Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690887
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

moiterei_1984 - The last of us
Curt – Francis at Pavia

Author Topic: Round 2 The last of us vs Francis at Pavia  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Round 2 The last of us vs Francis at Pavia
« on: April 02, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:31:12 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Round 2 The last of us vs Francis at Pavia
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »
I love both these entries. It's going to be a tough match I think.
The detailing and subtlety on the post-apoc team is just beautifully done. The camo, the stripes, the colour choices...
Against that, the dramatic, perfectly formed little vignette featuring some of my favourite figures, and lovely to see a couple of Painterman's wonderful hounds making it into the LPL.
So much lovely detail in this entry too.
A very tough match to call.
Really well done to both of you  :)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
Really tough decision, both amazing entries

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:40:29 PM »
Oh whoahh, the Zombicide Survivors are just great!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
Ouch, tough choice! Both fantastic entries.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
Francis had better watch that tan dog  lol
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:51:17 PM »
The colors of both are done so well! The realism of the survivors and the richness and beauty of the medieval one. Difficult choice!!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
What a match-up. The meticulous detail on the zombie survivors is brilliant - they jump off the plain background. What's interesting about the wonderful medieval vignette is that while they are just as meticulously painted (look at the stripe detailing in the knight in blue), that's not the effect that's first noticed - maybe because the models themselves have less intricate detail than the zombie survivor models. Rather, it's the unity of the models on the vignette base, and the interaction between them, that jumps off the screen, in part because of the way it's photographed. It's a fantastic "moment in time" that's depicted, and the dogs (which are lovely - can't get enough of LPL entries with dogs in them!) are a key part of that. One of the best match-ups in the LPL ever, I think, and a testimony to what the "five figures on a plain background" format can do. Don't get me wrong - I love the entries with the built-up layers of beautiful terrain, but there's something stripped down about both of these entries (and in Bugsda's entry for this round too) that I'm finding myself really responding to. Love this match-up, love both entries. Truly excellent.

p.s. As a small aside, where do the wonderful dog models come from? Captain Blood mentioned "Painterman" - is this a manufacturer? A quick Google search didn't give me much. I'm always on the lookout for good dog miniatures, so any info would be great.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. It's very much appreciated. Nick, your zombie  survivors are just brilliant - fantastic brushwork, as usual my friend.

@Hawkeye: The two Alaunts were sculpted by Steve May as a private commission for Simon over at le Jay Empirins. He kindly provided me with a few sets which I plan to dole out judiciously with similar vignettes. If you go to his blog and drop him a note he may have some stock left.  I agree, these little figures are absolutely exquisite.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »
Simon is here on LAF as Painterman. If you PM him, he may still have some spare sets for sale  :)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 08:20:24 PM »
Thanks to both Curt and Captain Blood - beautiful dog miniatures, well worth following up on, so I appreciate the info. We talk a lot on the forum about miniatures capturing "character," but usually we're thinking of human "character." Those dog sculpts really capture something of the character of two different dogs - and I say this as a long-time dog-owner who also used to do a lot of volunteer work at the Humane society. The perked-up ears of the white dog as it looks up over the edge of the table are a wonderful detail, for example. Seeing that detail in the sculpt and making it part of the vignette is a skill in itself, quite apart from painting and so on, and it's not something we might always think of when we look at an LPL entry. Excellent stuff.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
@ Hawkeye: Yes, we are long-time dog owners (companions?) as well, and I when I saw these sculpts I immediately saw how inspired they were. There are four different poses in the set, and I spent several pleasurable hours contemplating various positions/combinations before settling on something that seemed natural to my eye. I'm delighted that you like the vignette.

Though it cannot be discerned from the angle of this image, the 'table' is in fact a wagon wheel that has been placed on the tree stump to act as a makeshift surface for the map. The stump, wine bottle, goblets, stool and wagon wheel are 3D prints I found on Thingiverse. Yes, very geeky, but it can be a very handy tool when you want to 'tart-up' a base. :)

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »
Wonderful work Curt! I really love the composition of your little vignette. You're not simply putting "stuff" onto a base but you're creating a believable interaction between the figures.  :-*

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »
Wow, tough call, here.  Two fantastic sets.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »
No easy call here....again! :o

Nick your detailing is simply superb(as usual) and yet another thing you will need to bring for me to see!  :D

Curt your composition is excellent and makes you feel like your actually looking at the scene as it's taking place in real time! 8)

Christopher