Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140690 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 190111: Steiner & Krüger Sicherheit
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »
Great looking figures, wonderful backstory.  Please keep 'em coming !

Thanks, Metternich - kind of you!

I'm going to make a (at least) five miniatures large warband, adding two GZG mercenaries and one Colonial Security mini to these two armed colonists. I plan to paint my Skylark Patrol Flyer in the same colours.

I've become obsessed with this concrete grey/yellow colour scheme, already got another force that I will paint in the same colours...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:25 PM »
Lovely additions to the project, you are getting great character in those little shinies.
 8) 8)

I haven't seen Firefly, but I've heard a lot of people like it. I just want a versatile setting where I can create interconnected plots. I want Golgotha Prime to have some urban centers, where law actually means something (but still might be hard to enforce), while also having loads of smaller settlements where law is the gun in one's hand...

Sounds a lot like how I envisage my own frontier world of Outland too.
And I could not get my head around Firefly when I tried to....
 :D

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:07 AM »
Lovely additions to the project, you are getting great character in those little shinies.
 8) 8)

Thanks, Mason!

Sounds a lot like how I envisage my own frontier world of Outland too.
And I could not get my head around Firefly when I tried to....
 :D

I think your Outland setting is great, love your terrain. Always a pleasure to watch your new posts!

I heard that Fox changed the order of the episodes from the order Joss Whedon intended them to be aired, making the series a mess to wrap your head around.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 190113: William 'Bill' Overbeck
« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
William 'Bill' Overbeck by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

+++ EXCERPT FROM DEBRIEFING +++

+++ SUBJECT: LAZARUS OUTBREAK ON GABEN'S MERCY +++

+++ INTERVIEWEE: SURVIVOR, SPECIAL FORCES VETERAN WILLIAM OVERBECK +++

"I was slated for knee surgery at Mercy Hospital, but that was delayed indefinitely after the outbreak of 'Green Flu'. Then the flu turned out to be the Lazarus T-strain virus, and everything went to hell.
When the local government and defense force realized what they actually were dealing with, and that they might get infected themselves, we were left for dead.

I met up with Zoey, Francis and Louis on the way to Mercy Hospital. We had all heard broadcasts that they were carrying out evacuations from there, and we were ready to fight the infected to get out. I won't bore you with the details, but we got to the landing pad on top of the hospital, we got on an outbound transport, but it all ended in a crash.

We survived, we fought, we hiked through forests, we flew, we went by boat, we got evacuated to a military outpost and thought we were safe, which we of course weren't. The outpost got overrun and we escaped by train.

Finally, we arrived at a spaceport, where we found one serviceable spaceship. The storm shutters were closed and the power was out, so we had to jury-rig some generators. The shutters were almost open when the power went out. If it weren't for my sacrifice, we all would be dead. I ran back through the horde and restarted the generator. The infected maimed me pretty bad, I would have bled out, but luckily I found an emergency stasis chamber. And that's where you found me.
I saw them leave. It was the last thing I saw, before going into stasis, the glowing engines ascending through the skies..."

+++ CURRENT STATUS OF WILLIAM OVERBECK: AWOL +++

+++ CURRENT LOCATION: INTEL PLACES HIM IN THE GOLGOTHA SYSTEM +++

Fighting the horde by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Tactical withdrawal by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Close-up, William 'Bill' Overbeck by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Close-up, William 'Bill' Overbeck by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #349 on: January 20, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
That's a great looking mini mate, lovely painting.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #350 on: January 21, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
That's a great looking mini mate, lovely painting.

Thanks, Rory!

It's a great mini from the Ion Age (Precinct Adventurers), I wanted it since I saw the first preview. It reminds me of Bill from Left 4 Dead, one of my favourite games of all time (and Bill is "my" character when I play with my friends).

Now I'm thinking about what to do next. I have begun working again, so I don't have as much hobby time as before, but I've got some cool projects coming up: Finish the Steiner & Krüger Sicherheit crew, perhaps paint some vehicles and hopefully paint a new crew (that I haven't thought out a backstory for yet, but perhaps they are a sci-fi delivery firm)...

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #351 on: January 21, 2019, 02:14:57 PM »
Just catching up on this thread, some very nice additions to your collection.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #352 on: January 21, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »
The writeup is great.  Like a horrible version of trains, planes, and automobiles. 

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2019, 09:42:54 PM »
Just catching up on this thread, some very nice additions to your collection.

Thanks, it's nice to see you back again!

The writeup is great.  Like a horrible version of trains, planes, and automobiles. 

Thanks! It's mainly a sci-fi retelling of the 2008 co-op shooter Left 4 Dead.

Originally the game was four independent scenarios, where four survivors were fighting zombies and special infected to reach some kind of rescue/evacuation. That was later retconned, so that the game would be telling one continuous story, but with the same maps, which meant:

- The survivors fought through an infected city to reach a highrise hospital and fight their way to the top floor. After a grand fight, they get rescued by a helicopter.
- The helicopter pilot was infected and crashed the chopper. The survivors fought infected until they find an armoured school bus, which they drive to...
- A forest where they follow train tracks to a town by a river, where a boat rescues them.
- The boat captain leaves them in a rooftop greenhouse (?), the survivors escape across rooftops to an airport, where they escape by plane.
- The plane crashes(?), the survivors find themselves in another forest, fighting their way to a farm where the military still does evacuations to a military compound.
- The military compound gets overrun, the survivors escape by train. At the terminus, they find a boat stuck behind a lowered bridge. They attempt to raise the bridge, but a final power outage leaves no option except for one individual sacrificing themselves to start the generator.
[Edit: and the final three survivors sail away in the sunset towards the Florida Keys]

The end.

