Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dracula's America.  (Read 58796 times)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
Re: Dracula's America.
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
Perry's plastic ACW + hobby soldering iron ???  ;)
:D - was hoping for some smaller packages.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
:D - was hoping for some smaller packages.

You can buy single sprues very cheap from this guy here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Second-City-Games?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

That's how I'm gonna have a mounted posse (and on foot models) of those Southern ragtag dudes!   :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:23:15 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »
You can buy single sprues very cheap from this guy here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Second-City-Games?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

That's how I'm gonna have a mounted posse (and on foot models) of those Southern ragtag dudes!   :D
That is great thank you!

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
I've personally opted for the Red Hand Coven posse deal with a few extras thrown in to start (cause I've always wanted a houngan...).

Really looking forward to these rules as WW games (in general) fit the bill for my preferred style of games i.e. small model count, skirmish, mix of ranged and melee. Throw in some campaign experience and its pretty much my ideal; probably why I loved LOTOW. Now considering that gothic horror elements have been thrown in to the mix, I don't think I could have asked for much more haha.

Been trawling through my lead pile and finding loads of things for projects that never really got started that I think will be shoehorned into my plans for this game. Now to find a local opponent...

On the subject of wendigo, I'm on the fence. I always envisaged them as feral otherworldy human spirits more akin to frozen ghouls. That being said, Ravenous is a really underrated movie in my opinion :D On the table, something clearly differentiated from the rest of the posse will help I guess.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »
It occurred to me that various interpretations for Wendigo I've seen are not far removed from H.P. Lovecraft's ghouls or ghast.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #260 on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
That is great thank you!

Saucy Jack, you're always welcome!  :)

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #261 on: July 13, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »
Thanks Dinohunter' , I am hoping this will be a fun game I can drag others of my group into this. One has already liked the idea when I mentioned it. He has plans for a Chinese group if he can make one using the rules. Anyone know if that's possible? He loves the idea of the Immigrant Chinese gang defending themselves against the evil robber baron types as they push out from the west coast.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »
From the descriptions we have had so far, sounds like a Chinese Defense League gang would be viable (could just model it on an existing band's rules).

-Michael

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
According to the author the first supplement will feature Chinese gangs.

Personally i'd love to see a secessionist California under Emperor Norton and his vigilante bands.

Or possibly occultist Paschal Beverly Randolph, a great personal friend of Lincoln and abolitionist.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
It's a cool match up! Interesting twist on stock Western conventions and how can you not love the Copplestone Vudu!

Well for someone who has never done wild west stuff in my many years of gaming, I've gone in for Dark Confeds'  and some Congregation chaps. I'm sure my Congo troops can fill out the ranks for them. Plus lots of spare pulp figures for various posses. Really looking forward to this silliness. :D

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
I'm interested in whats happening in the cold north of Canada during this time... in the alternate history.

The various British properties in the east likely became Canada, as that was before the change in history. But the alternate history may mean Rupert's land (got to love that name), the North West Territories and the United Colony of British Columbia might not join the confederation. Of course there is even less chance they would join the US from what it sounds like.  So that might make for some interesting scenario's with stronger British influence - and even provide an excuse for redcoats and Hudson's bay company themed games in the northern west etc

Oh and yes Ice and snow theme baddies/monsters spring to my mind as well. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:00:11 PM by mellis1644 »
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2017, 11:40:20 PM »
Do have a question to whom ever may know, is this a multi player game? I love Congo, but it limits itself with being 2 players. I hope this can be used by multi groups if needed.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2017, 01:32:29 AM »
Do have a question to whom ever may know, is this a multi player game? I love Congo, but it limits itself with being 2 players. I hope this can be used by multi groups if needed.

According to the Author in the "How It Plays" document in the Dracula's America Players Facebook Page:

•   It is designed to be played on an area between 2'x2' and 4'x4', and caters for 2-8 players; with a typical 8-Turn game lasting around 45 minutes to an hour or so.

;)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2017, 01:37:58 AM »

From the Dracula's America Facebook Players Page, by the books' author Jonathan Haythornthwaite (aka Fenrir here on LAF):  

DRACULA'S AMERICA: SHADOWS OF THE WEST
HOW IT PLAYS!

•   Dracula's America is a 'modular' rules-set- you can either play it as a traditional Old West skirmish game, or introduce the weirder elements such as supernatural creatures and Arcane Powers as you wish.

•   It is designed to be played on an area between 2'x2' and 4'x4', and caters for 2-8 players; with a typical 8-Turn game lasting around 45 minutes to an hour or so.

•   Posses for one-off games can be built in one of two ways- the simple WYSIWYG driven 'basic' system, or the more involved 'advanced' system that uses points (or in our case, Dollars) that allows you to really customise your models.

•   You can also link games together to form a Campaign, with models upgrading their weapons and equipment and earning Experience to improve their abilities or learn new Skills- they can also suffer Lasting Injuries, and have Encounters between games!

•   The game uses 6, 8 and 10-sided Dice- Novice models use D6s, Veterans use D8s and Heroes use D10s- and each player additionally needs a deck of ordinary playing cards.

•   The Action Phase is where models get to act, and revolves around drawing a Hand of cards equal to half the number of models you have in play- each player then secretly chooses a card. Once everyone has chosen, they reveal their cards- the highest value card gets to Activate, followed by the next highest, and so on. Black cards always trump red cards! Once all players have had an Activation, the process is repeated until all models have been Activated and the Phase ends.
This system adds resource management and bluffing skills to the proceedings!

•   When it is your Activation, you may either Activate one model and perform 2 Actions with it, or two different models and perform 1 Action with each of them. Models can Move, Shoot, Fight, go on Lookout, or Cast Arcane Powers when Activated.

•   Movement is simple, but dynamic- models can vault fences, clamber up walls, run along rooftops and leap through windows- as such, the game plays best with a tactically interesting and varied terrain layout...

•   All in-game Tests (including attacks) are made by rolling either 1 or 3 Dice to start with, depending on circumstances. Situational modifiers will add or subtract Dice from this 'pool', so good tactical positioning of your models will be rewarded. Each Die scoring a 5 or better is a Success, with the total Successes determining how well you did at that task.
Models that are successfully attacked must make a Save- if this is failed, the margin of failure determines whether they are Shaken, Downed, or if they fall Casualty. Downed models may have a chance of recovering later on, but until then can do nothing except crawl or be dragged to safety by a comrade.

•   Dracula's America was designed to be flexible, easy to learn, and to reward narrative play- with extra rules covering innocent bystanders, dynamite and riding horses- basically if it's appeared in a Western (or Horror!) movie, it's likely that you will also see it in Dracula's America!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DraculasAmerica/

;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:41:46 AM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
Thanks dino'! I don't do facebook, so that's really helpful.

Cheers.