Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Scorpion - Tombstone  (Read 9271 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Black Scorpion - Tombstone
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
They're larger than older metal sculpts (like Artizan/Foundry).  They're in line with Reaper and match perfectly with Knuckleduster 32mm digitals.

My entire collection is metal Black Scorpion and metal Knuckleduster - they all work fantastic together.  I will say I prefer the new Knuckleduster far more, but black Scorpion has a different "extremist" kind of aesthetic they're pushing even more with the new images/figures.  Very artsy and ultra-Hollywood, almost? Not a bad thing.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 06:11:20 PM »
I hope they do some Frontiersman, then they'd pretty much have all the Legends of the Old West factions covered.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »
The preview of the Mexican faction is up.   Again, I see a lot of figures I like.

-Michael

Offline Iain

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »
They do look good.  How do the existing Tombstone figures scale with the Dead Mans Hand range?  (The existence of two slightly different sized ranges of Knuckleduster figures makes me worry about what scales with what !)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »
DMH is in a weird spot - the ones I have are smaller than BS and KD but fit okay when mixed in.  I only have one picture.

(Knuckleduster 32, DMH, Conquest Indian, Tombstone Metal)

The cavalry trooper is DMH (one of the larger of that set).  He's on a small puddle base and matches okay (but he's definitely a little smaller).

Offline Iain

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 08:12:53 PM »
Thank you Elbows, very helpful.

I mistakenly believe the DMH figures are large, because I've got some on my painting desk next to a bunch of Perry 28mm ww2 figures - the DMH ones really loom over them. (And for what it's worth, the 4Ground buildings look great with the DMH figures but much too big next to the Perrys.).

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 05:46:58 PM »
The black scorpion figures seem to generate quite strong opinions. I remember reading on their site that they made the change to resin because they couldn't get the quality in metal. Never understood that.

I only have resin figures. The first ones were bought maybe three years ago and the quality was rubbish with metal rods showing through the rifle sculpts, the second lot about two years ago had lots of pin holes in the mouldings which was only apparent when painting, the last lot bought last year were​ fine.
Most of the rifles are a very strange design, not sure what they are supposed to be, and quite a few of the sculpts hold this under the arm rather than in the shoulder as you would normally fire a long arm.

Having all this criticism i still think they are wonderful figures i am just very sorry i was not able to buy the metal version. I did put lead in the base when i was using slotta bases, and that works well, giving a nice heft to the figure but since changing to clear PVC bases the weight of the resin seems ok. Weird

I am looking forward to the new figures but i am more interested in towns folk to inhabit my embryonic town, than gunfighters. So i guess i may be a bit disappointed, but i am pleased they are supporting the range especially because they are a bit of a scale apart, except for the expensive reaper and probably as expensive new knuckleduster range. So looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 06:04:08 PM »
Yep, when I first bought the BS metals I was in love with them.  Crisp details to catch the paint, and very "robust" figures.  The resin ones I picked up later were absolutely terrible (so much so that they sent me some replacements which were "okay").  Crumbly, full of bubbles, etc.  I'm sure it's been ironed out by now, but I don't like resin at all - a large part of that being I travel with my stuff and do a lot of conventions.  Resin figures tend to break under use of less-than-patient gamers.  My metals got so much use (and some chipping, bending etc.) that I ended up recently stripping down and re-doing a bunch of them.  Not bad for five years on the table with a lot of use.  Figures for me are first and foremost, game pieces - I don't need the "benefits" that resin gives.  The sharper and more minute detail is wasted on me.

I do have their town folk set in resin and it's quite okay (though part of the hammer was broken on the smithee when I received him).  I think they have a nice strong range of miniatures (easily one of the largest Old West lines in existence) but I just can't be bothered.  I'm more curious how the game plays, etc.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
I'm lucky I bought most of the civilians in metal before they changed.  There are still the odd metal floating about on eBay if you are lucky.  Annoyingly there is a v1 Pat Garrat for sale stateside but with $15 postage....I will forgo this one!

Like is said before, some resin minis are worth picking up, and I have a few, including the fat sheriff and the Incident on Grant street set.  There will be a few in this release I want, but unfortunately I will be put off buying them if I have to buy a pack of four/five just to get the one I want because it doesn't look as brittle or prone to breakage.

Like Vagabond, I too hope they release a few more civilians, the ones I have are great.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 04:23:14 AM »
I have only recently started Old West Gaming (we are playing Shadows of Brimstone) so I have bought a fair number of BS figures since November last.  The quality of the resin castings has been fine, so presumably earlier problems have been sorted (I did have one rifle with a hole in his rifle's stock, but it was an easy fix). 

I have some of the older metal sculpts as well.  But if anybody has the original Earps release and is willing to sell or trade them, please let me know.

It seems to me the rifles in this new wave for the Kickstarter are better than on the older sculpts - very clearly Winchesters, most of them.

-Michael

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 11:24:24 PM »
The preview of the 7th Cavalry faction is now up.

-Michael

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 04:02:18 AM »
And now the lawman are up.  Lots of really nice models in this set.

Only the ladies and the deadies are left to preview, factions wise.

-Michael

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »
Isn't resin cheaper? With 110+ figures, I'd rather pay $2 per figure than $3!

OTOH, Resin KS that get into cost overruns are much more costly than metal, since you can't recycle resin. A company that switches from hand-poured resin casting to spincast resin can lose a lot of money if they don't have the expertise. (Or something like that. More info if you know it.)

Personally, I would have liked to see this KS after the Bones IV KS, so I'd know what western miniatures I'd still want for my collection. I also use miniatures as game pieces, so inexpensive lower detail plastic, which is less fragile than resin or metal, is fine with me.

BS was pretty lukewarm about my asking them for a pledge level of miniatures as proxies for Shadows of Brimstone. I think they're missing out on a potentially large market of boardgamers.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »
Their prices didn't change at all when they went to resin vs. their metals.  They originally cited shipping costs as being reduce (perhaps for retailers, but honestly a handful of metal figures is hardly noticeable).

I am surprised no one has done some quality plastic multi-part cowboys etc.  That would be a seller I believe (if done well).

Offline Vampifan

• Scientist
    • Vampifan's World of the Undead
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 09:33:33 PM »
I am surprised no one has done some quality plastic multi-part cowboys etc.  That would be a seller I believe (if done well).

I'd definitely buy them!  :D