Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This may sound like a silly question, but...  (Read 6137 times)

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
This may sound like a silly question, but...
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
...what the devil is 'Call of Cthulhu'? I've been wandering around this board for some time, but I can't seem to work out what on earth is going on. Something to do with fish?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: This may sound like a silly question, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:08:24 AM »
Call Of Cthulhu is a mythos based on the books of H. P. Lovecraft.
An early 20th century writer of horror stories who influenced the whole genre !
Björn
, ,

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »
Björn

Hmm. Never heard of him. To Wikipedia, away!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:21:25 AM »
Never heard of H.P. Lovecraft?

Get thee gone, and never darken our doors again!

Just kidding. Lovecraft was a writer in the 20s and 30s. He wrote about bizarre creatures, cosmic monsters and strange 'dead' alien gods and the activities of their cults on earth. Pulp horror, really. His weird view of the universe struck a bit of a chord and many other writers were inspired to add to his 'mythos' including such types as Robert Bloch and Robert E. Howard (the Conan guy).

The mythos is still a big deal with gamers probably partly because of the role-playing game that came out in the 80s keeping it alive. This game was called "Call of Cthulhu", and was named after one of Lovecraft's short stories. Cthulhu himself is the giant slimy chap with a squid for a face. He is one of the 'gods' and sleeps in a sunken city somewhere under the Pacific Ocean. His dreams have the power to reach out and influence people, possibly bringing them under his sway.

The role-playing game is the first one I ever played, and still one of my favourites. Very atmospheric, and you can really terrify your players if you get it right.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
Never heard of H.P. Lovecraft?

Get thee gone, and never darken our doors again!

Just kidding. Lovecraft was a writer in the 20s and 30s. He wrote about bizarre creatures, cosmic monsters and strange 'dead' alien gods and the activities of their cults on earth. Pulp horror, really. His weird view of the universe struck a bit of a chord and many other writers were inspired to add to his 'mythos' including such types as Robert Bloch and Robert E. Howard (the Conan guy).

The mythos is still a big deal with gamers probably partly because of the role-playing game that came out in the 80s keeping it alive. This game was called "Call of Cthulhu", and was named after one of Lovecraft's short stories. Cthulhu himself is the giant slimy chap with a squid for a face. He is one of the 'gods' and sleeps in a sunken city somewhere under the Pacific Ocean. His dreams have the power to reach out and influence people, possibly bringing them under his sway.

The role-playing game is the first one I ever played, and still one of my favourites. Very atmospheric, and you can really terrify your players if you get it right.

I see. Well, that explains the fish part. How many books/stories are there then?

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
Hi if you want to get the most important ones buy this collection "Necronomicon,the best wierd tales of HP Lovecraft " but there are full lists of his work on the net just puit in HP Lovecraft you will get loads of lists. Background stuff on the chaosiam website they do the great RPG.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:16:07 PM by itchy »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
:o
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »
Lose 2d6 SAN

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
Sorry all, I'll try harder, I promise...

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:07:24 AM »
Lose 2d6 SAN

For checking on the Mythos or for using Wikipedia? In the latter case, 2d6 is far too player-friendly and not severe enough to do the horror justice. lol

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 05:56:35 AM »
If you want a quick look at HPL's work, check out the following link.  It's an online library of most of his works.  One of my favourites is the quite short 'The Statement of Randolph Carter'.  It's only about 8 pages, but it'll give you an idea of the subtle undercurrents that you'll find in his longer stories.  Lovecraft wrote the kind of tales that often appear rather benign on the surface but the more you read, the more you'll get the impression that something is hiding in your subconscious, scratching at the locked door.  Once in a while, it gets out and gives you a nasty shock, before slithering into the shadows again to bide its time.  Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot' did the same thing to me when I first read it and I still get the creeps every time I reread it.

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 08:38:10 AM »
His stuff is out of copyright I think, so you can find most of his stuff online for free.

I recently listened to some great audio recordings of the mountains of madness and others. So scary!

Lovecraft is great, the story Call of Cthulu is fantastic(its just a short story). Yeah, go to it my man!

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »
How many books/stories are there then?

Tens of thousands, literally, that can be considered "canon" or nearly so, and many many more that are inspired by or influenced by Lovecraft.  Brian Lumley's Necroscope series wouldn't exist without Lovecraft, and F Paul Wilson's books would be very different.  Hellboy might not exist, certainly not in the current form, either (to pull some current references out).

There's even an excyclopedia that you can buy that lists nearly everything, it's called the "Mythos Concordance and Bibliography", or something like that.

-Alex

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »
Björn

You're young, and this is your first exposure to Cthulhu. I was about your age when I discovered Lovecraft - recommended by an English teacher in high school - and if the stories interest you, then you're on a great literary adventure. All I can say is - I envy you, finding this author, and his contemporaries, for the first time! The stories are really great, and I hope you enjoy them. Then work your way into the gaming, if you're so inclined.
  Good luck!

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »