Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:11:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dracula's America.  (Read 58801 times)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
Re: Dracula's America.
« Reply #285 on: July 18, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »
Another question:

If you hit your target by shooting or otherwise, what happens to the target? Does he get some kind of save, loose a wound or is just removed from the table?

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #286 on: July 18, 2017, 07:47:58 PM »
@Dinohunterpoa: Good call- I have a few of those Roadkill bikers for my Post Apocalypse games!

@Saucy Jack: When a model is Hit by an attack, it must make a Save- the score needed depends on the number of Successes scored by the attacker, starting at 5+ and working up to a maximum of 10. Note that you must attempt the Save even it is impossible to achieve on your model's Die type (eg an 8+ Save on a D6)- this is because the margin of failure determines the Damage suffered. Failing by 1-2 results in the model being Shaken (or if already Shaken, you go Down), failing by 3-4 Downs the model, and failing by 5 or more causes the model to be removed as a Casualty!
Of course, various Skills and weapon types can influence this process in some way, making it more or less likely that you will pass your Save...
A Downed model is not out of the game, but is limited to crawling around (though friends can drag them to safety) and bleeding until it manages to Recover at the end of a subsequent Turn (or it bleeds out and falls Casualty!).

Finally, in a Fight a model can decide to Shove it's target away instead of causing Damage- useful for throwing people off balconies or from horseback!
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2017, 11:50:11 PM »
@Dinohunterpoa: Good call- I have a few of those Roadkill bikers for my Post Apocalypse games!

@Saucy Jack: When a model is Hit by an attack, it must make a Save- the score needed depends on the number of Successes scored by the attacker, starting at 5+ and working up to a maximum of 10. Note that you must attempt the Save even it is impossible to achieve on your model's Die type (eg an 8+ Save on a D6)- this is because the margin of failure determines the Damage suffered. Failing by 1-2 results in the model being Shaken (or if already Shaken, you go Down), failing by 3-4 Downs the model, and failing by 5 or more causes the model to be removed as a Casualty!
Of course, various Skills and weapon types can influence this process in some way, making it more or less likely that you will pass your Save...
A Downed model is not out of the game, but is limited to crawling around (though friends can drag them to safety) and bleeding until it manages to Recover at the end of a subsequent Turn (or it bleeds out and falls Casualty!).

Finally, in a Fight a model can decide to Shove it's target away instead of causing Damage- useful for throwing people off balconies or from horseback!

I liked that, specially the "throwing people off balconies " part!  8)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #288 on: July 19, 2017, 06:36:50 AM »

Thank you

Offline Davies

• Librarian
« Reply #289 on: July 19, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »
I'm in since the first day of the Nickstarter, but I admit I never been attracted to Old West setting for a game. However, Fenrir dedication to answer our questions is what convinces me to join the party. As someone already posted, it's similar to Joe Mc Cullough's work with Frostgrave and his readiness to answer every doubt about his game. It gives a trust on the final product.

(Come on, you reticent people! We all need that chupacabra unlocked!)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #290 on: July 19, 2017, 04:33:03 PM »
I'm in since the first day of the Nickstarter, but I admit I never been attracted to Old West setting for a game. However, Fenrir dedication to answer our questions is what convinces me to join the party. As someone already posted, it's similar to Joe Mc Cullough's work with Frostgrave and his readiness to answer every doubt about his game. It gives a trust on the final product.

EXACTLY!  ;)

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #291 on: July 20, 2017, 08:23:22 AM »
I'm in the same boat, never touched WW games before. And now I'm eager for this and even splashed out on all sorts of terrain bits. So hope it's going to be a cracker. I do notice it's slowed down on the Nickstarter front at the moment. Have we reached a peak?

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:07 AM »
Good morning, folks!

I'm glad that Dracula's America has tempted some of you to look into Old West gaming as a whole- it's a fascinating and exciting setting beyond the stereotypical 'Cowboys versus Indians' stuff; and of course there are already some great rule-sets out there, which of course you'll be able to try out using your DA figures as well! ;)

I'm sure there's already plenty of inspiration here on the Old West forum on LAF, but to get you newcomers in the mood can I humbly suggest the following films: The Magnificent Seven, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit (the originals or the recent remakes), Once Upon a Time in the West (my personal favourite Western of all time!) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Django Unchained, and- for a bit of 'Weirdness'- Bone Tomahawk. There are of course plenty of other fantastic films and books (Jonah Hex is good if you are a fan of Graphic Novels- it even has a few Weird aspects)...

I think the slowing-down on the Nickstarter is due to the fairly 'niche' nature of the setting- unlike say Frostgrave, which has a very broad appeal (most gamers have at least a handful of fantasy figures lying around somewhere!)- as some of you have already said, you've never considered gaming the Old West until now!
But that's ok- I'm hoping that once folks have had a chance to play Dracula's America themselves, word will spread and encourage new players to give it a try... Time will tell, but be sure that there is plenty more to come!  :D

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »

Mornin' pardner, well said!  8)

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
Well that's 2 more buildings made from Empires at war OW range. Very nice little buildings that go together fast. Now I have enough to do the 'tropical' States for the Congregation and with the OW buildings I can drift in to the 'classic western' look too. Even found and painted some cacti that I bought for an odd reason last year at salute.
Think I've been bitten by the bug...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
I'm sure there's already plenty of inspiration here on the Old West forum on LAF, but to get you newcomers in the mood can I humbly suggest the following films: The Magnificent Seven, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit (the originals or the recent remakes), Once Upon a Time in the West (my personal favourite Western of all time!) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Django Unchained, and- for a bit of 'Weirdness'- Bone Tomahawk.

'The Outlaw Josey Wales' is a personal fave of mine, movie-wise, but for weird WW inspiration in graphic form, I thoroughly recommend 'Missionary Man', written by Gordon Rennie and drawn by Frank Quitely. It was originally in 2000ad and the graphic novels can be picked up pretty cheaply now.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #296 on: July 21, 2017, 01:00:06 AM »
The butterfly in me is liking this thread.

(I'm just posting to stop myself from feeling distracted/guilty when clicking on this thread every time there's new posts.)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #297 on: July 21, 2017, 05:45:36 AM »
For me Pale Rider just has something, as do Eldorado and rio Bravo. For ww the best is Dead Birds.

This game checks so many boxes for me that I can't remember the last time a setting has done so. I really really want the rulebook so that I can read about the game.

I still think you could be on a winner here fenrir.

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #298 on: July 21, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »
@ Cubs and Saucy Jack: Thanks very much for the recommendations- I've not seen Dead Birds or read Missionary Man, so those are both going on my list!  8)

@Dartfrog: Glad to hear it- I assure you that it's the best kind of bug to be bitten by. I started out picking up a couple of Old West buildings many moons ago, and now I have boxes of the stuff!  ;)

@Von Lucky: If you have any questions about the game, then fire away- we will see if we can't tempt that butterfly!

@Saucy Jack (again!): Many thanks for the kind words- I hope it lives up to your expectations! At the end of the day I wrote it for fans of the Western/Horror genres like myself, so if nothing else you can enjoy catching the various references!  :D

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »
Finished painting my scarecrows from Crooked dice. I can't wait to see these guys coming out of the corn field at some poor hapless Confed' or cowboy. Not sure if the rules have anything for them but I'm sure I can bend them to fit  ;)