Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Scorpion - Tombstone  (Read 9270 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Black Scorpion - Tombstone
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »
I was also really happy to see the two faction deal added, it had everything I was going to get for a little less.

Offline Faustulus

• Student
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2017, 01:12:34 AM »
What does everyone think of the rules video? I know the figures were going to be good, but I really hoped someone would finally make a Wild West game I would want to play. The first thing I thought on watching it was "the 1970s called, they want their game mechanics back".

Hit tables? Wound tables? Why not just have a combat odds chart.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:58:31 AM by Faustulus »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2017, 03:14:39 AM »
It definitely doesn't appeal to me rules-wise, but...that's part of why I went and created SnS.  I do think the video was rather poorly done, needed someone with charisma and experience doing a nice quality YouTube video.  They would have been better off going to Beasts of War or something and having them film it.  Was very shocked to see unpainted models in a demo (and a lack of proper studio space for the video).  They have a huge range of models that are probably already painted.  Would have liked to have seen that.  :)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
I'm getting kinda of jaded to dice-based combat, and there are plenty of free Western gunfight rulesets out there.

I'm messing around with a card-based Western gunfight game that isn't as strategic as I'd like, but does reflect how in movies, most of the extras are basically idiots who get shot.  lol
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »
I'm getting kinda of jaded to dice-based combat, and there are plenty of free Western gunfight rulesets out there.

I'm messing around with a card-based Western gunfight game that isn't as strategic as I'd like, but does reflect how in movies, most of the extras are basically idiots who get shot.  lol

Love that one, sums up perfectly wot I want from my Cowboy games. Just about the only western that has a realistic shootout is 'The Salvation'... only use a pistol till you can reach your rifle!
Having said that, Chris dropping galloping Mexican bandits from the hip with his Colt, is wot a Cowboy film is all about.

:-*

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:48:24 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Gimgamgoo

• Student
    • Gimgamgoo's Painting Blog
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »
Someone earlier in the thread said the Black Scorpion figures were larger than some other manufacturers. Do the Black Scorpion figures fit ok with 4Ground buildings? I notice Black Scorpion have used their own scratch built terrain for the KS.
Gimgamgoo
Painting Blog: https://gimgamgoo.com/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
Yep, they work fine with 4Ground buildings.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
So, who in the U.S. carries a good selection of 4Ground Western buildings?

-Michael

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2017, 01:58:36 AM »
Nobody.  Really.  Brigade Games carries them and charges more than the MSRP conversion from 4Ground's page (but they seem to charge more for almost all products).  You can find some on eBay, but they don't really have a proper retailer.

On 4Ground's page though you can frequently get free international shipping and the prices there have VAT included so they have the "real" price for US customers underneath it on the page.  I bought the bulk of my stuff from Great Escape Game's actual page --- they have a "buy six" w/ about a 5-10% discount and free shipping if you exceed $100.  I think I made two large orders with the "buy six" package.

I am sure someone in the US sells this stuff, but I haven't found a solid retailer which doesn't charge too much.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2017, 04:15:36 AM »
Thanks, Elbows.  Almost all of our existing terrain is fantasy oriented, but the Western gaming seems to be catching on, so I am developing an itch...

-Michael

Offline Gimgamgoo

• Student
    • Gimgamgoo's Painting Blog
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
I realise this is probably a contentious topic,  but do any of you using Black Scorpion figures put them on those 32mm lipped bases. I have a huge bag of them but haven't dared use them for any skirmish games as I feel the base will be too big for putting in and around terrain (like in 4ground buildings). On the other hand, I bet some of those new Tombstone figures would look great on them.
Any thoughts?

Offline Faustulus

• Student
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
I realise this is probably a contentious topic,  but do any of you using Black Scorpion figures put them on those 32mm lipped bases. I have a huge bag of them but haven't dared use them for any skirmish games as I feel the base will be too big for putting in and around terrain (like in 4ground buildings). On the other hand, I bet some of those new Tombstone figures would look great on them.
Any thoughts?
Not Black Scorpion, but I do mount the newer 32mm Knuckleduster figs on 30mm lipped bases. (Only thing I use 32mm bases for is GW stuff) I think they work fine.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »
Not Black Scorpion, but I do mount the newer 32mm Knuckleduster figs on 30mm lipped bases. (Only thing I use 32mm bases for is GW stuff) I think they work fine.

Worth mentioning (given I just spoke to Forrest, the man behind Knuckleduster, at length at Little Wars) that he created his 32mm line specifically to be able to mix with the newer cowboy lines, and he listed Black Scorpion as one of them.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
Yep, and since Forrest better sculpts and they're in metal...I've now switched whole-sale to his stuff.  He saved the day when BS went resin.  lol

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 02:28:40 AM »
So the larger (and I think better) Knuckleduster sculpts are newer than the smaller ones?  I had wondered about that.  My one and only KD purchase so far was a real mix of smaller and not-so-inspirational figures and really nice ones that were noticeably larger.  I had been wondering if the bigger ones were newer.

I have to say, though, I still think the BS sculpts are my favorites overall.  Mind you, I don't really care if a one-piece sculpt is metal or resin (what I hate are multi-part metal figures where the join spot is wrist to hand, or something insane like that.  Don't they know we play with these figures??).

-Michael