Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Few Questions on Spectre Operations  (Read 1158 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Few Questions on Spectre Operations
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
    My buddy and I are looking a this set but have a few questions. Generally speaking we want to do a game wherein we each have a small special ops team and we compete to see whose team does the best in the same scenario, e.g., well play the scenario once with his team and me playing the bad guys and then flip sides for the same scenario. It would be a globe hopping game so one scenario might be against insurgents in The Middle East and the next against drug lords in South America, etc. Here's what we'd like to know:

• How many figures are required on each side to run each of the scenarios in the book? Is the game meant to be small or large skirmish? We are mostly looking for a small figure count game (say a dozen figs per side)
    • What combinations of weapons do you need on a team and what would be a good mix for a starting force, i.e.,  how many MGs, grenadiers, etc.
    • There's a huge amount of tokens available. Which ones and how many are actually required for play?
    • I see there's a free digital set of the rules floating around on the Web that were from the KS. How different are the available print set? Can I play an accurate version if the game wth these rules as a test drive before buying the print copy or have the rules changed substantially since these?
    • I see there's a new Cartel faction. Can this be played from the book, or will there be downloads or a supplement? Same question really for all the factions in the book and those forthcoming.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:59:40 PM by axabrax »

Offline ChargeDog

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Few Questions on Spectre Operations
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:11:58 PM »
Hi, here are some answers

1. Scenarios in the book are examples . However, it's very easy to throw your own scenario together of whatever size you would like. I've played it with as few as four figures a side or larger games with 60 insurgents vs 32 fighters
2. There are some limitations on the numbers for heavier support weapons but the a standard 4 man fire team (2 assault rifles, 1 assault rifle w/ UGL, 1 LMG) works well as a base.
3. If you're playing pretty standard games (with no undercover units), you'll want the wounded, suppression, tactical, overwatch and AOE templates at least. However, you can play with bits of cardboard and writing on if you don't want to get them yet.
4. The free digital set are quite different from the print copy. The core ideas of the mechanics are there but a lot has been tweaked and changed, especially with the introduction of the squad rules.
5. All the factions (including any you can think of in a modern warfare situation) can be played from the main book. There aren't any specific rules for each faction, it's more a case of selecting the appropriate gear and experience levels

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Re: Few Questions on Spectre Operations
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
Thanks!