Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685090
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best shield decals/transfers for Foundry Greeks?  (Read 953 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Best shield decals/transfers for Foundry Greeks?
« on: February 22, 2023, 03:13:28 PM »
Says it all really, can anyone recommend some decals that would fit Foundry World of the Greeks range, please?

I've seen some lovely stuff from Victrix and LBM, but am worried they would be too big.

Really, I only need a few, but Bob's eyes don't work well enough to freehand any more...

EDIT: Looking a bit further, would the LBM ones for Crusader minis fit? They look a similar size/style to Foundry.?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 03:48:34 PM by JollyBob »

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Best shield decals/transfers for Foundry Greeks?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 05:13:39 PM »
My choice,

Order Victrix plastic shields, as these can bought separately.
Plus these are a better size and shape than the original Copplestone versions, IMO.
At the same time order LBM transfers from Victrix too.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 05:55:18 PM »
Thanks Tim, I would probably do that if the shields weren't cast on and too much of a faff to remove!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 06:04:02 PM »
JollyBob, why do you think the LBMS decals specifically designed for Foundry Hoplites will be too big? I thought that was the whole point of LBMS producing decals for different manufacturers.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 06:43:12 PM »
I make my own now for a few reasons. One- I like to follow actual vase art in most cases. Two- I often like similar variants and sometimes repeats of similar designs which I would have to buy many sheets. Three- I can scale the output to any shield myself since I have Photoshop (any other decent art tool will work Affinity Designer, Clip Studio). Four- I do not like LBMS reverse transfer process (that's just me- I know many people prefer their products to others).

Decal sheet inkjet paper is easily available and so is acrylic protective spray. All you need is a decent inkjet and the time to assemble images and scale them to fit your shields. I find commercially available inkjet decal sheets to be way easier to conform to the the rounded surface of hoplite shields, and only occasionally need some decal softener to make them flatten out.
If the figures are the Foundry ones with the cast on shields these cause some issues. They are really rounded so normal edge to edge designs wont work. I typically stick to bronze background for these. Here is my website article about making your own decals:

https://ancientbattles.com/HeroesOfGreece/AncientBattles_Homebrew_Transfers.html

JJonas

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 07:01:54 PM »
JollyBob, why do you think the LBMS decals specifically designed for Foundry Hoplites will be too big? I thought that was the whole point of LBMS producing decals for different manufacturers.

Uh, because I hadn't seen them..... lol

I appear to have Google-failed quite spectacularly there. Saw the ones for other companies but didn't look deep enough to find the others.

Ahem.

Thank you sir, for the information, and also for not laughing.

Nothing to see here.... ::)

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 07:11:38 PM »
The Foundry cast on shields are difficult. I created this design to fit the least rounded dome area. Since it is simple black on metal I used a Micron pen. You can make colored decal designs that are small. Paint the shield white first, add the decal then fill in the extreme curved area with paint to match and cover the decal base. In most cases my version of these Foundry figures were just hand painted or sun symbols and other small designs were used. I have seen some folks actually create edge designs that they cut and paste from tiny decal pieces to fill in the rims. I have not done anything that ambitious. Generally the Foundry figures with unattached shields are easier to work with.

Those who remember the late great Allen Curtis will enjoy the fact that he once wrote me to tell me that he had used a razor saw to detach dozens of the shields from a batch of these using a lot of patience and a straight cut. This allowed him to use larger and flatter 1st Corps shields which have a convenient pin to make a tight connection. I will admit I tried the "Curtis method" and got halfway through a hoplite then stopped, figuring I had plenty of hoplite figures. I will admit that the World of the Greeks figures would look better with just a tad bigger shields, and one can buy them separately. Good luck!