Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Non-Wizard Leaders- Sellsword  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Non-Wizard Leaders- Sellsword
« on: March 21, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
Maybe there could be non-Wizard leaders for the game using Sellsword rules. A Captain that can gain levels leading the band.  Magic would minimal- perhaps a Hedge Wizard- less spells and power, no level gains.   Allow for more members in the warband (15-16?) to make up for the lack of magical powers. The increased members, melee and missile capability, outnumbering- might help even the odds vs. normal Wizard led groups.

Offline schoon

• Librarian
    • Infinity RPG Fan Site
Re: Non-Wizard Leaders- Sellsword
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »
Ghost Archipelago could have something very similar to that with Scions.

...but in the meantime, there's nothing that would prevent you from giving your idea a try. I see no reason why it couldn't be made to work.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:19:40 PM »
Does seem to fly in the face of the reason for playing Frostgrave though.
I think if that's what you want then wait for Ghost Archipelago, as schoon mentioned.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »
I'll take that one further and suggest we might create actual Classes/Archtypes for leaders. A choice between rogues/thief/scoundrel types, actual wizards, clerics, fighter/barbarian types etc. Would be very cool.

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Sounds like you want a skirmish D&D ?
 way to much paperwork for me ,to be honest.
But...
Write out your rules , play some games and iron out the wrinkles and there you go :)
Im sure there will so some interest in your ideas.
The only limitation to frostgrave is your imagination

Roger
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »
I'd like to keep it simple, just one leader/leveler. I really liked Mordheim,  but magic was secondary.  I'd like to see rules for guns/pistols but I guess I could use Crossbowman & Javeliner rules for that.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
I'll take that one further and suggest we might create actual Classes/Archtypes for leaders. A choice between rogues/thief/scoundrel types, actual wizards, clerics, fighter/barbarian types etc. Would be very cool.

Wouldn't be complicated with just one leader. It would be cool to have a choice of Thief leader, Fighter, Priest or Wizard.

Offline schoon

• Librarian
    • Infinity RPG Fan Site
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 03:28:54 PM »
Wouldn't be complicated with just one leader. It would be cool to have a choice of Thief leader, Fighter, Priest or Wizard.
I must say that this is an idea that has legs.

There could be some interesting interactions in hiring and home bases with this as well.

Offline Weezbeez37

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
I played a solo dungeon crawling campaign with this idea over the winter and it was really fun. I started out with a captain and 250 gold with the option to buy a wizard for 500gc and/or apprentice for 200gc.
 If I recall correctly my starting warband was something like:
Captain w/ hand weapon, shield, mail armor, +1 move, dodge and leadership
2x javelineers
1x infantry man
2x thugs
2x thieves

I think I made it up to 10 or 12 levels before I stopped but it was a blast playing that campaign and I'd recommend anyone who's interested to give it a go.

Weez

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 02:43:14 AM »

You would definitely want to come up with a Cleric if you don't have Wizards. Somebody with Healing magic if nothing else. Keeping them generic, of course, just so we're not debating about who's better the Cleric of God X as opposed to Goddess Z.

Offline critsmash

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »
I played a solo dungeon crawling campaign with this idea over the winter and it was really fun. I started out with a captain and 250 gold with the option to buy a wizard for 500gc and/or apprentice for 200gc.
 If I recall correctly my starting warband was something like:
Captain w/ hand weapon, shield, mail armor, +1 move, dodge and leadership
2x javelineers
1x infantry man
2x thugs
2x thieves

I think I made it up to 10 or 12 levels before I stopped but it was a blast playing that campaign and I'd recommend anyone who's interested to give it a go.

Weez

Sounds like fun! Would you be willing to share the campaign rules?

Offline Weezbeez37

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 01:55:21 AM »
To tell you the truth I didn't really have any special campaign rules I was just dungeon crawling. I was using the minis and terrain that I had and was just going with it. Although since I put up that last post I got the itch to go crawling again so I've decided to run another campaign and this time I'm going to be trying to take down a necromancer who's trying to raise the lich lord, taking many ideas from the campaign book.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
You would definitely want to come up with a Cleric if you don't have Wizards. Somebody with Healing magic if nothing else. Keeping them generic, of course, just so we're not debating about who's better the Cleric of God X as opposed to Goddess Z.

Perhaps it would work to semi-borrow from D&D a bit more with the domains and go with that for a basic customization option. Have six or so of them, cleric picks three, one as the main one and the other two as "available" where most of their spells are required to come from the main though they can learn from the others. Though a few different basic templates could work for that type of character as well. Where you vary from the more scholarly monk archetype to a faith militant crusader monk type. Actual gods/goddesses left more up to the people playing the game...

Offline critsmash

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 10:52:05 AM »
To tell you the truth I didn't really have any special campaign rules I was just dungeon crawling. I was using the minis and terrain that I had and was just going with it. Although since I put up that last post I got the itch to go crawling again so I've decided to run another campaign and this time I'm going to be trying to take down a necromancer who's trying to raise the lich lord, taking many ideas from the campaign book.

Nice! I really like this idea.
Did you use frostgrave rules for spawning enemies or did you have a higher frequency?   

Offline TodCreasey

• Student
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
Perhaps it would work to semi-borrow from D&D a bit more with the domains and go with that for a basic customization option. Have six or so of them, cleric picks three, one as the main one and the other two as "available" where most of their spells are required to come from the main though they can learn from the others. Though a few different basic templates could work for that type of character as well. Where you vary from the more scholarly monk archetype to a faith militant crusader monk type. Actual gods/goddesses left more up to the people playing the game...

In the case of a Cleric I would just play it as Cleric == Thaumaturge. I have considered the same thing but I am not sure what you can do for upgrades beyond stats for the non-magical types - what would a level 25 fighter look like?

This would certainly help for big convention games as then you can create warband from 2-3 players with one "big guy" per player. I am thinking of the same thing for my 12 player game at Cangames.