Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Let's Play! - Shadow War: Armageddon  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
Let's Play! - Shadow War: Armageddon
« on: April 07, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
I did a bit of a retrospective in Wars in the Underhive for the kiddos and check out the newest edition of 'Necromunda'.

Let's Play! - Shadow War: Armageddon

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Let's Play! - Shadow War: Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
Good video, as always.  I'm still borderline on the game, but it's awesome to see the reaction from people.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
Good video, as always.  I'm still borderline on the game, but it's awesome to see the reaction from people.

If it does nothing but introduce the E-Sports generation to narrative gameplay, I'm happy. :)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »
Are those the Scout that come with the game?  They look rough- like Space Wolf Scouts.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »
Are those the Scout that come with the game?  They look rough- like Space Wolf Scouts.

Those seem to be a simples conversion of Space Marine heads on Scouts bodies. The ones that come with the box are the "normal" (old) ones.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 03:46:19 AM »
If it does nothing but introduce the E-Sports generation to narrative gameplay, I'm happy. :)

I concur, I'm just a little sad that the depth of the narrative has been reduced.  If I get into this I'll be more tempted to use the Necro tables in place of the SWA ones.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 04:33:14 AM »
Necromunda was alot of fun.  I played Spyrers because i didnt want to convert any miniatures if they changed weapons. Your gang was only 4-5 members, so painting was quick too. Fun game!  I'll probably pick this up if its re-released.   I really only need the rules- not minis or terrain.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 06:15:07 AM »
If my local store has it tomorrow when I go I'm getting a copy.  The terrain alone is probably worth the price of admission. 

It looks fun to play and if they do have it we will probably try it with 30K figs, possibly doing some Istvaan III stuff with two groups of opposing World Eaters or some Prospero stuff with Rout and Thousand Sons.  I'll use Sisters of Silence vs. Thousand Sons if there are rules for them, that would be perfect.

I imagine there is a good chance it will be sold out by the time I get there though.

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »

They're the normal plastic scouts with just the addition of the Wolf Scout heads you get on the Space Wolf accessory sprue. There's actually a blurb of rules for using Space Wolves on Armageddon. :)

I concur, I'm just a little sad that the depth of the narrative has been reduced.  If I get into this I'll be more tempted to use the Necro tables in place of the SWA ones.

I'm actually fine with the Book Keeping being removed because it means two things;

1) No Runaway Gangs. Lucky Experience rolls (as in the D6) could mean gangs leveled up unevenly. Losing gangs would keep losing very often and it was hard for them to come back.

2) It means team sheets aren't so eraser'd by a few games you've worn holes in them. :)

If my local store has it tomorrow when I go I'm getting a copy.  The terrain alone is probably worth the price of admission. 

It looks fun to play and if they do have it we will probably try it with 30K figs, possibly doing some Istvaan III stuff with two groups of opposing World Eaters or some Prospero stuff with Rout and Thousand Sons.  I'll use Sisters of Silence vs. Thousand Sons if there are rules for them, that would be perfect.

I imagine there is a good chance it will be sold out by the time I get there though.

I was planning on doing a Chaos Space Marine team using 30k guys. The marks could represent various legions and the Cultists Chapter Serfs. Works perfectly well for my Alpha Legion. :)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »
@ Achilles:

I'm looking forward to watching your vid this weekend (saving it for Easter! ;) ).

Your comments on Necromunda are basically my experience too, and I notice that it's a bit less pronounced with Mordheim due the way you choose skills and have a heroes/henchman split.

That said, I do think the post-game simplification (and achievable-looking end goal of getting 15 Promethium caches) in SWA will help get campaigns actually completed.

Also, since Necromunda was mentioned... Any more games of this in the pipeline?  :D

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
I love your Shadow War battles against the Space Wolves.  I was lucky enough to get a copy of the game.  I think I'll try Eldar.

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
Thanks for the SW video Ash. I am looking forward to see what you do when you start your actual SW campaign.

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:48 PM »
@ Achilles:

I'm looking forward to watching your vid this weekend (saving it for Easter! ;) ).

Your comments on Necromunda are basically my experience too, and I notice that it's a bit less pronounced with Mordheim due the way you choose skills and have a heroes/henchman split.

That said, I do think the post-game simplification (and achievable-looking end goal of getting 15 Promethium caches) in SWA will help get campaigns actually completed.

Also, since Necromunda was mentioned... Any more games of this in the pipeline?  :D

Lots more in the works. :) Now that Owen knows the rules for SWA teaching him Necromunda won't be hard...

We've filmed the first few games of the SWA campaign! It's been great so far and wonderfully quick to play without all the post game match.

We've also found the Advance on the casualty table really helps a beleaguered Kill Team succeed after a bad game. We've had one team nearly all get killed but receive 4 advances in the post game because of casualties! :D

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 01:33:21 AM »
Nice, and thank you for the update too - I'll be sure to check it out!  :D

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 03:39:39 AM »
Can you play the Mark III Marines in the SWA rules?

I woukld love to field them, and a Tartaros Terminator as a special.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway