Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140708 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 171121: Scatter terrain
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:49 PM »
They're really effective - 10mm wooden cubes?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
I like very much your ideas and your world building....the red brick housing the entrance jarred with me though. Might not the soil of other worlds yield different coloured clays like yellow, purple, blue? That's the way I would have painted it, but that's just me...
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
Nice!  I love those little wood cubes.  I use them for everything!

They are great, although the ones I've got has a hole through them...

They're really effective - 10mm wooden cubes?

They are wood cubes bought in a set of beads, 8 mm/side (I think). There is a hole through each one, so I've covered the top with ≈ 7 mm squares of 0,5 mm plasticard.
Glue the crates in clusters with super glue, undercoat in black, heavy drybrush with khaki, wash with army painter strong tone, drybrush khaki and finish with khaki + white drybrush.
Paint markings with charred brown.
Done!

I like very much your ideas and your world building....the red brick housing the entrance jarred with me though. Might not the soil of other worlds yield different coloured clays like yellow, purple, blue? That's the way I would have painted it, but that's just me...

Thanks vodkafan for the feedback!

Never thought about more exotic bricks, that might be cool! I've been inspired by Swedish children's books author Jan Lööf, which makes my newer buildings more "classical Swedish buildings" than "sci-fi spectacular".

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
Nice crates.
Very useful little cubes them be.
 8) 8)

I think that you should have at least one 'this way up' arrow pointing in the wrong direction, though.
 ;)

As for the brick colour: The most useful thing when painting them in 'normal' colours is that you will be able to use the scenery item for other games set in the 'real' world too.
Versatility and all that.
 :)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
Thanks, Mason!

As for the brick colour: The most useful thing when painting them in 'normal' colours is that you will be able to use the scenery item for other games set in the 'real' world too.
Versatility and all that.

I totally agree, although I don't have any other projects right now, I would like to be able to use my terrain in other settings.
My main problem is signage. Do I write in English or with alien letters? What kind of names are usable both in a sci-fi setting and a pulp setting? Could I make replaceable signs?

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 171201: Container building, General Store
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2017, 10:23:11 PM »
DSC_0108 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Across the galaxy, no race is as expansive as humans. Ever since humanity first learned to leave the home system, humans have colonized whatever worlds they have found. Unlike many other races, humans haven't been deterred by hostile environments (or inhabitants). They have adapted, endured, terraformed and colonized.

Colonization takes many shapes, from official Unity missions and corporate endeavours to private expeditions and unauthorized flag drops. Well funded and ambitious colonization attempts may employ gigantic generational space ships, where the ship itself at arrival breaks down into specific modules (power generators, construction yards, barracks, infirmaries and so on) which will form the base of the colony.

Not every colony will be that sophisticated. By loading up a cargo hauler with containers filled with construction materials and supplies, one could create a basic colony. The containers will be converted to buildings, later on new buildings are constructed from a mix of local materials and whatever the colonists brought. Pictured is a container building with an added corrugated fence, probably a general store or a communal distribution center.

IMG_0736 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0735 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0729 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0730 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0731 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0732 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2017, 01:08:38 AM »
Hey I like that!  It reminds me of a frontier town, sort of wired west.  I really like the windows.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »
That's brilliant - one of my favourites you've done. The fenced-off backyard is great.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »
Excellent.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2017, 03:59:30 PM »
Hey I like that!  It reminds me of a frontier town, sort of wired west.  I really like the windows.

Thanks, Michael!

It's the vibe I'm trying to capture, frontier colony, wild weird west. Originally inspired by @tmcllghn on instagram.

Windows are just plasticard cut to fit, drybrushed frame and windows painted black at first with gem effect in grey.

That's brilliant - one of my favourites you've done. The fenced-off backyard is great.

Thanks Jagannath!

It was my first finished badlands colony building, I like it very much myself! I'm especially fond of the concrete foundation, the machinery and the backyard.

Excellent.

Thanks UVS!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 171216: Container buildings, continued
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2017, 10:24:32 PM »
Work and personal life is pretty stressful right now, so very little time goes to my hobby. Still, I photographed every single building I have in my collection a couple of weeks ago, so when I get time, I can write a short story and post some pictures. Here, we've got a couple of container buildings.

---

In "Container Colonies", the first buildings are (as one could guess) constructed from containers. Multiple containers are often combined to create larger buildings, especially when it comes to buildings serving the entire colony. Infirmaries, communications centres, construction yards and workshops are examples of such constructions.

Single container buildings are most often used as homes or private quarters of the colonists, although they can also be used as guard posts or jails. They are almost always modified in some way. Pictured here is a private home of one semi-wealthy colonist, who has chosen to exchange one set of doors for a one-way plate glass window, giving her a full view of the valley below. Also pictured is a modest container building serving as sleeping quarters for prospectors returning from outbound missions.

IMG_0737 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0739 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0740 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0741 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0743 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0744 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0745 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0746 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

IMG_0747 by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2017, 11:27:59 PM »
Awesome again, you’ve got quite the colony!

The green one is especially sharp.

Are all the doodads from GZG miniatures?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2017, 11:56:24 PM »
Very nice.
Especially the 'backyard' on the earlier offering.
 8) 8)

I look forward to seeing a few larger 'multi-container' buildings.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2017, 06:44:39 AM »
Awesome again, you’ve got quite the colony!

The green one is especially sharp.

Are all the doodads from GZG miniatures?

Thanks, these are my last finished colony buildings (although I've got some in varying states of completion).

The doors and ladders are scratchbuilt, while the machinery/electronics are from GZG. I want to diversify, so I've been using Auhagen stuff on my city buildings and been in contact with Antenocitis workshop about their earlier 15mm terrain (he says that it's coming back)!

Very nice.
Especially the 'backyard' on the earlier offering.
 8) 8)

I look forward to seeing a few larger 'multi-container' buildings.

Thanks, Mason!

The multi-container buildings are mostly built and painted, but they haven't recieved the greebly love that they deserve (that means not enough doors, vents, electronics and communications arrays)!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
Lovely job on these latest ones - the outpost must be looking pretty good now!