It's a bit weird  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:51:37 AM by Ockman »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 190213: Random musings
« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »
So I've begun working again, after being on parental leave for 10 months.

Let's just say that I haven't had any time (or energy) for doing anything hobby related. Hopefully this will change as I grow accustomed to working again.

What I have done is return to Five Parsecs from Home and I've realized that I'm not as fond of the system as I was before. Although it has brought me much joy to roll up crews in the past, I've found that part a bit constraining lately. I roll up characters or crews that don't fit my idea, I want to be more in control of character creation and since I've rolled hundreds (thousands?) of crews since 2015, they tend to become pretty similar after a while.

Instead, I've been eyeing another Nordic Weasle product, Starport Scum, which fits my vision a lot more!

Instead of rolling on tables (but one can still roll on tables), one picks tags for each character (aces having one, heroes three, while goons and bruisers have none): An old bounty hunter with LIGHTNING REFLEXES or A combat droid with SCANNER PACKAGE.

It seems to be a solid set of rules, although I haven't read it thoroughly yet.

Steiner & Krüger Sicherheit, coming up by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Although I haven't had time to paint or anything, I have completed Steiner & Krüger Sicherheit with one GZG Merc sniper, one GZG Merc female trooper and one GZG Colonial Security. Hopefully, I will get them painted sometime soon!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
As a stay-at-home father once myself I wish you good fortune in going back to work.

I can't wait to read your future reports!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 190322: Arkham Horror-inspired encounters
« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »
Life's a bit hectic right now, but the will to focus on my hobby is slowly coming back. This weekend, I'm at my inlaws, and I had some time to put my ideas on paper.

I've been playing some Arkham Horror 3rd edition, and I've got to say it's a whole different game compared to second edition.
One thing I love with the game is the encounters: short, flavourful texts which propel the story, using skill tests. Five Parsecs from Home had something like it in the campaign (but not location-bound).
Anyway, I love it so much that I tried to emulate it in a couple of example texts:

Starport encounter 1

An enormous transport carrying colonists, would-be adventurers and fortune-hunters has just landed at the Starport.

You identify a group of newly-arrived who seems to have an equipment deficit and a credit (and trust) surplus.

A scoundrel might try to hustle the group, selling them worthless and/or malfunctioning items. You may test social skill, gaining a fistful of credits for each success. If you try, roll on the "People met"-table and add this group as enemies, as they find out that the gear you sold them is unusable.

Starport encounter 2

"Hey, do you know how to pilot a shuttle?", a stressed-out captain of a cargo hauler asks.
"I'm on a tight schedule. I've got to unload my cargo now and my shuttle pilot has gone AWOL." The captain tells you that if they can't unload in time, they'll miss their exit spot, and they're on a time-sensitive mission.

If your character has some kind of piloting skill, you may agree to unload the cargo, gaining a fistful of credits. You may test piloting skill to rush the unloading, gaining another fistful of credits if you succeed.
If no success is rolled, you fail to secure the cargo properly, damaging it in transit. Instead of gaining credits, you'll have to pay a fistful of credits to compensate the captain.

Ideas by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

(Notes and Starport Scum mine, my inlaws are supplying the tablecloth)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
So I've begun working again, after being on parental leave for 10 months.

Let's just say that I haven't had any time (or energy) for doing anything hobby related. Hopefully this will change as I grow accustomed to working again.

Although I haven't had time to paint or anything, I have completed Steiner & Krüger Sicherheit with one GZG Merc sniper, one GZG Merc female trooper and one GZG Colonial Security. Hopefully, I will get them painted sometime soon!

I hadn’t seen this, but congratulations! I’ve yet not been able to get back into the hobby, but will eagerly watch how this might be possible.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2019, 06:30:21 PM »
I hadn’t seen this, but congratulations! I’ve yet not been able to get back into the hobby, but will eagerly watch how this might be possible.

Thanks, I think it's possible, but sometimes one have to accept that one doesn't have the energy, time or will to do hobby stuff.

I think I will have to decide to paint, not wait until I feel like it.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 190322: Arkham Horror-inspired encounters
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »
Another encounter. I don't think I'll manage to write enough encounters to make full tables, but I just find it fun to write these little snippets. It feels like I'm doing something hobby-related, but I can do it while putting the kids to bed.

Golgotha General Hospital Encounter 1

Suddenly, warning lights start flashing, emergency doors close and a pre-recorded message starts playing: "Warning! Warning! Highly-contagious virus breach detected! Emergency quarantine protocols enacted!"

You realize that you won't be leaving soon. When a medical team in full hazmat gear enter the room, you start to wonder if you'll be leaving at all...

Your character becomes delayed. Roll a D10. If you roll a 1, you have contracted a virtulent disease. Roll for injury, as if you were down in battle, to see whether you make it.