Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:18:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 140753 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Wow!  Very nice.

This reminds me I have loads of conversions and head swaps to do, to make my figures more desert-appropriate.

Dan

Thanks! Desert settings are cool... eh, hot?

Nice Back Story! Plus The Handsome Mysterious Stranger, Oh swoon  lol lol lol Great paint work and figure.

Thanks, Doug!

It's an homage to my brother, I think he'd like to be that handsome, mysterious stranger. Haven't seen him in a long while, due to the state of the world...

Many thanks!

That’s fantastic I’ll look at them next time I’m putting an order with GZG  :D

No problem!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200522: Guhn-Deen explores some ruins
« Reply #796 on: May 22, 2020, 06:12:52 PM »
Jungle ruins by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

The Crustaceans living close to Blackstair's Bluff had been nice enough to give him a drawn map, since Global Positioning Systems were unreliable in these parts. He had spread the word that he was interested in information about ruins to explore. The Crustaceans were constantly scouting the jungles around their dwellings and had already supplied Guhn-Deen with a couple of maps leading to ancient ruins. Those expeditions hadn't yielded any astonishing results, but he had higher hopes for this one. The Crustaceans had told him that these ruins differed from the others. They had told him that these ruins were dangerous. Haunted.

Exploring the ruins by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Guhn-Deen spoke into his PDA:
"D-N, I'm near the site marked on the map. Positioning data is unavailable at the moment, but the scanners are picking up some kind of energy signatures just up ahead. I'm going in."
As he entered the clearing, a realization came over him. These ruins did differ from the others he'd seen. They weren't supposed to be here.

As Guhn-Deen went over the crumbled buildings with his scanner, data came trickling in. "D-N, there's a lot of interference here, but these buildings are definitely of United Government design. It's not making any sense... If my scans are correct, these buildings were destroyed several centuries before this system was officially discovered, back during the Age of Isolation... D-N, this doesn't add up!"

What? A patrol? by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Something was suddenly off. The sounds of the jungle had petered out, and in the silence, Guhn-Deen could hear a new sound: The whirring of ancient servos. As he threw himself into the cover of a ruined building, he caught a glance of the units producing that whirr. Dull metal bipeds stalked the ruins, recognizable to anyone who had travelled through United Government space: HK-series droids.

Ancient HK-series droids patrolling by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

These robots were old and worn, they moved stiffly and their sensor packages must have lost most of their functionality, since the droids continued patrolling past Guhn-Deen's hiding place. He waited until they had passed, then bolted to another ruin, where he could survey the droids' patrolling route from the second story. Soon, he had identified a pattern and could escape unharmed into the jungle...

Finding higher ground by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #797 on: May 22, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
Nice little story. The ruins look right at home!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #798 on: May 23, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
Nice little story. The ruins look right at home!

Thanks, mate!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 200728: Galactic advertisments!
« Reply #799 on: July 28, 2020, 06:19:19 PM »
Galactic advertisments by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

There is no such thing as universal symbolism, even if galaxy-spanning organizations and corporations have tried to create it. In a galaxy where untold civilizations and cultures meet, nothing is self-explanatory to everyone: there will be misunderstandings.

There are different ways to cope with this. Some messages are very straightforward ("Reijmyre glasses are the most beautiful glasses"), others use blinking lights around a picture of the product, while some work with abstract concepts, where the viewers has to interpret the picture themselves.

The building at the intersection of Ilian Avenue and Redoute Road has a large, old billboard at its side. No-one remembers who put it there or what message it is supposed to convey, the poster showing a beam of light piercing a dark sky, with three symbols in the lower right corner. Some think it's an ad for intergalactic travel ('Follow the road to the stars!'), some think it's an United Government recruiting poster ('Join United Government Special Forces, be a light in the galactic darkness!') some think it's a message from a cult ('Come to the Light of Salvation!'), and some think it's an ad for orbital ion cannons ('Blind your enemies and disrupt their systems! Assaults initiated with ion cannon barrages have a higher rate of success!').

What do you think the poster is trying to say?

___

How did two months pass from my latest update? Time flies! I'm in the process of moving to another city, trying to sell my apartment, find a new, find new work, arrange with a new preschool for the children... And then everything else that one has to fix at work, renovating, clearing out old stuff... not much time left for hobbying.

But last week, I took some time to build and paint a new tile for my city. It's pretty basic, but I think that not everything has to look exceptional. But I added some nice little details to spice it up.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #800 on: July 28, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
Nice build and the painting style looks great! The Mystery of the billboard, what does it mean? May have to go digging around in some old library archives!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #801 on: July 30, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
Ockman:  “What do you think the poster is trying to say?”

- Faster than light travel?
- Church or cult of some kind?
- Political ad?

Awesome build, by the way.  As always.

Dan

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #802 on: July 30, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
CLEARLY this is a poster for a warp core additive that leaves a trail of golden sparkles in your wake. Duh!   ::)

I love the ad placement, and as others have said it is nice to see you back.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #803 on: July 31, 2020, 01:06:49 AM »
You know I did put corkboard on both sides of that pick foam board, I painted the river bed side already but I didn't paint the flip side it is still all grey from the primer coat and I was just wonder if I should use it for a town and street side.

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #804 on: July 31, 2020, 02:55:07 PM »
That's absolutely an alien abduction poster - whether it's a warning or a recommendation though, I don't know!

Looks great :)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #805 on: July 31, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »
That's absolutely an alien abduction poster - whether it's a warning or a recommendation though, I don't know!

Axiom for the win!!!

Dan
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:01:13 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #806 on: August 01, 2020, 05:12:53 AM »
Welcome back Ockman...

Or perhaps an ad for a paint manufacturing company..." Look at how nice & brighter our yellows are "

Or

" Visit the new leaning tower at Nouva Pisa" guided tours are available

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #807 on: August 01, 2020, 07:17:18 AM »
Nice build and the painting style looks great! The Mystery of the billboard, what does it mean? May have to go digging around in some old library archives!
You know I did put corkboard on both sides of that pick foam board, I painted the river bed side already but I didn't paint the flip side it is still all grey from the primer coat and I was just wonder if I should use it for a town and street side.

Thanks, Doug! That's a good idea, sleuthing through the local archives!

Painting the flip side to use as a city board sounds great.

Ockman:  “What do you think the poster is trying to say?”

- Faster than light travel?
- Church or cult of some kind?
- Political ad?

Awesome build, by the way.  As always.

Dan

Thanks, Dan! Good suggestions!

CLEARLY this is a poster for a warp core additive that leaves a trail of golden sparkles in your wake. Duh!   ::)

I love the ad placement, and as others have said it is nice to see you back.

Thanks, Andrew! It's good to be back!

That sounds like an amazing (and unnecessary) product.

Looks great :)

Thanks, Axiom.

I want you to know that the Grey community apologizes for the few fetischists that haunted Earth during the early space-flight era, but that it is hurtful to perpetuate these negative stereotypes on an entire race!

Welcome back Ockman...

Or perhaps an ad for a paint manufacturing company..." Look at how nice & brighter our yellows are "

Or

" Visit the new leaning tower at Nouva Pisa" guided tours are available

Z

Thanks, Z!

Those are great suggestions as well!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #808 on: August 03, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »
I'm still on vacation, but I have another detail picture, if you want to see some intergalactic graffiti?

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #809 on: August 03, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
YES!

I do like the idea of an alien abduction service. "A memory free probing so gentle you wish you could remember it!"