Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140812 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200405: Crustacean refugees
« Reply #735 on: April 05, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
Crusty refugees by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Oppression, invasion, virulent disease, climate change, civil war, famine, natural catastrophes, poverty, persecution... There are many reasons why people are forced to leave their homes, seeking asylum elsewhere. To most, it's not a decision taken lightly, leaving the familiar for an uncertain future. It's not an easy decision, but a necessary one.

Not every refugee is alike, though. Some can choose to pack up their belongings in their personal star cruisers, leaving at will and being warmly greeted wherever they go. Others have to forfeit everything they own and become indentured servants, just to escape with their lives. Some stow away on cargo haulers, others commandeer them. Some can buy ordinary tickets for an intergalactic holiday, choosing not to return, while others still extensively modify craft not designed for interstellar travel to take them to other systems.

Aserba's Rift is found in the Hydra Sector, a large area of space encompassing a multitude of systems. It's known for being a conflict hotspot - early United Government attempts to pacify the area unfortunately had the opposite effect, creating more turmoil and hostility. Today, Aserba's Rift is plagued by warmongering civilizations, opportunistic raiders, grand crusades, retaliatory strikes, shady criminal empires and reaving pirate fleets. And while billions upon billions live their entire lives in Aserba's Rift, many long to leave it forever.

The species colloquially known as Crusties (or Crustaceans) has a long history of interstellar colonization and can be found all across the galaxy. The colonies in Aserba's Rift had been stable for a long time, but as external aggression picked up and internal strife mounted, the situation for the ordinary citizens worsened. Every day, more refugees are leaving for safety. A group of Crusty refugees recently arrived on Golgotha Prime with 'The Salvation of Io'. They were latest observed in the vicinity of Blackstair's Bluff, seemingly hiding from some kind of pursuer...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:15:38 PM by Ockman »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #736 on: April 06, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
Great idea Ockman,
One can also convince the missus that it is modern art & hang it on a wall. :D :D

Wm - You really should make more ( Your cardboard mesa idea is great & I would very much like to make like them  ;) :D :D )

Btw. Any clear liquid can be tinted - it just depends on its viscosity & what medium you use to tint . e.g. oil based tints give different results in water based medium than would water based ones , obviously .

Live long & prosper
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #737 on: April 06, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »
Great Crusties, Ock! Sorry to hear about the illness running through the fam. Agree with you, best case scenario seems to be that you got it, it didn't kill you, and now you have some immunity. My best understanding is that none of the state of the world is about avoiding the disease, but simply slowing down the rate of infection. Predictions are that most of us will likely end up with it whether today, next week, or next year. Just not all at once, please.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #738 on: April 06, 2020, 05:56:57 PM »
Thanks, friends!

We're back in good health again, although 2+ weeks without work and full responsibility for the children might have left me with some kind of mental damage...  ;D

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #739 on: April 07, 2020, 03:09:17 AM »
Thanks, friends!

We're back in good health again, although 2+ weeks without work and full responsibility for the children might have left me with some kind of mental damage...  ;D

I am very glad you all are doing better my friend, and as far as the kids go, your parents put a curse on you, with the words of that spell goes something like this "Some day you will have kids just like you!"  lol lol  I shouldn't laugh mine did and almost everyday I just lower and shake my head  lol  lol.

Your Crusties look great and the back story is great as well. You'll get a chance the get to the hobby.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #740 on: April 07, 2020, 06:06:50 AM »
Good one WM, :D
Been there done it also  ;).

Keep it up Ockman...great work as usual.

Live long & prosper my friends
Z

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #741 on: April 07, 2020, 01:08:20 PM »
I am very glad you all are doing better my friend, and as far as the kids go, your parents put a curse on you, with the words of that spell goes something like this "Some day you will have kids just like you!"  lol lol  I shouldn't laugh mine did and almost everyday I just lower and shake my head  lol  lol.

My parents said the same thing to me.  I’ve finally realized that if my kid is trouble because I was trouble as a kid, that means I was trouble as a kid because my father was trouble when he was a kid.  When I pointed that out to him, he tried to deny it.  My aunt, however, says I’m completely correct.  :D

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #742 on: April 07, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
So fun!  Great painting and background fluff!

I was always hoping they would make a sequel!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »

Your Crusties look great and the back story is great as well. You'll get a chance the get to the hobby.

Thanks, Doug! Now I'm back at work and can feel my sanity return. Who would have thought?

Good one WM, :D
Been there done it also  ;).

Keep it up Ockman...great work as usual.

Live long & prosper my friends
Z

Thanks, Z!

I was told that I was an easy child, but perhaps that was only in comparison with my brother...

My parents said the same thing to me.  I’ve finally realized that if my kid is trouble because I was trouble as a kid, that means I was trouble as a kid because my father was trouble when he was a kid.  When I pointed that out to him, he tried to deny it.  My aunt, however, says I’m completely correct.  :D

Haha, well that's sound logic.

As you can see, there is one Crustacean child in the picture, firmly held by the hand, so it won't go climbing on the ruins (one never knows what ruins in the jungle might hide)...

So fun!  Great painting and background fluff!

I was always hoping they would make a sequel!

Thanks, mate!

I've only seen it once, a long long time ago. I don't think I was really that focused, but I really enjoy the GZG miniatures!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200425: A slight detour
« Reply #744 on: April 25, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
I haven't had energy to do anything hobby related lately, work has been taxing (organizing psychosocial support for staff on three different hospitals) and I'm missing the ones I'm not allowed to meet.

Still, I have managed to make some things for my kids: continued painting on the moomin house and some mountains for their dinosaurs.

Mountains by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

These were ment for me, but I didn't like the straight edges that I had made (wanted to put them in corners of my gaming board, but now I'd rather have without edges). Now dinosaurs will populate this mountains.

Moomin house exterior by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Moomin house interior by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

My wife has wanted me to build the Moomin's house since Christmas 2018. More as a decoration, than something for the kids to actually play with!  :D

I've finished the build a long time ago, but painting has been slow. Now I'm getting closer to finishing it!

Moomin framed pictures by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

I might build some stuff for the interior, here's a couple of paintings!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #745 on: April 25, 2020, 05:09:51 PM »
Though it's not scifi it's still great work. :D

I truly wish you the strength & courage to carry on with your work my friend.

Z

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #746 on: April 25, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »
Though it's not scifi it's still great work. :D

I truly wish you the strength & courage to carry on with your work my friend.

Z

Thanks, friend!

My work is a lot less stressful right now than it sounds. I've mostly been reading up on crisis psychology and crisis management, compiling information and formulating guidelines, helping my boss out with formulating a larger strategy and manning a telephone hotline for leaders, executives and managers.

But I know that we're going to get a lot to do in the coming months...

Moomin house roof by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Look at this roof. I am so pleased with my painting!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #747 on: April 25, 2020, 11:41:49 PM »
Nice Detour the work is great! I can see the kids having a lot of fun with that. Nice Work!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #748 on: April 26, 2020, 01:50:53 AM »
Looks fun and bright and cheerful,!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #749 on: April 27, 2020, 01:34:20 PM »
Those are great mental breaks from the norm. I can't wait to have a grandkid to make houses and terrain for.

Or for my 21 year old to get interested enough to want to build terrain together, but I suspect college and a particular young woman are taking up too much time for that right now lol

Moomin house looks solid enough to play with. I mean, you couldn't chuck it out of a second story window, but few toys tolerate that kind of abuse for long anyway.