Here's a few teaser pics...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:27:03 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
Re: History reversed at Hougoumont
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »
A lovely looking game.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
It is a seriously good looking piece of totally out scaled (unless skirmish gaming) kit :)

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
That is fantastic!  I can't wait to someday assault the place.  Dare I ask?  Do the roofs lift off?

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
REPLIES?!?!?!

Thanks very much for the comments, my friends!

@happyhiker: thank you for putting up the first comment, and for making it a compliment!

@Jabba: the rules & scenario author and host of the game, had your attitude as well!  Most of the time we play larger tactical or grand tactical actions, but once in a while, particularly when it's built around a built-up area -- The Alamo, the Hacienda de la Trinidad at Camerone, etc. -- it can be fun to go 1:1 with the treatment of the ground scale!

@Leapsnbounds: some of the buildings do have removable roofs.  I'm certain the BARN and CHATEAU do, and the Chateau has a lift-out SECOND FLOOR as well.

Here's a link to the HOVELS online catalogue page where all the component pieces for "Hougoumont" are listed.  If you click on the BLUE item numbers at the far left, a photo of the piece comes up.  I think the written descriptions for each item also include if it has a removable roof...

http://www.hovelsltd.co.uk/hougomont25.html

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »
@Mad Guru, we have the same model at our club and it is used in our Waterloo games and it looks stunning. However with the rules allowing occupation by only one (or two can't remember off hand) battalion and that being represented by 18 to 24 figures it can look a little "under staffed" so to speak.

Offline Plutarch64

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 01:48:06 AM »
Great looking game (as is Jabba's). I have the Hovels set languishing in a box somewhere, and purchased more with a view of a large skirmish game.

I purchased mine unpainted and will probably follow the Hovels painting guide which is helpfully provided on their site, although I much prefer painting with acrylics nowadays. It looks like these were done following their recommended Humbrol colours though, which do look very nice.