Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need Advice - Sarissa Precision vs. Terra Blocks  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
Re: Need Advice - Sarissa Precision vs. Terra Blocks
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »

The primer I used (based on recommendations here on Lead Adventure) is Rustoleum Primer-Sealer.  But that's in the US.  The important thing is that it needs to be a binding sealer to prevent the MDF from just absorbing paint.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:59 PM »
I've no idea why your having such issues.I've never primed mdf buildings,in fact I never prime card builds be it cereal pact like this one or preprinted Ho buildings I rescale for 28mm.
I always detail up mdf buildings  with cereal packet card. I just apply straight from the pot base coats of colour ,then dry with a hairdryer at every stage. From there on until I apply a spray matt varnish.
Mark.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
I hate painting MDF. The surfaces tend to take on a fuzzy/suede look because MDF is such a "thirsty" material. I have tried various methods of sealing the surface before painting and none of them are really satisfactory. Surface detail is especially problematic.
I bought a special primer for MDF in a construction shop in germany. The shop is Bauhaus. It works well, fighting the big thirst of MDF
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
I hate painting MDF. The surfaces tend to take on a fuzzy/suede look because MDF is such a "thirsty" material. I have tried various methods of sealing the surface before painting and none of them are really satisfactory. Surface detail is especially problematic.

Try ready-made PVA (polyvinyl acetate) craft paint! ;)

If using standard acrylic paint, a little sandpaper in round motions before painting fights the MDF "thrist" for paint, followed by a thin layer of shellac (a natural bioadhesive polymer) sealing applied with an old and wide brush. Let it dry well (can use a hair drier if in a hurry) before applying paint.

My personal favourite: sandpaper + PVA craft paint!  ;)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:00:50 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
Before you paint MDF check the surface out.  It should be smooth and have sealed sort of sheen, near matte look to it, no grain or directional lines.  Laser cut MDF should have a slight tackyness to the surface and show some burn marks to it to.  The manufacturing process of MDF is done in a roller press like manner (for the detail crew I say like), a bit like making rolled steel.  As such the surface is sealed by the resins and the process.  If the surface has been sanded then thats your problem.  Its your grade/quality of MDF.

Sealing it...  stop - n - just paint your base colour and get going.