Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Getting started - any top tips, and what generic gameboard/mat advice please!  (Read 2031 times)

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
Hi All,  i recently realised that I hardly ever get to game these days, and wanted to have a go at some solo gaming. It occurred to me that I had the full SA package with solo cards and it seems the ideal set up for my needs! I've played only a couple of scenarios previously with a friend, so I am basically new to the game :) Looking for advice and top tips that would help get me going.

Any advice greatly recieved, anything that would facilitate a newbie to get gaming with SA Solo, but I am especially concerned with making a nice generic game board or mat.  What would you advise?  A generic rustic board? 2'x3' or larger? I fancy having a go at the DIY dust sheet/caulk method to achieve this as I wish to keep this as cheap and fun as possible but other suggestions welcome.  Likewise for scenery, what do you think are a minmum numberr of pieces that would have regular usage?  What kind of things get most use? Are there free printable card version you use?

I think I am basically sorted for lurker minis, and can improvise my investigators for the time being.  Thank you for reading this far and for any help :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:49:05 AM by ShortscaleDave »

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
As regards a mat, I'm quite taken with this Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/987582441/subf-x-gaming-mats-wave-ii-by-ceri-design-plus-cus?ref=category_newest

Good price, good postage and nice looking mats.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Yes- it's worth playing.

I'll do a nicer forum post later- but the terrain requirements are "different"

Do you have a favorite short story?

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
Thanks for the kickstarter tip, they look great for the ££!

Wally, that sounds very intriguing, paint me interested in hearing more :)

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Well- it's a short story on further reflection.

After playing quite a bit of this and generating a collection of miniatures that was completely out of control- my advice is as follows.

A little like the LOTR miniatures game (a personal favorite, and highly recommended)- you don't need much to play this game. About 5 Heroes and 10-12 Monsters will gift you with the full range of gaming opertunity the system can provide.

I highly recommend you review your favorite genre fiction, and work with that as a starting point. If you craft a small investigative unit and another cult to go along with them I think you will find that the sum is greater than its parts. For monsters you should have 4-5 Cultists including a cult leader and then a healthy selection of monsters including a zombie or two, mummy and a nice range of monsters of the week. Cultists and Monsters don't experience perfect synergy, but the rules allow you to enhance most critters into a stronger version to meet your needs.

The starter set by U.Mike really contains nearly everything you need to play your first 10 games.

With regards to Terrain or a Playmat, I recomend a vinil or textured canvas 3x3 roll up and a simple selection of trees and barriers to hide behind. A car/truck and a nice centerpiece like a colonial church takes it to the next level. I achieved some decent cover with gravestones and the pegusus hobbies wall set.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Most of my gaming is currently on high density terrain on 3x3 and 2x2 play surfaces. Strange Aeons works perfect,y at this scale.

[Imy][img width=1000 height=750]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x335/WallyTWest/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8k6dnfrl.jpg[/Imy]

I will also say this- this game has given me some of the greatest return on investment in all of my gaming. It's in part to the fact I know some likeminded folks- but it's been a rewarding hobby adventure thusfar with some wonderful peices.

With regards to my own inspiration- I went with the module from the original COC Chaosium line called "The Asylum and Other Tales" along with mostly Uncle Mikes Minis and EM4/Moonraker Metal Minis Dunwitch Detectives... And I am entirely satisfied with the results (despite a slight scale shift between minis). Other inspiration included Pickmans Model, The Dunwitch Horror, The Festival and Color of Outerspace.

Only model I'm trying to hunt down att- is a halfway decent King in Yellow
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:06:02 AM by WallyTWest »

Offline ShortscaleDave

• Scientist
Wow thank you Wally! Great tips, and that is a lovely board set up you have there!! Very helpful :)