Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry's Travel Battles Game  (Read 11426 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Perry's Travel Battles Game
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:21 PM »
TravelBattle Pre-Order available now!
We're very happy to have just received first shots of the figures and terrain from Renedra for TravelBattle, now we can reveal all! The two green plastic 3D terrain boards are 10" squares with roads, hills, ploughed fields, walled areas and six separate buildings. The two boards are different designs but match up neatly side by side with roads connecting. This means you have potentially 16 variations of battlefield by turning the board edges around. The tree tops for the woods are separate to allow figures to be placed in wooded areas. We don't have shots yet (Terry and Renedra really are working their socks off for this release at Salute!) of the buildings and tree tops so what you will see here are mock ups. We also have a photo of the figure frame. There will be two blue and two red frames in each box.
Pre-Orders - we have put up a Pre-Order for TravelBattle on the Plastic Boxes page of our website and we will send them out as soon as we can after Salute. Just order as normal, and remember that monies will be taken at time of order. PLEASE NOTE: If you are going to Salute, and would like one, please DON'T Pre-Order as there will be plenty there to pick up. The direct link to the page is https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 12:43:14 PM »
Not sure about the look of the terrain and square forests, was intending to grab a copy but in doubt now. Will probably await reviews myself this time.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
I am more than before convinced not to be interested. Seems a great idea and opportunity wasted.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »
I'm not a historical guy, But i am a guy with very little time who wants to play games. I also have alove of things that can fit neetly into boxes or that i can steal mechanics from to make my own travel games.

For that reason I am totally on board with this. It's a bit of fun that i can use to make a sci fi game in a tin box, or a fantasy game in a wooden chest, or a dungeon game in a flase book, without having to make new mechanics or try to trim aSoBaH down to postcard size.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 01:55:31 PM »
I'll be interested to see what differentiates this from something like Command and Colours or the multitude of wargame board games you can buy, particularly those that blue the lines between board games and tabletop games.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 03:15:51 PM »
I think this is just the starting point for any number of possible expansions. The initial boxed set is necessarily generic and simplistic, but will no doubt then be built upon with various add-ons to give more options if it takes off.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Meh, love Perry stuff but this doesn't ignite a spark of interest at the moment.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »
It might have been better to start with 18th Century or ACW first then the same figures in different colours wouldn't have mattered so much.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:56:10 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 06:39:05 AM »
Weight of opinion here seems to be one sided, but I think that is set against the forum being inclined towards the 28mm scale and fabulously painted figures with equally fabulous terrain.

I have a bias the other way, I like gridded games and I am strapped for space, I shall be going for this. A few things come out of this for me.

Firstly the Perry's are very innovative and apparently well resourced, against the odds the predictions of many, they brought 28mm plastic into mainstream use, the prospect that they can do this at the smaller scale is quite exciting, as is the talk even at this stage of expansion plans.

It is a true travel set, each board is 10" square, so I can see this doing exactly what it says on the tin and being used as a vacation game, I don't think there is another mass battle figures game that you can conveniently do that with. 

The space / time strapped gamer is going to love this.

The fact that we are seeing Plastic Soldier Company and now the Perry's, both mainstream plastic producers are starting to embrace grided games in a commercial way shows this emerging market as being quite exciting.  It does seem to hold the potential in being the first single step in a word that could truly go in any direction, including the prospect of just plastic armies in boxes and gamers designing their own boards and sets.

I am pretty sure that in the future, this moment will be looked back upon as being significant in te same way as the Perrys ACW1 Generic 28mm plastic figures were.

I am also thinking, plastics NO assembly and paint on the sprue advantages, no blue and red for me!

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »

It is a true travel set, each board is 10" square, so I can see this doing exactly what it says on the tin and being used as a vacation game, I don't think there is another mass battle figures game that you can conveniently do that with. 

Wasn't GW's Battle of the Five Armies set on a similar vein?

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »
hmm at first not convinced - but on reflection it may a great way for younger generation to get into historical gaming with minis -
certainly looks easy to setup and use.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
Weight of opinion here seems to be one sided, but I think that is set against the forum being inclined towards the 28mm scale and fabulously painted figures with equally fabulous terrain.
[...]
The space / time strapped gamer is going to love this.

I get your point, as I'm a 15mm guy and space/time strapped. However, as much as I like the idea, I'm not convinced by what I've seen so far, starting with the price. If I'd want a travel set (and I've thought about this for a while), I'll get a couple of 6mm figures and make my own set - there are rules that could be adapted, even if you want to go for a grid. I also don't like the 'generic napoleonic' figures, I'm no button counter but if I don't use historical figures I'd prefer wooden blocks such as C&C uses. Incidentally, why not use C&C, the rules are probably better anyway?

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
I get your point, as I'm a 15mm guy and space/time strapped. However, as much as I like the idea, I'm not convinced by what I've seen so far, starting with the price. If I'd want a travel set (and I've thought about this for a while), I'll get a couple of 6mm figures and make my own set - there are rules that could be adapted, even if you want to go for a grid. I also don't like the 'generic napoleonic' figures, I'm no button counter but if I don't use historical figures I'd prefer wooden blocks such as C&C uses. Incidentally, why not use C&C, the rules are probably better anyway?

I think Perry set will capture the imagination and get the creative juices of others going, to do their own versions, it seems a small enough project to step up to. C&C is not a solitaire game and it needs more space, that alone may open the ground between the two options.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
Think this is a great way to get my young lads into wargaming sounds  like its going to be quick ,easy and fun game  . just right for a 9 and 11 year old  boy to play with there dad in the garden  :D.

I find its the attention span of my youngest thats the problem in wargaming and if it only takes an hour to play thats great news for me.. General de  brigade takes a bit longer than that !  :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
Wasn't GW's Battle of the Five Armies set on a similar vein?

Not really, it was a full wargame, using the Warmaster rules, on a table. It came with far more figures, but no game board. For terrain it had a large hill and some small ruins.

The figures were also fully compatabile with Warmaster so could be used with those rules and armies.

Can't really make my mind up on this, at first I was very interested, but feel less so now, mainly as I don't really want a travel game.