Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Women in wargaming  (Read 4942 times)

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Women in wargaming
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »
Well, on that subject, I must say that I've noticed a bit of it.
I tried getting my better half into painting a bit. She surprised me and went for dwarves (She thought they were cute. A distinction any self respecting dwarf no doubt would take exception of.... ::) ).
She also bought a Brettonian lady but was less than charmed with the fair maiden's low cut cleavage. She did realise this was easily fixed with the paintjob, merely paint some clothing underneath.

My (admittedly small) collection of female miniatures doesn't seem to be overly sexualised. I have some infinity Aleph which are a bit sexy, but not extremely.
I do not have a problem with sexy. It has it's place. But there absolutely needs to be an alternative, so well done to those people who work toworth that goal.

My wife no longer paints. She created some extremely nice dwarves. Incredible for a first attempt and they take place of pride in my display cabinet.
She is incredible supportive of my passion. Even taking a lot of pride in showing other people what I create.
I'd love to share this hobby with her, but she didn't quite get the bug.

But I already feel blessed with the interest she shows. As many gamers, my friends tend towards the 'geeky' interests (sci-fi, fantasy and such). Their significant others show varying degrees of interest, but mine, more often than not, actually understands what we talk about.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
Fortunately my wife is an ex re-enactor and gamer, more computer, RPG and card/board games than miniatures but does dabble occasionally. She regularly shoots me out of the sky when we play Wings of Glory. She has also help paint a few British Napoleonics when I started out and often helps with basing if I'm on a deadline for a game.

Offline tim at frontline

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 12:09:37 AM »
I have to tip my hat to my wife Maureen. Who, when I was trading held the fort (stand) while I went on my many wanderings.

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 02:57:16 AM »
We'll be playing our first game of Pulp Alley tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes - I've already scored brownie points by setting our first adventures in Egypt, so we could be on to a winner .

I hope you have fun playing Pulp Alley. Please let us know how it goes.  :D

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »
My wife Jevenkah is amazing in so many ways and I am happy to say when it comes to gaming she is the best player in our entire campaign. To be fair we did meet and and become a couple while playing D&D many moons ago . Since then we've kept the game alive and really enjoyed this creative hobby together with reckless abandon getting all sorts of friends and family involved, in fact my wife even authors a website all about it. On top of it all she can converse with myself and friends on about our fantasy cultures, religions and politics for hours on end. Honestly I do not know how I got so lucky but I am glad I did!   :-*
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:54:45 PM by Teshub »
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 07:37:43 AM »
It was my dear old Granny and her mates got me into wargaming in the first place...

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 09:25:17 PM »
I love it!