Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mutants and Death Ray Guns Campaign question  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Gimgamgoo

• Student
    • Gimgamgoo's Painting Blog
Mutants and Death Ray Guns Campaign question
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »
So, my wife and I were working through a campaign of Mutants and Death Ray guns.
I used 4 Humans. She had 3 Mutant humans, 1 mutant insect and 1 mutant dog.
After the first game, the humans were defeated, 1 died to a gruesome kill, the other 3 died.
They only managed to kill one mutant.

I get to replace my gruesomely killed human and other dead with new recruits.
My wife's mutant suffered 2 survival roll fails and has to miss the next game.

So in other words, dying is better than surviving.
I died and get a replacement.
She survived but is down a figure for the next match?

We kind of didn't think this fair.

Failing 1 survival roll is -1 Q for the next game.
Failing 2 survival rolls is "miss a game"
We decided failing 2 survival is -1 Q and -1 C for the next game instead of missing the game.

It still didn't quite seem fair, but seemed a better fix.

What does anyone else do with the "miss the next game" survival fails, when a dead character would have been totally replaced.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:43:05 PM by Gimgamgoo »
Gimgamgoo
Painting Blog: https://gimgamgoo.com/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: Mutants and Death Ray Guns Campaign question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »

Gimgamgoo, I don't play M&DRG, but as far as I know the SoBH-engine campaign system really sucks! In F&F, for example, all characters that are not Unique come back next game, even those who were killed in the most gruesome way! 

As you've said, it doesn't make sense at all if it's better dying than surviving!

Maybe the latest edition of SoBH have a better campaign system... I think it's worth to check it out.

I also suggest you to check out the rules with more experienced players, and change what don't suits your style of game!

Good luck and have fun! ;)   
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Randall

• Student
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »
Remember that the winner gets the loser's equipment and replaced dead models don't have any extra food or fuel cells.

If you lost the game you lose the equipment and loot carried by the dead models.  Your opponent will pick them up as spoils of war.  Your replacement models have equipment as normal but will not have any Food Points or extra Energy Cells with them: they only have the Cells in their weapons.

Plus, the winner gets an Advance for one of their characters.

I agree that the Campaign Rules could be more robust.  Maybe there have been some changes with the new additions, like Project Simian Ultra X?  I don't know.

But, the rules are ripe for tweaking, so I bet there are some helpful players here who have made their own house rules and/or can point to some other resources.  Good luck in your future battles! (I'm rooting for the mutants!--go muties!) ;D

Offline Gimgamgoo

• Student
    • Gimgamgoo's Painting Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

A penalty of 1Q is an annoyance for the winner with their dead characters, but hopefully is balanced out by the fact they have an extra advance and all the opponent's dead character's gear.

We'll try out the 1Q, 1C penalty for a character instead of "miss a game" and see if that balances ok.

I know it's not really the sort of game to be "tournament balanced" and is really just a fun game for an evenings play. However, looking through the AdvSoBH rulebook which I just bought (along with Ace and Brimstone, FF, Hammer and Forge), it seems AdvSoBH goes pretty heavy into points balancing, whereas MDRG is more of a "lets have a 5 figures v 5 figures game". Is SOBH played competitively?