Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689489
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help - figures suitable for the Tirah campaign on the NWF  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Help - figures suitable for the Tirah campaign on the NWF
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
Thanks LM, I'll see if I can get to see some at Salute. The highlanders at Dargai is the event that always sticks in my mind, so I want to make sure I get some nice figures.

Incidentally, found that thread, Hobbit - it was an old one - my fault for not paying attention.

Al
The Britannia Highlanders are nice sculpts and would be suitable. :)

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 05:18:17 AM »
Thanks LM, I'll see if I can get to see some at Salute. The highlanders at Dargai is the event that always sticks in my mind, so I want to make sure I get some nice figures.

Incidentally, found that thread, Hobbit - it was an old one - my fault for not paying attention.

Al

Ah! I spoke to Mrs Empress Miniatures at Hammerhead on Saturday. The range is very much on the backburner but most definitely ISN'T dead. Apparently Mr Empress miniatures keeps on muttering about it but gets distracted by other subjects (I guess he's just like all other gamers  lol). He had mentioned it to her in conversation earlier in the week. Soooooo don't write it off but don't hold your breath either.

Incidentally I saw the Studio Miniatures figures in-the-flesh (I'm sure we should say in-the-lead) for the first time (they've been around for a while) and I think they look nicer* than on the website.

Hope that helps a bit.

*other opinions may vary.

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
I do the NWF in the late 1890s.
If you don't mind figures with the wrong type of small arms and are not a total stickler for service kit then for the British and Piffers you can use Foundry and Pontoonier, and for the opposition I use Foundry, Empress Jazz Age and the odd Studio cast.
I'm glad to hear Paul is thinking of doing a range, always room for more....especially civilian types which are very difficult to find.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
The Old Glory Pathans are reasonably good for the most part. Probably amongst the best of OG's entire catalogue, much of which is, um.. an acquired taste.

I've just bought some of Michael Perry's new Pathans - they are gorgeous: essentially a full retread of the Afghan Tribesmen he did for Foundry, what, 20 years ago? Those remain  some of the best figures, anywhere, ever, IMHO, and he's basically just doubled the available range - the new ones being a whisker bigger, but not so's you'd notice.

In my NW Frontier collection I'd previously used the Foundry Afghans and some Sikhs, alongside the Foundry Darkest Africa Baluchis. Yes, being Copplestone, they are fractionally larger, especially the 'character' figures, but again, not to an appreciable degree - and I'm fussy about these things.

What I'm not fussy about is pinpoint historical accuracy in the question of the correct webbing for 1887 vs 1897 etc.
British infantry in khaki with breech-loading rifles are British infantry in khaki with breech-loading rifles from more than 6 inches away. So I'd go for the Perry plastic set which are a/ superb b/ cheap. But that's just me. I do appreciate there are more fastidious people who like their toy soldiers to be 'right'.

The original Foundry British colonial figures are definitely on the slight side. More so than the Afghans.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
I believe Copplestone have Indian troops with M-H rifle in their Africa range?
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 09:26:30 PM »
I have quite a number of OG Pathans, and they do paint up very nicely, so I recommend them. Especially, if you are looking to field about 400-600 infantry, then these mix in well with other companies (not old Ral Partha, however).

If you take a look at my NWF articles in Wargames Illustrated, you will see lots of OG Pathans mixed in with Foundry, and I think you will agree.

For British and Anglo-Indian units, I have Foundry. But, there are quite a few companies of late that have made some very, Very nice sculpts for these ranges. And of course, I'm mad over the new Perry figures (Afghan War units) as well.

Regards,
Bob G

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like I'm going to be busy at Salute. Got to resist to avoid adding too much to the lead pile - already got too much to ever paint - but not enough willpower to stop. Which WI numbers have your articles in, Bob?
When I have a batch ready, I'll post some pics. Have a few Foundry figs suitable for the pathans and a handful of the Guide infantry which I did a while ago, so I'll take a couple of pics then. Enjoy making scenery so I'll have a bash at some of that.

Al