Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question regarding Gripping Beast SHP04 Pictish/Scots/Irish Boat  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Like the topic header suggest, I have a question regarding this item:
http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SHP04_PictishScotsIrish_Boat--product--2787.html

My Footsore Irish are nearing completion and I am sorely tempted to make them a display base (which will be totally new to me), using said boat.
Now as you can see, the picture doesn't really show anything but sail, so before spending 25 quid plus shippinh, I'd like to be a bit more informed! Anyone own one and can tell me some more about it, or better yet has - detailed - pictures? :)

And before anyone asks, I have already contacted the good chaps at Gripping Beast, who replied to me promptly they are "redoing some photos on the website". Seeing as they weren't really particularly detailed about a time frame for said actions, nor specified if the boat would actually receive 'new coverage', I thought I'd try and ask around here..

So in short, pretty pictures please!!  ;)

Regards,

Ingmar

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Re: Question regarding Gripping Beast SHP04 Pictish/Scots/Irish Boat
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »
Ok, well, that wasn't quite the overwhelming response I was hoping for...  :D lol

Time to look for some alternatives..

Different question then, for all you (amateur) nautical archaeologists out there.. Would a long ship have been used by the Irish
'nobility' during the reign of Brian Boru? I know the skuldelev 3 longship (do visit Roskilde if you ever get the chance!) was build around Dublin, but I seem to recall that being in the hands of norse at the time..

Just want to make sure I get the history as accurate as possible if I start a terrain board..

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
@Humakt
Thank you for the information! I am looking for a ship suitable to look as if it just transported the SAGA warband I painted up. The question I asked Gripping Beast was if they could show me some detailed shots from the ship they sell. Actually, any picture with the product and a semblance of scale and look would have been fine.
The problem is it's apparently a very rare ordeal; I can't seem to find anyone who actually owns one or can tell me something more about it. I'd be tempted to buy the GB Oseberg Longship, but it seems to be a bit Nordic for my tastes! As for my reasons for asking, they are pretty straightforward.
I'm trying to figure out what the scale/quality would be to see if it passes the mark to be bought for a display.
In the most ideal situation the ship would be waterlined and large enough to look like it could transport a full warband or at least a large part of it (one can always buy seconds!). I'd like to be able to use it as a separate piece of terrain.

I envision the following :

A ship recently beached with (part of the) warband standing on the beach, some forests and a hovel or two (thinking Curtey's at the moment), several civilians, some sheep, oxen etc (from GB).  

The hovels/houses, trees would all be removable on separated bases, as would the livestock and part(s!) of the villagers.
Those would be objective markers and scenery usuable in SAGA. Basically I want the stuff I paint for SAGA to look at home in the diorama and the diorama at home on the gaming table... :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:49:32 PM by Ingmar »

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »
This is the first image of the google search "gripping beast pictish boat"

I do believe thats your man!

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
@ayak333 Great! Seems like you glue down the metal hoops to be a guide for the rowing oars on each side of the boat. The steering ore seems to go next to a wooden post on the the right side of the hull (top left).
I'm guessing the metal bit to the left is part of the mast and crossbeam construction, slotting into the main hull.. The only thing I can't seem to place is the L-shaped bit on the left. Would that be part of the mast?

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
To answer one of your other questions; longships would have been used by Brian Boru as a number of the Hiberno-Norse towns along with their ships were subjects of or allied to Boru during that period.

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
@Just John Thanks! Now I'm spoiled for choices all of a sudden! :) Time to go measure some stuff to get a sense of the dimensions a display would ne!

Thanks all for your help!

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
Let me know if you're liking for any plastic longship kits - I have a surplus of unassembled ones from a "might have been" WAB Shieldwall project...

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »
Im interested in a longship if you got one!