Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686567
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Walking Dead (March 15: Barn)  (Read 22409 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: The Walking Dead (Update: Patrick & Shane)
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »
It has been while since I read the relevant rules but my interpretation/memory is that the supply counters are more than just the supply card you turn over. The card is just the tactically significant result (a piece of equipment, lurker etc). The Supply Counter can contain food, fuel etc which may affect victory conditions. The characters would grab what they can and would look at the stuff in detail in a safer environment.

You could just have tables for the campaign supplies at the end of individual games (similar to Frostgrave etc.).

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »
Lovely painting.

It's a shame he has a floppy baseball bat sized for kids...I did heat it with boiling water and reposed it, but after time it bent back. So floppy bat it is...

It annoyed me too, so I drilled a piece of wire in the top and used some Greenstuff to extend it:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=11169.msg1270688#msg1270688

And I love the sound of the campaign/story system you're developing. My simple idea has been that loot you collect and get off table counts as half for cash purposes (i.e to buy new weapons etc.) - also lurkers are worth nothing(!). The other half would be to "buy" food, but I guess I'd need to find an amount each character needed per game - so that if you didn't "buy" enough food for your gang, in your next game your characters would be (randomly or not) be docked health points.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 01:14:31 AM »
Those rock!  The house is amazing.  I love all of the small details you put it there.  Phenomenal.  My Patrick wasn't too bad.  It was my Shane that was out of control.  I think the base itself is slightly warped and shifted his legs so he has a pretty much the opposite of a good shooting stance.  I have heated and rebent the model repeatedly but he has a mind of his own.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »
It has been while since I read the relevant rules but my interpretation/memory is that the supply counters are more than just the supply card you turn over. The card is just the tactically significant result (a piece of equipment, lurker etc). The Supply Counter can contain food, fuel etc which may affect victory conditions. The characters would grab what they can and would look at the stuff in detail in a safer environment.

You could just have tables for the campaign supplies at the end of individual games (similar to Frostgrave etc.).

True, and it might have some merit for the campaign. I'll have to think about it. Thing is, I think for a long campaign you need to have scenarios which focus on getting food. It's scarce and is the most important thing to find. Weapons are less of an issue I guess, but ammo is also an interesting one. So in the rules I want to focus on these a lot and more than on finding guns, guns and guns!
And I'm also tweaking things like the Event Deck and loot deck. For instance, the Car alarm needs to appear only in a few scenarios IMO. Same goes for the Booby Trap. For regular TWD games these are cool, but it's weird to see these a lot in the campaign.
But first I will need more scenery and painted miniatures! A lot more! :D

@horridperson: Yeah, my Shane was also warped (he leaned backwards). That's one of the great things about custom bases: it makes it easier to correct for bendiness :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2017, 08:50:05 AM »
I definitely see your point. The supply cards are oriented towards the one off game, repeated paying with the same set of cards will lead to everyone ending up with the best found equipment. Booby traps and lurkers I feel are less of an issue (until my party has been blown up for the fourth time running...). I can see the events having a similar repeat issue.

Maybe a "picked clean" deck of supply cards with no tactical value but may yield items of campaign value (miscellaneous cans - might be food, might even not have spoiled).

I must dig out the two Twilight 2000 rule books, they have a similar food requirement, fuel not so much of an issue.

I look forward to seeing more of your painting and how your campaign system develops.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
One other point might be to consider if you are planning for long campaigns : supplies should be more and more difficult to find. Right after the outbreak it would be probably easy to find food, but later on when most of it have been scavenged or spoiled it should become a more difficult resource to find. Ammo and guns might be the same or locations to find them harder to reach (military camps etc.)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2017, 09:21:54 AM »
Excellent suggestions! I really like those. And it should be easy to implement: starting with series 2, at the start of each series, discard one food and one ammo card from the decks (to a minimum of 1). So slowly you will find less and less and you will need to spend more time at locations scrounging for food and ammo.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
If you are going for a multi-year campaign, you might want to think about the starting threat level and the effect on herds. FTWD does not have that issue yet as it is either still 2010 or just 2011.

First series as per the rules. Supplies plentiful

Second series, lots more walkers (as more survivors don't) so increase the base threat level. Supplies scarce.

Third series, back to normal level walkers except increase herd size (as they flock this way). Herds also increase threat level. Tinned food reaching sell by date.

Fourth series, more lurkers, more herds. Food extremely scarce.

Ammo is more complicated than food, as generally you can eat all food but guns come in all calibres.

Black powder weapons are an option though you would need to add a smoke effect.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »
Man, it's been ages since I upated this thread, but I have painted quite a lot since the last one.

Governor

Dexter

Jess (custom

Lori

Tony (custom)

Max (custom)

Walkers

I'm having a real blast with these! I'm aiming to do a solo campaign soon.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2020, 09:08:46 PM »
Nice work on them.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2020, 09:15:01 AM »
Sweet...and horrific :)
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »
Thanks! And already three more models, I realised I needed Dale too for my campaign. And quickly added the walkers with him.

Dale

Dale's bodywarmer reminded me of Marty McFly's (Back to the Future), so I knew I had to paint Dale as an old version of Marty! Lots of fun to do and the jeans are super easy with Contrast paints. I almost kept the sneakers pristine white, but in the end added some brown weathering (it's the zombie apocalypse!)

Walkers

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: The Walking Dead (Update: Marty McFly Dale!)
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
Nice work.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
Poor Marty.  Nice additions.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
I'm not sure what it is, maybe just the colours you pick, but the clothing in particular just looks so good.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'