Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pics from a recent AK47 game in 15mm  (Read 2798 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pics from a recent AK47 game in 15mm
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:57:02 PM »
Got in a very exciting and enjoyable game using the AK47 rules last week. I can write up an AAR if there is any interest. But for now I will just put up the pictures I took with a few words to explain.

A few pics of the battlegound

The town

The oil refinery

Gah photobucket is playing up so will do more pics later

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pics from a recent AK47 game in 15mm
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »
Once again thanks for getting (any) pictures onto the net.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »
Love the look of your buildings.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
Lovely stuff. Those terrain pieces are each beautifully detailed and tell a little story.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »
Lovely stuff. Those terrain pieces are each beautifully detailed and tell a little story.

I agree has.been has some lovely terrain. The game was even more exciting! I will try again to put the rest of the pics up tonight.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:24:38 PM »
Great terrain, but where are all the combatants? I see a tank, but my experience with this great game is to expect wall-to-wall militia.

Looking forward to seeing the other photos ...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »
One last pic of the terrain with a wrecked T55

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
Trying again with photobastard..

My army

My initial defensive deployments: Tanks guarding the oil refinery. Troops with a mortar in the township and armoured cars patrolling the road

Troops holding the hill

My opponent's 2 mortars and two units in trucks in reserve . He couldn't get his tanks on at the start

he started off with this horde of militia advancing pell-mell from the opposite corner. I moved my armoured cars up and shelled him from long range but didn't check his advance.

next move he was on me and had knocked out an armoured car.
I had to move my tanks into the battle. His militia swarmed over my armour and used RPGs with deadly effect

In the meantime he had been mortaring my troops on the hill but with no effect. I decided he must want that hill pretty bad so I dug in

He positioned a truck mounted unit supported by a recoilless rifle ready to advance

meanwhile the battle raged on the road. His pesky militia were all over me. My armoured units were plagued with constant mechanical breakdowns and ammo supply problems. While his lightly armed militia took casualties, he had successfully tied up my big guns

I put my troops in the town on alert to be attacked

But his militia withdrew leaving smoking wrecks of scrap metal and barbecued crewmen

His main attack came on the hill. I knocked out his RR technical with a lucky shot and he debussed to assault on foot

More later!!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:17:32 AM by vodkafan »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 11:46:49 AM »
I fired at the flank of his attacking troops from the town as he approached the hill and his force took several casualties. I expected him to give up. He didn't.

At this point we both diced and got our reinforcements. Mine was a light armoured car unit and his was his precious tanks. The rules allow him to come on from any direction and he declared that he would come on from behind me. I figured he was after the oil refinery. My breakdown sorted out, I managed to pull my solitary T55 back.

My opponent pressed on with his attack on the hill with support from his two mortars in the village. I had been lucky so far with his mortars not scoring any hits but I could not count on that continuing. His troops stormed the hill and I lost my first line of bases.  A fierce battle began. We got engrossed in the game here and I forgot to take pics.

Meanwhile his tanks had appeared. A suicidal gun duel started between his T34s and my battle weary tank

To try to relieve the pressure on the hill I attacked the mortars in the village with my reinforcement armoured car unit, but his defending infantry soon brewed up one of my tin cans

Unbelievably the tank gun duel lasted for the 3 final turns of the game, with all combatants either missing or shots bouncing off. I managed to hold his tanks off.

The battle on the hill was very exciting. I had zips in the wire!  There was no line of defence, my troops bases and his were intermingled . We both mortared our own positions in desperation. It was utter carnage. Eventually I won the battle with 3 bases left to his 2. But then I failed my morale test and had to withdraw, leaving my enemy in possession of the objective and the hilltop littered with dead piled on dead. What a fight!

I retained 2 of the 3 objectives (marked by the animals) so I had narrowly won. It was a great game! Many thanks to has.been for putting it on for me and all the tea and snacks.
Comments welcome.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »
I was getting excited by your battle report, and I was there!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
I was getting excited by your battle report, and I was there!

I know I got excited again writing it! That battle for the hill! And the tank duel!

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
Love the visceral action-filled report!

I'd like to know where the technicals and cars come from.
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Mensn

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »
Great report. Do you use the old AK47 rules or the newer ones?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
The cars & technical were from my childhood. Knowing I was interested in  model railways, my youngest brother used his pocket money to buy me a car transporter. It contained some of the (then) latest cars. The problem was collecting  1930s Great Western Railways. I never felt I could get rid of it, so it languished in my 'pile' for decades, then along came AK47 (the original version) where 'a tank is a tank is a tank' I realised I could use the cars as my 'trucks' Big nostalgia kick every time they drive into town (with all the troops piled in & clinging on for dear life).
If anyone has not tried AK47 I fully recommend it. Lots of fun things:-
Dicing up your country's name & flag for starters, through to a mini game to find out the winner (After the fighting) Yes I have won the fighting, only for my opponents propaganda dept (free press THEY claim)to put a winning spin on it.
Nice mechanisms such as a dice is thrown at the end of a move & the score taken 'off the run down clock' (so if 6 points remain, this could be the last move OR there could be up to six more moves. Yes it can be important, I have launched an all out attack, on what I hoped was the last move, to take the hill (or other target) only to find I have to cling on for 3 or 4 more moves. Lots of laughs on every game I have played, though that might also be down to who I play as much as what rules I use.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
great job..wonderfully done.