Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A swashbuckling command group  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
A swashbuckling command group
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:48:03 PM »
Well, as this little group have just tumbled out of Steve Dean's latest painting comp, I feel I can now share them  ;)

The Mounted pointing figure and the officer with telescope on foot are from various TAG TYW personality sets. The two mounted figures in burgonets are by Bicorne. And the handsome devil waving his hat is the Copplestone 'freebie' Prince Rupert for Wargames Illustrated mag from a few years back - but mounted on a big, butch Bicorne charger - not the puny pony he came with!  :)

And before anyone asks, no, I'm not using him as Prince Rupert, so no poodle!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: A swashbuckling command group
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:43:27 PM »
Always a pleasure to look at your miniatures.
I'm not big fan of TAG's sculpts and a bit cautious at Bicorne/Renegade (just too big), but you really bring them to life and make them for a great collection. Simply put, I'm inspired and stand in awe again.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:51:06 PM »
Hi CB,

Great work as always coming from you. A couple of questions if I may for an upcoming painter who needs assistance;

What colour technique and paint for the armor and helmet do you use? The reson I ask as I'm painting some different genre away from my own comfort zone an I'm not sure.

If I was painting gloves do I paint them like hands with the detail as shown in the photos? I do paint my hands with as much detail, but I'm not sure with gloves as I've a couple to do on my own figures for a different period.

Thankyou CB,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
excellent brushwork  :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:04:25 PM »

What colour technique and paint for the armor and helmet do you use? The reson I ask as I'm painting some different genre away from my own comfort zone an I'm not sure.

If I was painting gloves do I paint them like hands with the detail as shown in the photos? I do paint my hands with as much detail, but I'm not sure with gloves as I've a couple to do on my own figures for a different period.

Helen,

For armour, I only use black and silver. I start with a 50:50 (ish) mix to give a kind of gunmetal colour base. Then I mix in a bit more silver and water it down quite a lot, to provide a thinner but brighter wash which I apply to most areas of the armour, leaving the darker shade in the corners and crevices. Then I use a third (highlight) of pure silver, watered down, to create highlights on ridges, rivets etc. Sometimes with a final retouch of pure silver (not watered down) to give really bright final highlight here or there. That's how I do it - hope it helps. (By the way, if I want tatty armour, I'd give it a bit of a wash of heavily watered-down burnt sienna, to make it look a bit rusty).

Gloves, I tend to paint the same as hands - just in leathery colours rather than flesh colours.

Cheers

Richard

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »

Helen,

For armour, I only use black and silver. I start with a 50:50 (ish) mix to give a kind of gunmetal colour base. Then I mix in a bit more silver and water it down quite a lot, to provide a thinner but brighter wash which I apply to most areas of the armour, leaving the darker shade in the corners and crevices. Then I use a third (highlight) of pure silver, watered down, to create highlights on ridges, rivets etc. Sometimes with a final retouch of pure silver (not watered down) to give really bright final highlight here or there. That's how I do it - hope it helps. (By the way, if I want tatty armour, I'd give it a bit of a wash of heavily watered-down burnt sienna, to make it look a bit rusty).

Gloves, I tend to paint the same as hands - just in leathery colours rather than flesh colours.

Cheers

Richard

Thankyou very much Richard for your reply and comments.

This advice will go along way in making my life a little easier when painting armour and gloves.

Best Regards,

Helen

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:38:09 AM »
 :o Great work!! The pictures really do your painting incredible justice. The background is very nice as well. Thanks for sharing!! :o
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »
Luvverly stuff as always Richard. ;D

How much time do you spend during the week painting? I am constantly amazed by the voulme and stunning consistency of your work. Truly inspirational  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:20:49 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »
Thanks Nick - Those are very generous words.  :)

Truthfully, I don't spend that much time painting - probably 2 or 3 hours each on saturday and sunday most weekends. Occasionally an hour here or there weekday evenings. Far too many other things to do...

In the first 2 months of 2009 I have painted and finished precisely 12 mounted figures and 6 foot figures - which isn't much of a rate of work really (although I do have almost as many again prepped and in various stages of painting).

Ideally, I'd like to get through twice that amount of lead in a two month period, but what with family, home, work, friends, other hobbies and leisure interests - not to mention time chatting online, and (these days) the very occasional game - it just ain't possible!

Still, as long as I'm getting through the lead mountain, even in a small way, I'm happy  8)

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »
Credit, where credits due, and you definately deserve it. :)

It interests me how much time people devote to the hobby. I am trying to be consistent this year and actually take some time off work!

I am having a day off during the week where I can spend the whole day in peace and quiet and paint.

BUt I have only managed to paint 7 figures so far this year and one vehicle, which doesn't seem to amount to much, given the time I have spent.BUt I am not complaining.

Keep up the great work and continue to post such wonderful eye candy :)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »
Just great stuff captain,

The buildings in the background offset it all very well.

I hope I don't come up against you in LPL3, actually I'm hoping I don't come up against anyone in LPL3  lol

dodge

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
Stunning, I love your painting style :-*

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »
As always:
excellent job!
argsilverson

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
Sad to see them go Captain, but at least I won't have to face them in the later rounds ;)

Great work :-*
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
Sad to see them go Captain, but at least I won't have to face them in the later rounds ;)

I'm rooting for you, Bugs. You totally deserve this one.  ;)

Thanks all, for the great feedback. Very sustaining, even when one gets dumped out of painting comps!  lol