Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:35:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 45th NYSV also known as the 5th German Rifles  (Read 1277 times)

Hadrian39

45th NYSV also known as the 5th German Rifles
« on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:23 AM »
Just put the finish to a 24 figure regiment of Union Infantry
Based to Black powder/Warhammer basing.
Flags are GMB which just required the numbers to be painted in.
The unit represents the 45th New York Volunteers also known as the 5th German rifles.
Served throughout the war as the table shows.  Hope you like them. :)
(Table taken from New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. Frederick Phisterer. Albany: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912.)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 45th NYSV also known as the 5th German Rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
Nicely painted. Figures are Sash & Saber?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Nice work. I like the eagle on the drum.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »
Great looking unit

Hadrian39

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
Thank you for the kind words!
Figures are a mix of mostly Old Glory, Sash & Saber and another manufacturer not sure who.  Was trying for the rough and ready look I always think of when painting ACW.
I will post better photos when I have the lights replaced for my camera setup.

Offline Extrabio1947

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »
Seeing a Union regiment in regulation dress is a real treat!  Very well painted and based. A lot of talent on display here.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »
Seeing a Union regiment in regulation dress is a real treat!  Very well painted and based. A lot of talent on display here.

Indeed, lovely work!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 03:42:27 AM »
Wonderful! Looking really good, and I hope to see more soon. The painting is very sharp. As a matter of fact, the 45th NY is the next-but-one on my list of regiments to paint for my 2nd Bull Run project.

Here is an interesting anecdote taken from a history compiled by former soldiers of the 45th, recalling the first day of Gettysburg:

A remarkable incident happened (brought to our knowledge as we talked with some of our former prisoners): One of the Confederates, named Schwarz, asked whether his brother, who belonged to our Company " B," was among us. This brought out the fact that the interrogator was among the prisoners taken from McLean's red barn, and as Companies A and B, under Captain Korn and Lieutenant Lindemeyer, took most of the prisoners at and in' the barn, he recognized his brother of Company B, and they embraced right there and then, not having seen each other since they left Germany many years previous. The brother, of Company B (Corporal Schwarz), was killed while his Confederate brother was being marched to the rear as our prisoner.

One of those stranger-than-fiction (and often quite sad) events that one finds in a civil war.

Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Hadrian39

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 01:52:35 PM »
Thank you for the kind words again folks.  And thank you Gangleri for the very interesting anecdote.  The American Civil War is such a unique period with regards family and friends fighting on different sides and the number of chance encounters and tragic coincidences goes on and on. Very similar in many respects to the English Civil War for its effects on families and communities, which I also like to paint and used to game as well.
As far as more units,  I have several in various stages of completion.  But since I don't game anymore, all my close gaming friends having passed away or living on the other side of the country, I paint as the mood strikes me in any period or type.  Once I finish a unit I typically look at them for awhile and then sell them on.  Case in point I have already put this unit up for sale and it can be found in the appropriate section.  What little joy I get now is researching and putting a unit together and displaying it here for feedback.

Take Care