Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Maps, computers, and war gaming  (Read 985 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Maps, computers, and war gaming
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
I have Apple Products and do not plan to buy other computers at this time, maybe never.  $$$

My question is, has anyone used Crossover to run Campaign Cartographer 3+ and how did it satisfy?

As an retired Cartographer and an ex-DM/GM I do not wish to compete with professional cartography companies but CC3+ seems like it would scratch my game mapping itch.

Spare me the “switch to Microsoft” Kool-Aid as having retired recently in my middle 60s I have neither money or interest in changing computer systems for a few years.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
Re: Maps, computers, and war gaming
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:41 AM »
I run Campaign Cartographer 3 on windows so I cannot comment on Crossover, but I can recommend CC3 with a few provisos.

It's ideal for making realistic looking maps quickly, You can get a half decent map down in maybe half an hour. However, if you're making a real world map I do find it lacking somewhat without a relatively pricey add-on. Even the add-on that adds the ability to work with some modern icons I find lacking in some respects.

It's ultimately more designed for the fantasy market, so if Mars 1888 is your thing I can see it working for you, or if you're looking to create a small area of land. Continents etc with the detailed information on states with the full border extravaganza it starts becoming a lot more tricky.

So recommended - mostly. :)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Maps, computers, and war gaming
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:55:28 AM »
I run Campaign Cartographer 3 on windows so I cannot comment on Crossover, but I can recommend CC3 with a few provisos.

It's ideal for making realistic looking maps quickly, You can get a half decent map down in maybe half an hour. However, if you're making a real world map I do find it lacking somewhat without a relatively pricey add-on. Even the add-on that adds the ability to work with some modern icons I find lacking in some respects.

It's ultimately more designed for the fantasy market, so if Mars 1888 is your thing I can see it working for you, or if you're looking to create a small area of land. Continents etc with the detailed information on states with the full border extravaganza it starts becoming a lot more tricky.

So recommended - mostly. :)

Downloaded CC3+ but did not install, downloaded and installed Crossover trial 14 days of full software, installed CC3+ via Crossover...  Bingo!  Still learning (curve is less than ARCGIS but more than early version of MapInfo) but I think this is going to be very useful for simple cartography usage.  Having been a Cartographer and a main frame programmer I would never use it for serious work (ESRI is safe) but I like what I see so far!