Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690547
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: hero forge figures (Painted 3/20/17)  (Read 6506 times)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
hero forge figures (Painted 3/20/17)
« on: March 14, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
Very Please with the 1st figures I got (not perfect but still really nice)

http://bandit86.blogspot.com/2017/03/hero-forge-review.html

has anyone else used this?

https://www.heroforge.com/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:49:17 AM by bandit86 »
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: hero forge figures
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »

The idea is great, but the finished product is years behind the current industry standard IMHO! ::) 
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
@dinohunrtpoa
Are there other companies that do this better that you know of? this was the only one I knew of

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »
@dinohunrtpoa
Are there other companies that do this better that you know of? this was the only one I knew of

You could always use the heroforge character generator, get a screen shot of your character and then get a regular sculptor to sculpt it for you... I'm not sure about costs...

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
I´ve been trying some figures from Hero Forge figures but so far 29,99 dollars each figure in plastic its still expensive.
Nevertheless a good idea and chance to get that personalised figure if you have the Money.
Let us hope the idea as success and someone starts the same but cheaper. :)

Offline salcor

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
I backed the Kickstarter and received one of the original clear miniatures.  I still need to paint it up, but overall it is a very clean model. The price does seem a little steep, but where can you custom build your figure today.  I am hoping for a few more sci-fi items like different rifles and perhaps a hover cycle mount.

Salcor

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
Let us hope the idea as success and someone starts the same but cheaper. :)

The problem, imho, is that in those 30$ there's a good 20$ of printing and handling. If i'm not mistaken they use shapeways, which isn't extremely cheap especially when you don't hollow your models.
I don't remember if you can purchase the STL rather than printing through SW. That would allow people to use other local printing services.

That said, most of the printing services out there aren't better than this. You might be used to the pulp alley prints, or high-end printed masters, but the machines and expertise involved make those options even more expensive.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »
@dinohunrtpoa

I was meant to be that those HeroForge sculpts are much inferior in terms of crispness of detail and overall quality of the sculpt to pretty much everything that is in the 28mm sci-fi miniature market right now.  ;)

They are a sad example of insanely over-priced, anatomically-challenged and bad finished piece of junk IMHO!  lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:58:25 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »
They are a sad example of insanely over-priced, anatomically-challenged and bad finished piece of junk IMHO!  lol

You're forgetting parametrically-designed, though! :)

Jokes apart, i don't like the output result neither, but i really must tip my hat to the technology they developed. The customization is not a simple "switch the head type", but it involves countless values of a parametrically defined model. That's something seriously impressive to do.
Of course, that means that if you REALLY have a specific model in mind it could be worth printing it. And, for 30$, you can have your unique D&D character. :)

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:11:23 PM »
The designed characters look pretty good, but are really let down by the printing quality. It's a great idea that just needs a decent print to make it worth the cost.

Edit: I reserve the right to change my mind when I see painted figures ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:13:11 PM by axiom »

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 02:38:06 AM »
Jumping in here. My Hero Forge fig:

I'm a tabletop standard painter and I found the printing lines disappeared under a coat of primer and color. Not at all as crisp as a lot of figs out there but certainly playable. Expensive but worth it IMO for that unique character fig for your campaign or crew. 

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 02:45:35 AM »
Jumping in here. My Hero Forge fig:

I'm a tabletop standard painter and I found the printing lines disappeared under a coat of primer and color. Not at all as crisp as a lot of figs out there but certainly playable. Expensive but worth it IMO for that unique character fig for your campaign or crew. 

See in the pictures the difference of the point where the right arm attaches to the shoulder? WTF they throw in the market a lame sculpt like that?!  ;D

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
See in the pictures the difference of the point where the right arm attaches to the shoulder? WTF they throw in the market a lame sculpt like that?!  ;D

You might want to reconsider that: the model is not patched together from various body components, but instead it's a "naked" mannequin to which the details are added. Personally I find the overall result disturbing as well, but i'm sure that the problem is in the positioning of the shoulder pad, not on the basic anathomy.

That said, with all those options i'm sure it's possible to have some weird outcomes. Not entirely their fault though. :D

Cheers
Jack

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
You might want to reconsider that: the model is not patched together from various body components, but instead it's a "naked" mannequin to which the details are added. Personally I find the overall result disturbing as well, but i'm sure that the problem is in the positioning of the shoulder pad, not on the basic anathomy.

The problem is anatomy - or therefore a lack of understanding of it. Measure the arm of the minis in comparison with their torso and you'll come with an ape-like posturing. Awful!

That said, with all those options i'm sure it's possible to have some weird outcomes. Not entirely their fault though. :D

Totally their fault. They sculp the minis after all, don't them?  lol

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »
The problem is anatomy - or therefore a lack of understanding of it. Measure the arm of the minis in comparison with their torso and you'll come with an ape-like posturing. Awful!

Oh, i get what you mean. Proportions are deformed to a comic-style level, i guess. I doubt it was unintentional, although it's understandable why you don't like it. ^^

Totally their fault. They sculp the minis after all, don't them?  lol

That's the point. Yes and no. They offer a parametric model, with several options for proportions, size and gear. It's up to you to choose a set that pleases your taste. ^^