Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686449
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foreign Legion - scale comparison question  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Foreign Legion - scale comparison question
« on: April 05, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
Can anyone provide me with an idea of how the Foreign Legion figures by Askari and Unfeasibly scale with other manufacturers (e.g. Artizan)?
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Foreign Legion - scale comparison question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:14:32 AM »
I'd wager the Artizan ones will be a tad taller and more bulky than the Askari stuff and bulkier but maybe similar height to the Unfeasibly figures.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:20:58 AM »
I have both Askari & Unfeasibly figures in my FFL collection. The Askari are a little flat but still paint up nicely. The Unfeasibly figures are just a little smaller but are more life like & have more poses. They don't look bad on the table together. I do have a lot of Artizan figures in my Afghans as well as some Askari figure too. The Artizan & Askari figures mix together really well. I do have the Artizan FFL cavalry, but it is kind of hard to compare mounted with foot troops. They all look nice on the table together though.   
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
Thanks for the help chaps :)

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
If you're thinking of buying any Unfeasibly, be sure to get them from Black Hat, who makes them under licence and Mike will give you an excellent and reliable service.

The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of Mark at Unfeasibly himself, who has gone AWOL from his recent Kickstarter. Caveat Emptor!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
If you're thinking of buying any Unfeasibly, be sure to get them from Black Hat, who makes them under licence and Mike will give you an excellent and reliable service.

The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of Mark at Unfeasibly himself, who has gone AWOL from his recent Kickstarter. Caveat Emptor!

Thanks for that.

Colonel Bill's also stock Unfeasibly.

Immediately I'm looking at artillery for my new French force (who will be in tropical helmets rather than the classic Beau Jeste style), but am still dithering over whose gunners I use that will match in best with my infantry (with minimal/no conversion). I have a couple of options from other ranges to explore too before making my final decision.

Regardless of where I go for crew figures, I will be picking up a couple of 80mm mountain guns from Col Bill.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »
I use Askari and Dixons FFL together, they scale nicely together.
As said Artizan fit in with them but are beefier.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 06:28:55 AM »
I use Askari and Dixons FFL together, they scale nicely together.

Thanks, that's useful to know, as Askari do a marine gun crew in tropical helmets and a full mule team.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 06:31:03 AM »
Does anyone know if Askari have a UK or European stockist, it can you only get their products direct?

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 07:48:51 AM »
You have to order direct, there's no UK/Euro distributor. Service has been excellent for the 3 orders I've placed with them, including prompt replacement of a couple of figures that were damaged in transit.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
It's certainly a pitfall. It was an order from Askari that led to me no longer buying from outside the EU, as I got a massive bill from the customs for what was quite a small order. Delivery was held up because of this, and I think I was even charged extra for the privilege of them looking after it for me while waiting for me to pay the customs charge. Just made it not worth it in the end.

None of this is Askari's fault, of course, but it has put them (and all other manufacturers on the other side of the pond without dealers over here) beyond the pale for me.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
i understand you..but i tought that postage between US and UK was more affordable..above all now that you resurrected trough Brexit...here in continental  gulag..sorry European Union  :-X we are obliged to pay, at least in Italy,  criminal organisations (privatised postal service) that Govts use to collect bribes offering, in exchange, very poor and costly  services....that is the reason why a brilliant range like Askari which is a true work of love is, at the end, unreachable...they are specalised in French Colonial..i have some and they mix very well with everything..including, once figures are painted and based, with my big Redoubt FFL...i strongly suggest you to find a way to purchase some of their minis.( afriend in USA) because items such as .the dismantled mule born canon de montagne , the art crews in tropical helmet are a must..i would suggest you as a leader of your art crew the flamboyant colonial officer in  dolman and "pantalons flottants" looking trough his binocular, included in the "zouave command" packet.which you can paint as Légion, Art Métropolitaine or Colonial Artillery , .in my opinion the most iconic and best French Colonial mini ever made..
http://askari-minis.com/images/FR-2ap.jpg
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:38:01 PM by italwars »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
The postage is affordable, but you can get stung by seemingly random customs charges. And that is something that is going to happen when buying from EU countries too pretty soon once we leave the single market. It's also going to affect our EU friends who want to buy British figures unless our politicians can work the miracle of negotiations they have promised us (my view? Fat chance of that happening).

I have had some small experience of the Italian post through my job, with parcels vanishing into thin air. Our Italian customers always say "do not send by mail, we won't get it." It makes one wonder how such a service can operate at all, if they steal everything sent by mail and never actually deliver anything.  ;D

Anyway, this is probably dancing on the border of talking politics, so we'd better watch ourselves, or the moderator might get cross with us. And we don't want to hijack Bullshott's thread about Askari and turn it into one about the EU. :)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
Plinkes..if you want to send or receiving something from Italy..i strongly suggest you to let it carry by hand by one of your nicely painted askari or porters minis..far more safe
that's all for EU ;)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 06:39:10 PM »
** Edited to correct errors caused by predictive text on my phone **

I have the same concerns as Plynkes regarding customs charges when ordering from outside the EU. Especially since the current limit in the UK is £15, after which you get charged VAT and a handling fee.

Unfortunately my mate who lived in the States has returned to the UK, so I can't even bypass fees that way. Looks like I won't be using Askari, at least for the time bring. Will have to look out for alternative gunner figures.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 10:12:24 PM by Bullshott »