Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign UPDATED 04 may  (Read 2967 times)

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
Re: Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »
For Inspiration take Wikipedia. ..Reichsritterschafft. ...there you can find the different kantons and a lot of historical names where you can make an fantasy name ;)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:48 AM »
Thank you, will do!

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 10:23:14 PM »
It has been quiet here for a while. I wasn't idle though, I just didn't have the time to take decent pictures yet. So now that I did I will roll out a bunch of updates faster.

One of the things I struggle with a lot when it comes to miniatures is that I have the tendency to over compensate and I often don't get to start things or I redo them. Even though I really enjoy creating entirely new things I can get stuck on simple things such as shield designs or a flag. I am slowly learning how to deal with this but here and there I get to go back and redo a few things.

This time my leader had to suffer and I made a different model for him that looks very similar. He is still nameless but I figured I'll get back to it once I finished all my models for this project.
I did not get round to finishing his base yet but I'm sure that will happen soon.

I also turned one of his mounted brothers blue's into reds.

This guy hasn't changed but I took some better pictures of him.

This guy is new.

And finally the banner carrier that goes with my leader. I stole the imagery of Stephen of Blois because I'm really interested in the Anarchy, Except I'm using one centaur instead of three. I also changed the field from one red field to a split red and white field but it's a small homage I guess.

This is them so far. I'm still missing one guy but he will soon be done.

Offline Gargobot

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
Looking good dude, especially like the beard shadow!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »
Very cool stuff!

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Re: Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign UPDATED 02 may
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
Thank you for the kind words

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Re: Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign UPDATED 02 may
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
I have been playing the yellow piece in most of the boardgames that I play for a long time now. Ironically I have never owned an army of any kind that was yellow. I thought this would be a good moment to add some yellow stuff to this too because of the imperial banner and all. For my first unit of foot serjeants I thought it would be fun to have this unit from a town that lies on the lands of my leader (him being a noble and all). I don't really know how that would work if say there were multiple towns and say this one wasnt governed by a lord but more something that you would call an Exarch. A sheriff of some sort. I'll just roll with it and create the unit for that later. These are some drummed up poor souls that get to fight in that army.

Names follow later as that works better for me. I really like the guy with the trumpet.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Breaz' Brushes his Solace campaign UPDATED 04 may
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 11:12:05 AM »
I really like your painting style, it looks somewhat more realistic in 'tone' to me. Well done!

I've been quite inspired by this thread and others to delve into the HRR and it's quite fascinating; as well as providing an excellent setting for small wars.

:)

*Edit* - I don't know how correct this is, but I read that the yellow field backing the Imperial Eagle symbolised a unit raised for the Emperor's service and otherwise a white field backing the eagle was used. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:18:39 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 01:44:54 PM »
Great work, Breazer. You're one of an elite cadre of LAFfers who have steadily demolished my staunchly mail-clad tastes, and opened my heart to the later Middle Ages. Claymore and Perry should have you lot on commission!  lol

I really like the yellow; it's not always an easy colour to paint well (or convincingly), but this is a treat for my eyes.

Btw, I like the elliptical bases for the cavalry. Where can I find bases like that?
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 12:02:12 AM »
@arlequin, thank you very much. also for the info. I feel like I should take better pictures though.

@Garanhir, those are some very kind words my friend. I am actually quite the mailclad fan myself and i'll probably post some footsores I painted recently here soon too. Yellow is indeed difficult to make look halfway decent and I try.
The bases are from games workshop, they come in two sizes and these are the smallest version.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 06:00:02 AM »
Nice work! I really like the pose of the trumpeter. I also really like the halberdier on the far right using the body from the foot knight command sprue - I think I'm gonna try that build myself. That's a really useful body, it's really annoying that you only get one per box! You can get the command sprue separately, which I have done, but that also means I have all these unwanted multiples of the other body (and the Richard III heads) knocking about....

You're one of an elite cadre of LAFfers who have steadily demolished my staunchly mail-clad tastes, and opened my heart to the later Middle Ages.

Trade in your worn-out mail for a suit of fine Milanese plate!

It's funny how different eras of the middle ages appeal to us differently. I have almost ZERO interest in anything from the dark ages up to about 1300 (at least as far as wargaming goes), but I LOVE anything from the 15th century.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 11:28:51 AM »
Thank you charlie. I get easily inspired to almost anything with a sword or a spear in hand, or an axe for that matter.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:48:30 PM by Breazer »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »
... but that also means I have all these unwanted multiples of the other body (and the Richard III heads) knocking about.

I think that is the trade-off with the versatility. Maybe 'waste-not, want not' makes sense ordinarily, but having a pool of 'spares' is the price of creating 'that figure'.

Somebody once said to me that wargaming is just an expensive hobby and that was that; if it was an issue, maybe I should take up something cheaper, like golf.

;)

Seriously though, those 'Richard' heads may come in useful down the line, even if moustaches or beards have to be added; it's not like you'll be short of them to practice on.

:)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
And a good thing to remember too is that you get a set of extra banner arms. One can never have enough cool banners flapping in the wind!