Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:41:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood Eagle goes digital (Commercial)  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Blood Eagle goes digital (Commercial)
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
Warriors and Shieldmaidens,

The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare is pleased to announce that a digital PDF version of these popular rules is now available from our friends at S'n'M Stuff http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/blood-eagle-e-book/.

The full rule book is on sale for the princely sum of £7.50.

The Ministry's other rule book, Daisho - skirmish warfare in mythical Japan, is also now available in digital format for the same low price http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product/daisho-e-book/.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Longstrider

• Bookworm
Re: Blood Eagle goes digital (Commercial)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
Oh happy day! Much easier to convince myself to buy the rules out here in Canadia. Is the plan for IHMN Gothic to go digital eventually, as well?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:33:00 PM by Longstrider »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
Once we have gone through a goodly number of the print copies, yes.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:47 AM »
Usually when people buy the pdf´s it should allow to print them.
First time i bought some from you and they are blocked to print.
If i new that before i wouldnt buy them. >:(

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 10:14:03 PM »

That's a shame.  I like pdfs to read 'on the go' but paper for reference during the fame.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll avoid for now.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »
My "mobile" reader is a laptop with a dead battery  :'( .  I'd like to pick this up without the absurd shipping costs and enjoy the expediency/instant gratification of PDF then I can print a copy to play with but I'm done buying a PDF then a physical copy from any publisher whether I think they make great games or not.

edit:

Awesome!  I managed to find a hard copy of Blood Eagle with a discount that amounted to the shipping.  I have a bit of a wait but soon enough pleasant paper will be flicking under my fingertips :) .
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:10:13 AM by horridperson »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »
Not terribly pleased about that myself.

I can get around it, but I shouldn't have to. I also may have skipped them (Blood Eagle and Daisho) had I seen this before purchase.

~Eric

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »
Gentlemen,

This being our first foray into digital we took advice from many sources. These included the editors of popular magazines, other small scale publishers etc. The overwhelming opinion was that for reasons of copyright and security we should lock out the printing option.

We apologise if this has upset you, it was not our intent. We shall take your comments into account for when we make the decision about our next digital release.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
Thank you for the honest reply and I'm not surprised by your action given your sources and the reluctance of traditional print media to embrace the digital age through any other means than a 'paywall'.

I think (though that may be worth the paper this post is made on) that gven the proliferation of tablets, PCs, laptops and phones the old 'print two copies and give one to a mate' has been replaced with 'email to lots of mates in one go'.

The majority of gamers I have played with and against over the years have bought their own copies of the rules so they can read up between games rather than interrupt the gaming flow to read / learn the rules.

For me though, the idea of an unprinterable download does not work - I like to be able to share a print around the table while playing the game and use the PDF etc as fast lookup (minds not as agile as it once was) and find that great production (layout, pic and rule content) leads my to buy the rules more than not if I'm introduced to them during a taster game.

Saying all of that - it's your business model and please keep producing great games as you have done previously.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
I also thank for your answer, Craig.
I dont mean to make a bad publicity on you but try to understand that for me and probably for others when we buy a pdf we are paying for a thing we should be abble to print (in my case for free) and not be limited to tablets or computers.
Like i said if i knew before buying i would never done it for the rules arent usefull for me.
I like paper and i have no patience to game with either a computer or a tablet constantly interrupting the game not to mention i already have to deal with computers at work.
I understand perfectly well your need to protect your work but at least have the decency of warning your costumers before buying it. In my case it was 2 sets of rules i will never use them just because they are blocked to print. :(

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »
I really wish that people would understand that if you enjoy what a particular company does, and you'd like to see it continue, you need to drop some cash! I'm on a very tight hobby budget too, so I understand the struggle, but good product deserves support, and that means money too. So pony up and buy a book or two, and your favorite company may just be able to continue.

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:08 AM »
I really wish that people would understand that if you enjoy what a particular company does, and you'd like to see it continue, you need to drop some cash! I'm on a very tight hobby budget too, so I understand the struggle, but good product deserves support, and that means money too. So pony up and buy a book or two, and your favorite company may just be able to continue.

But people are dropping money if they buy the PDF's, nobody's advocating piracy here - they may be the cheaper option, but I'd imagine (I may be completely wide of the mark here, would be interesting to see numbers) profit margins would be better on digital options.

I buy PDF's so that I can print them at work, that way I have a printed version to leaf through in game and save on shipping physical copies halfway across the world. I'd much rather have a nice, properly bound and professionally printed book but if I can save some dollars (which would have been going to the post office or courier company, anyway) then I can spend more on miniatures, meaning I get to support not one, but two of my favourite companies with that money.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »
Gentlemen, Charles and I are discussing this at the moment, consulting various illustrious members of the community and, seeing what can be done about it.

No promises, but we have heard what you have said.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »
The Men from the Ministry have an Announcement to make about our digital books.

In response to feedback received, we've decided to enable printing from the PDFs.

Details can be found here on our blog:
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/daisho-blood-eagle-pdfs-now-printable/

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »
Kudos to you for listening and being reasonable about the issue.

I can only speak for myself but sincerely: thank you.

And I will be purchasing print versions to show my thanks as well. I'll keep your printed copies as "archival" versions and get spiral bound prints to beat up.

~Eric