Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First impressions of FfoL and reason to buy yet another set of rules...  (Read 1762 times)

Offline LiptonIzer

• Lurker
Hello everybody! My first message on this forum, but I felt that I have to try to give something back for all the inspiration this site has given me!
It started with my colleagues asked me to find a game for one of our afterwork meetings. They knew that I paintīnīplay, some have tried and some are quite suspicious...I knew that the Old West would be the choice, so what rules to use? I read trough LotOW and Gutshot again, good games, but not the ultimate match for my colleagues. Then I found FfoL Reloaded, bought the Pdf, read through the rules and I think i found it!
So time to pick out the OW buildings and try it out with my testsquad, my sons, 11 and 16 years old. We had a blast. They get a grip of the rules from round two, it was fast action and a lot of twists, out of ammo in the absolute wrong moment, hand to hand is deadly for sure! The use of the cards are great, a "six" or a "two" can change a lot. You can never be sure what your opponents are up to, what cards they have and what possibilities it gives them.
Even if I like different weapons, I think that it works well in this game with just pistol, rifle, bow and a few more. Easy to learn, you get to play directly, no need for a lot of explanation. Maybe not so historical correct, more like a movie, and it suites me perfect right now. The Quick reference sheet explains the most and is a good handout.
After a couple of small games I just had to order the tokens and the FfoL deck...
Some photos from the some of the first games, canīt compare painting skills with many others here:

The absolute first set up...

One of the early games. We had some issues how to jump down from the roof, but sometimes the fathers common sense matters...

Final stand on High street...One of each left, can you find the mexican?

Tomorrow it is time for the final test before the colleague game...the new team of clan members are in the picture, not historically correct either, but easy to differ from the others!

Might be time to fix the table as well, some paint at least...

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Nice town you have there with plenty of scatter terrain. Thanks for your impressions of the rules and hope your game goes well.

You are probably right to paint the table but it doesn't look too bad as it is, right sort of colour even if you can see the wood chips :)

Will you texture it first, the are a couple of interesting posts In the workbench board, this is one of them. http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96402.msg1192475#msg1192475
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:48:13 AM by Vagabond »

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Looks like a good set up you have there.
I have played FfoL a number of times and find them great fun and very easy to learn.
I put on a display at Legionary, Exeter, UK last year and everyone that tried it found the rules very easy to pick up.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Today we're having a game of FofL... Doctor Who and U.N.I.T. verses the Daleks!
We're going to use the rules straight from the book with no tweaks, except certain of the demented pepperpots, will have 'shotgun blasters'!

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Online BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Great to hear you're liking the rules! Yes, they are more Hollywood than historical. They were written with the very "pick up game" reason you're using them for. That doesn't mean they aren't tactical or a campaign isn't fun, too.
The town looks great. Scatter terrain is really what brings these towns to life.
Harry, PLEASE post the Dr Who game. Wasteland Warriors is taking a backseat to some other FfoL projects right now. One of them being a Sci-Fi version.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
My Dear Baron,
Your command is my wish, as always. I'm going to post the AAR in the 'future wars' part of the forum. All I can reveal so far is that giving the Daleks (My blokes were the Earthlings :() extra firepower... wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

:'(

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
My Dear Baron,
Your command is my wish, as always. I'm going to post the AAR in the 'future wars' part of the forum. All I can reveal so far is that giving the Daleks (My blokes were the Earthlings :() extra firepower... wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

:'(

We all have days like that. lol