Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Rising Sun by CMON  (Read 3765 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Rising Sun by CMON
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »
hang on confrontation & hassefree?
hasslefree is tiny in scale?
confrontation should work relatively well certainly.

Really, depends on the line. I found that the HF barbarians work really well next to Rackham and Bronze Age barbarians. The same goes for their goblins, though this is mostly because I like differently sized gobbos in the same warband.

Other HF minis (especially their humans) are rather small and even work with citadel minis from the late 80s.

Finally the HF dwarf are a complete conundrum: to small for Rackham, to realistic for Citadel, but brilliantly in line with Bronze Age.

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »

Finally the HF dwarf are a complete conundrum: to small for Rackham, to realistic for Citadel, but brilliantly in line with Bronze Age.

Fair enough :).

The one I owned also worked well with LOTR. :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
Fair enough :).

The one I owned also worked well with LOTR. :)

That can indeed be true. I onw the Hobbit box, and while the movies were....well, let's not talk about them, the models were top notch and fit well with Hasslefree/Bronze Age.

One thing, that's alos worth remembering is that Rackham miniatures have HUGE size differences! Some work really well with traditional and realistically proportioned 28mm (Griffin Praetorians, for instance) while others are nearly ogre-sized and possibly rather 40mm (Arakan the Duellist etc.)

This annoyed me when I played Confrontation, but now I see my collection rather at a chance to combine both extremes of traditional styles :)) a good excuse to spend money on toy-soldiers!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »
Though all of the minis are pretty nice, the only one I would like to get is the Kitsune, and it doesn't look like they sell that as a single mini  :(

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
At almost 2 million I'm disappointed with the amount of freebees we're getting. A sixth clan, spread out over 4 (!) stretch goals totalling 290K. Boring. Plastic counters, strongholds, banners, over half of the stretch goals are substitue playing markers. Who cares? Put that up as a cheap add-on. There are so many mythological demons, deities and personalities in the Japanese mythology they could be racing up to double the amount of pledges already but this is just dragging on, imho...
/exit rant.
Leadhead

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
At almost 2 million I'm disappointed with the amount of freebees we're getting.

You are free to not go for it ;)
I like what I'll be getting and would be surprised if the campaign gets no more freebies.  Off course a few more monsters would defenitly be nice for my forbidden Fortress set or to use in other games....
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
People with a compulsive hoarding disorder are never free for not joining in, and you know it  :D.

Offline kaiser

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
The spears are a major pain as most of them were bent but the detail is REALLY good considering the material.
As mentioned above the human sized ones are good, the monsters are most excellent.

I've got both Blood Rage and The Others (the seven sins walk the earth in this game, so lost of demon miniatures), and I'll say that the quality of the plastics, especially for the human sized figures, improved from Blood Rage to The Others, so I'd assume that it would be the case for this game too.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 03:09:53 PM »
At almost 2 million I'm disappointed with the amount of freebees we're getting. A sixth clan, spread out over 4 (!) stretch goals totalling 290K. Boring. Plastic counters, strongholds, banners, over half of the stretch goals are substitue playing markers. Who cares? Put that up as a cheap add-on. There are so many mythological demons, deities and personalities in the Japanese mythology they could be racing up to double the amount of pledges already but this is just dragging on, imho...
/exit rant.

It's a hybrid, so, as a Eurogame, they're not going to have as many additional gameplay components as an Ameritrash game.

In the end, this is a boardgame, not a miniatures line.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
I'm getting more and more enthousiastic over this KS. Those Kami's look really great, the "wailing tree" or whatever it's called is also a must have. The add-on with some Gods will be populair aswell ( don't care for the extra clans, nice fighs, but 6 is enough already ) but yeah, more toys means me very happy  :D.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
I think my Rising Sun box is going to be delivered by Fed Ex today.

UPDATE

Just came in. Tired now. Will look at it tomorrow. Comes with main reatil box, Daimyo box with kickstarter extras, Invading Dynasty box with two news clans, Kami Box with the gods, and Monsters box. 15 pounds all told.

The Oni and monsters are comparable to the gods and monsters in the Mythic Battles Pantheon box. Very nicely done. The plastic deluxe kickstarter replacements for the retail box cardboard components are nice but I think I'd rather just stick with cardboard. The ten figures per clan are interesting but you get one sculpt per class, Bushi, warrior, shin-to and one daimyo and they are clearly board game pieces not mini game pieces. There is a lot of detail for the brush to bring out but some of them have flimsy pvc swords or spears. Like all recent CMON games there are colored plastic rings to remind you who has what pieces on the board. The control panels are flimsy cardboard so you may want to scan them before you use them so you can make more later.

There are no dice. You play little cards, tokens, and coins as commands or resources to indicate what you are doing and you collect incomes or earn honor so it's not a battle game but more like monopoly meets supremacy with two possible reward economies to use for victory. It is a lot of minis for D&D painting if you don't care about the game.

Seems like a good kickstarter and I'm glad everything came in one wave for once.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:33:27 PM by palaeomerus »