Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:46:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beyond the Gates of Antares - Game Reports Ghar vs Concord  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
Beyond the Gates of Antares - Game Reports Ghar vs Concord
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
I have a new post on my blog about my latest Beyond the Gates of Antares game.

Here's some preview pics

and the blog

http://wargamestuff.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/for-my-latest-beyond-gates-of-antares.html

I don't think I posted my last game either. Still Ghar and Concord, but slightly smaller.

http://wargamestuff.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/beyond-gates-of-antares-but-i-feel-fine.html

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
Re: Beyond the Gates of Antares - Game Reports Ghar vs Concord
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:49 PM »
Good stuff!  I have to get mine painted...   ;)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
Looks like a good game, and reading the note at the end I'd guess that you're really rather enjoying Antares more than you perhaps imagined you would?.  ;)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »
Great AAR. I'll have to have look a this game. It looks like it has some nice ideas.

I'm using a mix of things including Antares stuff for Firefight and it's interesting that your Concord is the first stuff that I've seen painted and you chose the same colour scheme as I did.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/facing-plague-hordes.html

Great minds must think alike!
 :D

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Major_Gilbear: I think I am. I'm certainly engaging with the rules a bit more than I expected given that even the author described them as "fussy." I've found them surprisingly easy to get to grips with.

Melnibonean: Blue and white/silver just seems to work for the Concord. Certainly better than the slightly odd green/cream colour Warlord have chosen for the own. I don't know what the thinking was there.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »
Nice battle reports!

The Ghar have a lot of bad luck - in one game we scored a hit on one battlesuit and his reactor blew up, taking the other two in the squad with him!  That's a lot of 10s to roll...

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 03:04:33 PM »
I've found that 10s seem to come in clusters. I've had two Assault Suits go down in one round of close combat and two leaders die having rolled a 10 and then re-rolled a 10.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »
Odd question, but have you tried using D20s that are numbered 0-9 twice instead of 1-20? I find they roll better, and use these in preference to the more usual designs.

Same with eight-sided D4s numbered 1-4 twice (okay, they still don't roll brilliantly, but it's much better and clearer than a normal D4).

:P

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »
Even rolling 4 tens on 5 dice has a chance of 1 in 2222.  Which isn't really all that uncommon when you think of all the dice you're throwing around.

Short of a statistical test of your dice to confirm bias - both singly and in groups - I suspect we tend to remember the exceptional rolls rather than the "nothing special" results.  Clustering of results is nothing out of the ordinary - a bit like stars in the sky.

Definitely an interesting thought though Major - I've heard several people say that D4s are basically useless, and I'll give the D20s a go some time.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
More than huge statistical bias, I was more thinking that often people pick up and roll dice again quickly when they are rolling dice as part of a series (to-hit, to-wound, to-save for example). I believe that does lead to some results bias just because the dice are not being rolled randomly enough.

For example, think about a D6: if you roll a number, pick it up and roll it again quickly, the dice pretty much travels like a cylinder would. That means that the numbers on the left/right sides have a much lower chance of showing up if the dice doesn't tumble or such before it stops. I think it's why number streaks seem to be higher in wargames, because these sequential rolls with a handful of dice are common.

Having double-numbered dice that roll better helps reduce this effect I feel, as all the numbers should have better chance of showing up in these quicker roll sequences.

Anyway, once again I fear that I may have over-analysed something simple!  lol
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:17:11 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »
With you now!  It's entirely possible.