Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chopping hands off....................  (Read 3236 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Chopping hands off....................
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:37:56 PM »
So I have got me some of those nice westwind zendarians, cossacks, zendarian vampire hunters etc...

Some have flaming brands in their hands and don't quite fit in with what I have in mind i.e. some VSF, pulpy type stuff.

If I was to chop off the hands I don't want where could I get hand and pistol and rapier/sword replacements.

I could just cut the brand top and bottom but want to put a weapon eithe rsword or pistol in it.

What do you reckon  :D

Thanks in advance.

Dodge

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Chopping hands off....................
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
And there was me thinking you were taking your new role as Darth Dodge far too seriously and you were about to amputate your sons hand :o :o

What thou needs oh dark one is a bits box. Its sacrilige to sacrifice good minis but sometimes it just has to happen if you are to achieve the greater good. If you are really lucky the incomplete models sometimes come in useful for something else - very rarely though :'(
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »
I agree with Svennn the DH Nut, unless you can find a company that sells bits and pieces you need to look at your spare figures for alternatives. I'm always hacking off limbs and chopping of heads or hats to fit on a miniature that I see has potential.

As Svennn the DH Nut said, "It's for the greater good." I agree completely.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:52:42 AM »
Might be worth seeing if you can get a job lot of suitable minis (in terms of scale/weaponry) from the electronic bay to rob the hands from, which leaves you with one of the hobbies greater pleasures, 'finding a good use for leftover minis you got in a job lot'. You'd be surprised what levels of creativity you can rise to if you stare at an old, forlorn mini long enough...

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:15:16 AM »
Brigade Games has a collection of assorted hands:

http://www.brigadegames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BG-CP01&Category_Code=BGGL&Product_Count=0

An assortment of hands for customizing miniatures:
Comes with 11 different hands :
1 open right hand(empty)
1 open left hand (empty)
1 telescope
1 open book
1 ray gun rifle
1 sword
1 rifle
1 raygun
1 umbrella
1 luger with rifle stock
1 hand holding pith helmet

They're a trifle on the small side, but I think they'd be fine for Westwind.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:17:16 AM by Mancha »

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:03:39 AM »
Brigade Games has a collection of assorted hands:

http://www.brigadegames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BG-CP01&Category_Code=BGGL&Product_Count=0

An assortment of hands for customizing miniatures:
Comes with 11 different hands :
1 open right hand(empty)
1 open left hand (empty)
1 telescope
1 open book
1 ray gun rifle
1 sword
1 rifle
1 raygun
1 umbrella
1 luger with rifle stock
1 hand holding pith helmet

They're a trifle on the small side, but I think they'd be fine for Westwind.

Thanks Mancha, I can see some worth for my modelling on WW1 figures except of course the Ray Gun.

Is the left hands also holding the above or just the right hand?

Chow,

Helen

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:28:16 AM »
The following picture should help:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
If it doesn't have to be too modern, get some sprues of plastic GW empire militia off ebay. Will be cheap and has lots of useful bits.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »
I would second WK's suggestion. GW kits are great for spare hands and weapons, and being plastic they are easy to carve into new shapes if for example, the sword blades are too chunky. Makes them easier to pin to metal models too.

I would suggest looking at the elf boxes though, for some reason the hands on the human models are always really big, but the elf ones are a lot more slender and will fit better with other companies 28mm stuff.

Unless you want great big ham-hands on 'em, of course, then you're sorted.  :D

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »
True. I have a box of woodelf cavalry that I've gotten just for the horses and found that I'm using the hands on all sorts of 28mm minis, including some perry ones. Two elven spear blades became knives for my WWW2 Kroenen conversion. :)

I suggested the militia figures because some have pistols and rapier-like swords (though more suited to the swashbuckling era really).

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Gosh  :o

Had a quick look last night around 8.30 and had no replies,

came back just now to find a whole social network.

Fortunately for my son he needs both his hands.

But I will gather a bits box together I have lots of old and new cadians, dark elves , and an empire spear unit and lots of minis from artisan and westwind now that I could chop about.

The brigade options look good too excellent as always and thank you all very much.

Now where did I put those trimmers............

dodge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
The only other option other than hand transplants is too remove the flaming torches top and bottom and then drill out the hand  with mini drill and insert piano  wire sword blade. (hammer it flat first and then shape it with circular sanding disk on mini drill)
You can then add a bit if green stuff for whatever shape guard you want.

Ihave doen quite a few sword and knives this way. The benefit is you get a blade than doesnt bend and can be as sharp as you like >:D

Sculpting a pistol is more complicated, but at least you have saved the trouble of having to remove the hand and pin a new one.

In all honesty I don't think there's much time difference between either option, both have their merits and disadvantages.

I have found that surplus OG cowboys/cavalrymen have identical hands to Westwind figures and they have provided many a spare pistol hand. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »
The only other option other than hand transplants is too remove the flaming torches top and bottom and then drill out the hand  with mini drill and insert piano  wire sword blade. (hammer it flat first and then shape it with circular sanding disk on mini drill)
You can then add a bit if green stuff for whatever shape guard you want.

Ihave doen quite a few sword and knives this way. The benefit is you get a blade than doesnt bend and can be as sharp as you like >:D

Sculpting a pistol is more complicated, but at least you have saved the trouble of having to remove the hand and pin a new one.

In all honesty I don't think there's much time difference between either option, both have their merits and disadvantages.

I have found that surplus OG cowboys/cavalrymen have identical hands to Westwind figures and they have provided many a spare pistol hand. :)

Thanks mate

I have had a nice detailed look and see that it is the left hand  o_o on the minis I need to change so I guess I am looking for left handed swordsmen pistols or to do as you say drill and fit a sword using piano wire or hammered pin for a sword.

Good advice from everyone.

I need to bend a couple of arms into a slightly different pose too on a couple.

I think itsgoing to be quite entertaining  :D