Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690766
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Beyond the Gates of Antares Games  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
First Beyond the Gates of Antares Games
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
I have been meaning to post links to my Beyond the Gates of Antares games from my blog, but hadn't gotten around to it. Rather than usurp the existing BTGOA thread, I thought I would give them there own.

First, I tried out the Drone Integration scenario that Warlord put out as introduction. I thought the cut down rules didn't work as well, but it was quite fun when I used the full rules.

http://wargamestuff.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/beyond-gates-of-antares-first-games.html

This next one was my first "proper" game. 500 points a side. Fun, but it didn't pan out quite as expected.

http://wargamestuff.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/beyond-gates-of-antares-unexpected.html

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: First Beyond the Gates of Antares Games
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
Great game and good write up, I haven't played yet and have Isorians and am really looking forward to it

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: First Beyond the Gates of Antares Games
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »
Good reports, thanks for sharing them!

A good tactic for Concord vs Ghar is to try burying the Ghar under pins - this works well because directly wounding the battlesuits is hard, and their numbers tend to be low. By having the Plasma Lances in each Concord Strike squad fire at a different unit the rest of their squad, each Strike squad gets to inflict at least one pin on two separate enemy units (as you get a pin simply by taking hits from enemy fire, even if they don't wound). This means that two Strike squads can reliably put two pins on two units per turn, whereas if each squad fires wholly at one enemy squad, they can only ever inflict one pin on each enemy unit under the same circumstances.

Where I found the rules get complicated quickly is in the details of all the special rules - terrain, indirect fire, unusual weapons, crewed support weapons, ammo types, etc. Hopefully you'll pick them quicker than I did though! ;)

I might also suggest "forcing" a terrain setup to represent something specific for a scenario as well - I personally find it helps games better than simply putting a mixture of terrain pieces evenly across the board. Likewise, a variation in terrain density helps different units be relevant in each game (a lesson I learnt from playing Infinity!).

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your further progress and reports. B)