Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: “Fire in the hole!” - time to kick some ass!  (Read 36393 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: “Fire in the hole!” - Vietnam revisited - Big Tropical Trees!
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2020, 02:32:55 AM »
So, Digits, I know you've been distracted with other things like Pulp and Nappies for a bit, but, when you get back to this project, just a little reminder: we haven't seen the village house and it's carp pond finished up yet.  Nor the carp in the pond!   lol 

Came back to re-consume the whole thread as I tried to get some work done on my own jungle today.  Tried but not much progress because working at home and 'work' got a bit busy plus I had other tasks around the house in need of my attention.  Being in 15 mm, I have to create more trees to cover a similar space (at least in my mind I have to) so I'm setting out to do a minimum of 36 trees but trying something different from the twisted wire.  We'll see how it turns out in the end.  At least, if it does turn out, it can be used in many different settings, anywhere there are tropical rain forests.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks to seeing Ash scratch making some village buildings, I happened across my own resin buildings whilst hunting through my garage, and decided that it was about time I did something with them, in order that I may finally actually get to play a game utilising my jungle trees!  Besides, I also realise I have started far more projects than I will ever get to finish, so I’m revisiting a few of my favourites  ;)

I finally made about a dozen of the trees, which should be enough for a reasonable game table, coupled with lower vegetation etc. (You can see them all in my Daftest Africa thread)

So first off, the buildings.  I picked these up years ago for a few shekels on eBay.   I now realise they are ill fitting and using boiling water to try and bend roofs into place is only mildly effective.  Still, I have done what I can.  I realise!they didn’t come with stilts so that’s going to be my first job.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Cheers Paul.   

I may finally get to order some civilians from you!  Are there likely to be any more in the pipeline or are they done with?

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Things always get added to but not at the moment.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Excellent...

Those huts were a very good find, couldn't see anything like that online.
In my head that's sort of what I imagined my DIY efforts would end up looking like, then reality stepped in and I realised I'd spent a day & a half super gluing my fingers together. Combined with 'teddy-bear fur' my hands ended up looking like they'd been tarred & feathered. It was however a cathartic exercise, as I now no longer wish to make anymore huts...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:39:50 PM by Ash »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Excellent...

Those huts were a very good find, couldn't see anything like that online.
In my head that's sort of what I imagined my DIY efforts would end up looking like, then reality stepped in and I realised I'd spent a day & a half super gluing my fingers together. Combined with 'teddy-bear fur' my hands ended up looking like they'd been tarred & feathered. It was however a cathertic exercise, as I now no longer wish to make anymore huts...

lol lol lol lol

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
The resin houses look like these from Barrage Miniatures in Spain.
https://www.barrageminiatures.com/18-asianpacificbuildings

I have their Sampans and Vietnamese Fishing boat.
https://www.barrageminiatures.com/31-boats

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Yup…the same ones.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
I did see those, then saw the price and retreated back to Scroogeville, population Moi...

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
At the time I bought them, I didn’t realise they were from overseas.  Someone sold them as a job lot of ebay.   Tbh…I thought everyone was using them! Lol

Must admit…not keen on the Sarissa ones….but in the hands of someone clever, they could look brilliant.  Have you not tried those?

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com

Must admit…not keen on the Sarissa ones….but in the hands of someone clever, they could look brilliant.  Have you not tried those?

I thought about them, also not that keen (probably a lot more sturdy though), also occured to me that all the stuff I'd end up sticking to them I could just stick to a basic box frame, so went that route instead. More money for beer & Land Rover parts...

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Yours will look fine, don’t worry!

So I realise why I will never collect miniature tall ships, and for that matter why I was a crap scout!  I can not tie a tidy knot if my nuts were on the line!  :?

Still, don’t think it will look too bad painted up I hope….now to do the other one.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Very nicely done! I love how that spruces up the hut and makes it come to life...

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Cheers.  Both done and primed…..just need to figure out how to paint it…I’ve always hated straw / grass roofs!

When painted, I will add a few pots / mats / drying clothing etc to make them “lived in”. In hindsight, I think round tree log posts would have looked better…..hey ho.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 06:11:23 PM by Digits »