Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Normans - Which to get?  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Normans - Which to get?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
Fantastic response, thank you, gentlemen!  :)

I'll browse the suggested lines - I think I am going to stick to one manufacturer, as it makes buying shield decals easier, but as it is a project likely done in stages in between other stuff, I may decide on mixing after all.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:13:30 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline shrubs

• Student
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 12:03:09 AM »
A few years ago I bought the Norman Saga box, nice miniatures but a little chunky like expected out of GB. I added a few Perry mounted for more warriors and the warlord. I felt they mix well, all things considered. I do recall thinking that if I did do it again I'd probably go heavier on Perry and mix GB in.

Here's a shoddy shot of my 4pt warband, complete with droopy spears, thick varnish, average paint and broken swords  :D

I can do a comparison shot between Perry and GB mounted if anyone wants, I have since figured out the macro on my camera  8)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 12:09:17 AM »
I am tempted to get the SM 9-figure Norman Knights set. Not sure, yet.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
I've just bought some Saxon Miniatures Anglo Saxon huscarls and they're very nice figures, matching in well (for obvious reasons) with some of my older GB figures. 

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 10:19:07 PM »
Went for the Saxon Miniatures Norman's on Friday after thinking about this for ages. The figures I already have from Colin were ace!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 11:48:41 PM »
Foundry's Casting Room Miniatures normans are excellent.

Should this have a "said with a straight face" emoticon?

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 11:41:41 AM »
I have Crusader with some Gripping Beast and new Foundry mixed in
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »

Nicest Norman infantry: definitely the one from Ebob!

And the mix well with Perry. So I would go for Ebbob + Perry.

But I would never play Normans in Saga  lol
That Battleboard is just a mess  ;D
Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 03:19:09 AM »
I like the look of Normans - so a SAGA warband might just grow into something else over time  lol

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
I'll add a vote for Saxon Miniatures Normans as well. Oh the Huscarls and the Vikings are very nice too...

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
I have mixed GB, Perry, Essex Miniatures, Conquest, Drabant, Crusader and others in my trial warbands for Outremer: Faith and Blood.

I have found all ranges have their pros and cons but a mix gives by far the best results!
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Sitric Caech

• Student
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
Love the old foundry line.

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »
I always liked the old Foundry line by the Perrys. Alas they are rather small compared to modern lines.
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 11:18:23 PM »
Drabant Miniatures, sells some BEAUTIFUL 28mm historics, including a line of Normans.  

I have only two small criticisms about their 28mm minis. First, the models are a bit on the small side, even for historics.  When compared to 28mm minis from other historical manufacturers, they look a bit puny and their arms a bit stumpy.  I should mention that this assessment is based upon 4 boxes of Drabant Vikings that I purchased a couple of years ago and that these were some of their earlier 28mm models, so the scaling of their models may have changed since.  

My second criticism is that recesses in their chainmail armor are bit shallow. This is in no way a deal breaker for me, but it requires a different painting technique. Typically chainmail is painted by applying a basecoat of iron/steel, washing with black ink, and then dry-brushing with metal.  Since Drabant's chainmail recesses are so shallow,applying too much paint to the armor is likely to fill in the recesses and give the black ink nowhere to go.  I haven't tried it yet (my Vikings are still in their boxes), but if I were to paint Drabant chainmail I'd begin with a black basecoat or maybe even just use black primer, and then lightly dry-brush metal, followed by some spot washing and maybe some spot dry-brushing with a brighter shade of metal.

Below are Drabant's Norman crossbowmen, cavalry, and William the Conqueror.  Beautiful models. Simply gorgeous.

Offline yamaneko

• Assistant
    • Under the Mountain
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 03:56:37 AM »
I have mixed GB, Perry, Essex Miniatures, Conquest, Drabant, Crusader and others in my trial warbands for Outremer: Faith and Blood.

I have found all ranges have their pros and cons but a mix gives by far the best results!

Totally agree here.  I have complete catalogs from GB, eBob, Crusader, Foundry (Matthew Bickley's work), and Saxon.  I love them all, but they do each have their pros and cons. 

• Crusader casting requires a lot of work, and sometimes I found the chunks on horses easier to work around and nearly impossible to totally clean.
  • Gripping Beast are soft on details, but easy to paint.
  • eBob have sculpted spears (why?!), but beyond that they are one of my favorites (third).
  • Foundry are beautiful and my number one or two.
  • Saxon are another favorite, competing mostly with Foundry.  They ship with cast spears, which I replace for wire spears; but he cast spears are great for scenics, etc.