Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:02:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690503
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1970s Ugandans - weaponry?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
1970s Ugandans - weaponry?
« on: March 24, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
Need to pick the brains of the collective wisdom here:

I am having trouble working out what the Ugandan Army of the early 70s would have been wielding.

I've found one reference suggesting the G3 through the late 60s and 70s (and I've seen a photo of one with a G3 backing this up).  I believe Amin then switched to Soviet weapons,  and that by the Ugandan/Tanzanian war the Ugandans were equipped with AK47s - although I haven't been able to find out when they started filtering through.  eg I'm not sure if the Unit at Entebbe used AKs to match the Ugandans or  because that's just what they used (I think perhaps the latter as whilst memoirs draw attention to wearing Ugandan style uniforms, they don't suggest that the weapons were also chosen to match).

However I've no idea about SMGs/LMGs.   Any thoughts? Bren or MAG or something else?  I'd probably prefer the 'something else' answer but suspect it's not...

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: 1970s Ugandans - weaponry?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »
Pictures of Amin just after the coup, show troops with SLR (FN FAL) & AK

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:53:39 PM »
The Israeli Special Forces used the AK as a weapon of choice c. 1976, they had enough of them following the 1973 War. The alternative was of course the Uzi SMG. As far as I know (I haven't really studied this tbh) they would have worn Israeli 'Lizard' camo fatigues, although the Ugandan Army could be wearing those, Israeli-style plain OD fatigues, or rarely Libyan camo in any case.

The Ugandans started with the usual No.1 and No.4 rifles, FNs, Sterlings, Brens and Stens of the Commonwealth 'standard'. The higher status the unit, the better the guns. It would stand to reason that the GPMG would have been acquired, but I have not seen any photos. The Vickers Gun seems likely too. Israel supplied Uganda prior to Amin seizing power, this included 12 Isherman Tanks, RL-83 Blindicide 'Bazookas' (the model with the curious face shield), the Uzi, along with captured AKs, SKS, RPDs and DPMs (there's a photo of Amin with one of these). 

When Amin switched his preferences to the Eastern Bloc shortly after coming to power, Libya became his new friend and supplier. He gained ten or so T-34/85 to supplement his tank fleet, along with BTRs of the various types and BRDMs in time. Libya supplied more of the same small arms.

The Masire (Masira?) Regiment and the Paras were top dogs in the Ugandan Army, so they had all the shiny stuff. I've seen at least one soldier with a G3 in a photo and there is another of Amin wielding an MP5, but whether it was test-drive or purchase is anyone's guess. In a sane world a unit would have one calibre of weapon (so 7.62 NATO or 7.62 Soviet), but the photos Ash refers to show FNs and AKs with the guys in Amin's Jeep, with a Uzi and a Sterling with the guys on foot (who may be Police).   

If you search under 'Idi Amin' you will throw up some (but not many) photos of his guys. If you can find "Général Idi Amin Dada : Autoportrait" (it's in English), the army features here and there too.          

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:39:21 PM »
Thanks both.

I've read that H&K demonstrated the G3, MP5 and HK21 but that article only went on to talk about the G3 then being supplied.

So sounds like plenty of scope for 'artistic licence' then. 

For Entebbe consensus from eye-witnesses and memoirs is a 'leopard' uniform for the Ugandan Paras and the Unit - originally supplied by Israel.  Not sure what exactly is 'leopard' about it though from these pics though, but I'm assuming it's not a standard Israeli uniform given so many references to them having to source a similar uniform:

Nice mix of kit at Entebbe - Ugandans in leopard with AKs/G3s, Unit in leopard & AK, Golani in the new webbing/Galils, Tzanhanim in older webbing & Uzis etc, landrovers & BTR40s (or Walid possibly instead).  And if in the alternate reality that is the wargames board it all goes pear shaped, the trundle of approaching tanks...?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
They seem to be wearing what I'd describe as 'vertical lizard', similar to this;

Leopard pattern camos to me would be more like those of Zaire;

AFAIK Zaire was the only Sub-Saharan nation to use the M16! (although I don't think there was a common assault rifle they didn't have - Mobutu played the field with his loyalties).

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »
Okay during the Kagera war of 1979 between Tanzania and Uganda/Libyan allies. Uganda small arms were FN's and more western w/ a mix in armor w/ Czech  Apc's and Ex -Israeli Super shermans, Tanzania definitely Soviet/Chinese as well as Libya. here are some pics..also check out the Helion book. In the one picture I noticed a Sten ,they would have British equip w/ Amins boys. Picture 2..are the Libyans who bore the Brunt of the Fighting ,when the Ugandans withdrew..Picture 3.the Helion Africa @War series Book on the matter..great series of books. Pic. 4) Tanzanian troops. 5.)Uniform Plate..thats all I have..hope it helps.Also watch +"Last King of Scotland" on the Last pic..its left to right Ugandan Commando..then Libyan soldier and Tanzanian soldier.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:31:35 PM by juergen c. olk »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:53:19 PM »
The original version of what modern collectors now call 'lizard pattern' was the French Mle 47 TAP. In French service it was colloquially known as 'tenue leopard'. IIRC the original Israeli uniforms were purchased from French stock. The Portuguese did the same before producing their own copies.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 02:30:25 AM »

This is apparently 'Ugandan Lizard' pattern. This one was a souvenir acquired by a member of the Selous Scouts, which might give a clue as to how the Israelis got a hold of some in such a short period of time. They were apparently supplied to Southern African liberation movements by Uganda.

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:38:10 AM by Mike Bravo Minis »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »
Interesting.

Now all we need are some plastic M4A1s.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »
Interesting.

Now all we need are some plastic M4A1s.

Rubicon, sometime in the future, as you well know. ;)

If you want Ugandan M4A1s right now, then there are two options.

1/56 Resin: Company B.

1/48 Plastic: Hobby Boss. Cheap as cheaps but some of their kits are insanely detailed. The T-34 has a full interior including the motor.

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »

Trenchworks also do a very nice looking 1/56 M4A1 76 - if it's as good as the rest of the kickstarter tanks that I have from them it will be very good indeed.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:44:58 PM by Mike Bravo Minis »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 07:19:52 PM »
Rubicon, sometime in the future, as you well know. ;)

Yup, after the M4 hybrid hopefully.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 05:47:57 AM »
Fantastic stuff, everyone! Now I have a new camo pattern to try to adapt to 20mm.... lol

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/