Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:24:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warriors and Heroes, SOBH, other? Rules advice  (Read 810 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Warriors and Heroes, SOBH, other? Rules advice
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
I have been having a war games crisis where I have long lost interest in painting miniatures and have now lost interest in playing.  I have mainly played historical games, but recently started Dragon Rampant and have developed some interest in fantasy games.  I am hoping to find something to rekindle my enthusiasm for the hobby.
I am after a rules set that has some RPG elements, is rewarding as a solo game, is narrative in nature, and allows some sort of character development.  I would like to use anything from four or so figures per side up to 20 or so.
From what I have read I like the idea of Warrior Heroes, although I don't really understand the difference between Legends and Armies & Adventurers.  SOBH looks like it could also do the job.

Any help or suggestions?  Particularly, what is the difference in the two versions of Warrior Heroes?

Thanks

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Warriors and Heroes, SOBH, other? Rules advice
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »
Any help or suggestions?  Particularly, what is the difference in the two versions of Warrior Heroes?

I haven't played the two in a while, but IIRC Legends has more of a roleplaying/dungeoncrawl focus, while A&A straddles the line between skirmish and small-ish army battles, with a bit less emphasis on advancing characters.  Both had solo rules, which is pretty common for 2H Wargames rules.  I think I liked Legends better, but both were okay, good bargains for their (low) price.

You might also take a look at Four Color Figures' Goalsystem Delves, which has more of a streamlined Old School D&D dungeoncrawl vibe.  It's not a perfect fit for you (no built-in solo rules) but maybe worth getting regardless, especially in the cheaper pdf format.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Warriors and Heroes, SOBH, other? Rules advice
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
I've been investigating the 2HW games a bit; they look perfect for your needs.

SOBH is brilliant, though, and there's also Tales of Blades and Heroes, which is the RPG version (so more character development and detail). One thing I'd suggest is combining Ganesha's solo dungeon crawler, Four Against Darkness, with TBH to get a solo RPG dungeon game. You could use dungeon tiles or even a whiteboard to give you the randomly generated rooms (maybe with each square being 2 x 2" or even 3 x 3 "), while keeping track of the dungeon on graph paper. Although the combat systems are different, it's no problem at all to match, e.g. a 4AD orc to a TBH one: both systems have stats for the same monsters.