Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:45:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LOTR / Hobbit Battle Companies  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
LOTR / Hobbit Battle Companies
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »
Over the last few weeks, Jack and I have been playing Battle Companies during our lunch break.

In Battle Companies you start off with a handful of rank and file miniatures which you develop over a number of games. I have been playing Arnor and have 4 Warriors of Arnor and three Rangers in my Battle Company. Jack has been playing Isengard and fields five Uruk Hai.

It's a fun little game that we can play in half an hour and track the progress of our characters as they progress from game to game.

I've written a battle report with lots more photos on my Hobby Blog @ http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Hobby-Pages/Hobby-Blog/Games-Workshop-The-Hobbit-SBG-Battle-Companies
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: LOTR / Hobbit Battle Companies
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
Love the cave system terrain, so effective.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »
Love the game and Battle Companies is probably the best way to play it - enjoy!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Finnegan

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
Also a big fan of Battle Companies (playing Mordor most of the time) and hoping to play some more games at the club after the holidays.
Agree with Cubs on the cave system. Looks great!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »
Nice caves, Chris!
 :-* :-*

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:58:01 PM »
Looking good, I never was able to get into battle companies since LotR completely died out.  Might be something worth checking into to play with my kids though. Are the rules readily available?

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
The Battle Companies rules are available as a free PDF from: http://jonathanrbaker.com/battle-companies/

The Caves are made using Sally 4th Terra-Former kits. These are 12" square frames with a range of 31 different profiles for cliffs, hills, roads, rivers, streams, canals, trenches etc. together with rare earth magnets that fit in the sides to hold them together. Once I'd glued the frame together I just dropped a piece of cheap polystyrene in place and cut up some cork bark for texture. I'm planning to make some 'how to' videos over the summer, so will definitely cover making a cave. One of the good points about terra-formers is that you can re-arrange the tiles and know that they will all match up exactly.

Full details on Terra-Former terrain @ http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/terraformer

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
Looking good, I never was able to get into battle companies since LotR completely died out.  Might be something worth checking into to play with my kids though. Are the rules readily available?

I think Games Workshop are working on releasing a new "official" book version later on this year according to The One Ring forum. It is a great little game and it was how I introduced my sons into the hobby.

Back to the thread - great cave system battle boards. I will take a look at your blog later on today too.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »
The Battle Companies rules are available as a free PDF from: http://jonathanrbaker.com/battle-companies/

Cool, that was the first thing I found when I googled the rule set.  Thanks!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
Yes, the free PDF rules worked very well and had everything we needed to get started.

Last week we had a game on a hobbit themed board, once again four Sally 4th Terra-Former tiles.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
Absolutely lovely.that terrain is great, really make those games look like great fun.

I think Games Workshop are working on releasing a new "official" book version later on this year according to The One Ring forum. It is a great little game and it was how I introduced my sons into the hobby.

Yup, They announced recently the merging of all the LotR and hobbit lines into the new Middle Earth strategy battle game, I think coming either later this year or early next.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/