Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The right tool for the job - Recommended tools for making terrain  (Read 1207 times)

Online Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Just finished a short article for DaggerAndBrush showing you a selection of tools that will come in very handy for pretty much any terrain project. I keep it simple and recommend a number of tools for cutting and measuring; painting, sculpting and engraving; and tools that are nice to have, but not essential.

So if you just started making terrain or intend to make some this may come in handy.

http://wp.me/p49oPQ-IV

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: The right tool for the job - Recommended tools for making terrain
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
Just finished a short article for DaggerAndBrush showing you a selection of tools that will come in very handy for pretty much any terrain project. I keep it simple and recommend a number of tools for cutting and measuring; painting, sculpting and engraving; and tools that are nice to have, but not essential.

So if you just started making terrain or intend to make some this may come in handy.

http://wp.me/p49oPQ-IV

I like it. I'd suggest you number the tools in the pictures and reference those numbers in the text.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:55:09 PM »
For those still using foam (I've sworn off it because of its lack of durability, the mess, and the ecological disaster it contributes to) a serrated kitchen knife is an essential carving tool.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:14:17 AM »
For those still using foam (I've sworn off it because of its lack of durability, the mess, and the ecological disaster it contributes to) a serrated kitchen knife is an essential carving tool.

A nice piece of volcanic rock is also great for using foam to texture it, and you can often get the piece for free from a garden store...

Online Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 12:12:21 AM »
Good idea adding numbers. Maybe to the more obscure ones, that can not be easily identified.

You can coat XPS with resin to harden the surface. PVA and sand, woodfiller etc. also add a nice protective shell. I do agree that XPS is maybe not exactly good for the environment. That said, I use any off-cuts etc. very little goes into the recycling bin. I did not come up with a good alternative, that is equally light weight and versatile.

The stone texturing is also a good idea. A piece of bunched up tin foil works well, too.