Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SMF Third Play Thoughts and Discussions  (Read 928 times)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
SMF Third Play Thoughts and Discussions
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Ok, so I've had three play throughs now a(I know, about 5 months too late) and here are my first few observations.

1- Brawlers have it hard.  It's tough to get them into the action so far.  Bricks too, if everyone else has movement powers, it's hard to get into the action.  I'll likely give up Armor for leaping with my next Brick...

2- Flight seems like two powers in one.  First your flying, then you are moving at 3x the speed of everyone else.

3- The archer is not an option worth taking if you want more than flavor.  This is my favorite archetype in the comic genre, Hawkeye and West Coast Avenger fan from the beginning.  The 15" range for minor power blasts was not enough to make the primary power effective at all.  The other 'trick arrows' I choose were even less effective at 10" or less for entangle.  I spent the whole game wishing I could do something I couldn't, though perhaps it was my expectation that needed adjusting.  Though I'd love to be able to PowerBlast 25 or 30 inches with 5D when using an archer and have the other minor powers that fall under Archer go that same distance.  Not sure if that overpowers him or not, but the other minor power options you get pretty much nerf your utility.

4- The Archetype Maneuvers are a blast!  They add so much character to the game, more cinematic moments.  It somehow feels better get the blaster to knock back an opponent because you chose it, or for the speedster to get 2D more on the charge because you choose it that time.  I didn't get a chance to use the Brick maneuvers, but I can't wait to!

4- I thought speedsters were going to be way overpowered until we used them.  Really just a jack of all trades, but master of none.  We were never able to take advantage of the drive by attacks as he was never able to damage an opponent when attacking.  So it was easier to Hurricane charge but not count on continuing to move.  A great characterful archetype.

Anyway, wish I would have gotten to it sooner, but loads of fun and can't wait to keep trying things out.  :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: SMF Third Play Thoughts and Discussions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
Just downloaded the test rules. I like SS3 though there can be a lot to keep track off so SMF sounds like a good idea (from what I've also read elsewhere)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: SMF Third Play Thoughts and Discussions
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:34:08 PM »
Hey, Rusty!

Thanks for playing!

The Archer trades raw power for versatility.

Adjusting the range of his minor powers would likely overpower him.

We've played a lot of games with the rules as written, and we have not found the going too tough for Brawlers and Bricks. When they get into combat, they can really do some damage. The Brick's somewhat slow speed is hopefully compensated for by his ability to hurl random objects as he advances.

The Brawler's base movement is pretty high, and he has access to a raft of cool powers to choose from to augment his close-in prowess.

Of course, you can always tweak things for your own games. As we're in layout, it might be hard for me to make any major adjustments, but keep playing and keep the feedback coming!

Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway