Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:06:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 144304 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 230830: Precursor Eria Hryr
« Reply #990 on: August 30, 2023, 12:09:38 PM »
Precursor Eria Hryr by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Littered with the remains of ancient civilizations, where explorers and presumptive colonists have a tendency to disappear, ghost systems are avoided by all but the bravest (or most foolhardy) adventurers. But even if a system is designated as such by the United Government, it doesn't mean that it is entirely devoid of life.

The Arandea system was once a self-sustaining, high-technological utopia, a pinnacle of the Precursor society. In the chaos following an unexpected cosmic event that flooded the system with electromagnetic radiation, the Arandea Precursors split in two factions: one that saw the event as a sign to leave the Arandea system forever, and one that saw it as a sign to leave their dependance on technology, retreating back to their ancestral forests for a life closer to nature.

As millennia passed, the cities became overgrown and fell into ruin. War parties were dispatched whenever outsiders came to colonize or loot. While Precursor Eria Hryr grew up in that environment, she never felt at home in the forests, living of the land and harmonizing with nature. Instead she snuck away to explore the ruins and collect ancient technology. She heard the legends of the Precursors that left and the place they went, "Serbat Utani", and wanted nothing more than to leave herself. She started to help the visitors avoid the war parties, she traded with them, and when she was exiled by the other Arandea Precursors, she escaped the system with a group of adventurers. Now she's travelling the galaxy in search of her lost kin, selling her services to the highest bidder - or to those who might aid her on her quest. For the moment being, Eria Hryr is attached to the Straylight Novas, following new rumours regarding "Serbat Utani"...

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #991 on: August 30, 2023, 02:36:00 PM »
Well done and very atmospheric! I'm going to follow this interesting story!  :)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #992 on: August 31, 2023, 03:06:07 AM »
A fun intro. Love the terrian

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #993 on: August 31, 2023, 08:17:28 PM »
Well done and very atmospheric! I'm going to follow this interesting story!  :)

Thanks, mate!

A fun intro. Love the terrian

Thank you! It's made out of cork, trash and cheap soap holders!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #994 on: September 03, 2023, 10:30:05 PM »
That is a great write up of a lead in for a story. Can't wait to hear the rest.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 231005: The Swarm is coming
« Reply #995 on: October 05, 2023, 02:40:13 PM »
Something is moving in United Government space, small bio-ships carrying hideous beasts...

Herald of the Swarm by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #996 on: October 05, 2023, 03:33:04 PM »
I can't wait!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #997 on: October 05, 2023, 07:56:57 PM »
I can't wait!

Neither can I!

(Well obviously I can, since I go to bed early to have an okay day tomorrow)

But here are two pictures to show how the minis measure up against 15mm infantry and mechs:

Tyranid Rippers vs 15mm miniature by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Hormagaunt vs 15mm mech by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #998 on: October 05, 2023, 08:57:51 PM »
very nice Ockman looking forward to seeing updates :)

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #999 on: October 06, 2023, 12:19:00 AM »
Ockman I’m really late to the thread but I’m already in awe of this page (the only I’ve seen so far) and I’m going to go all the way back and work my way through.

Those new rippers are perfect and have to admit when I read you were using a hormaguant in 15mm (in LouieN’s thread) I instantly thought they were too large but I’m totally wrong and it looks perfect against that powered suit (it’s a lictor equivalent in my eyes now). Then I remembered I made these chaps for 15mm  ::)

I’m pretty sure that reading through your posts will help inspire me to get back to them (I did 4, cleaned them up and prepped them for priming but got distracted) and get them onto a tabletop.

Looking forwards to what you do next (but going to catch up first)

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #1000 on: October 06, 2023, 03:52:53 AM »
I will look forward to this. 

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #1001 on: October 06, 2023, 01:06:58 PM »
Ockman I’m really late to the thread but I’m already in awe of this page (the only I’ve seen so far) and I’m going to go all the way back and work my way through.

Those new rippers are perfect and have to admit when I read you were using a hormaguant in 15mm (in LouieN’s thread) I instantly thought they were too large but I’m totally wrong and it looks perfect against that powered suit (it’s a lictor equivalent in my eyes now). Then I remembered I made these chaps for 15mm  ::)

I’m pretty sure that reading through your posts will help inspire me to get back to them (I did 4, cleaned them up and prepped them for priming but got distracted) and get them onto a tabletop.

Looking forwards to what you do next (but going to catch up first)

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

Hey Andrew, nice to have you here! Those Gargoyles look ace, I wouldn't want to have them clawing at my 15mm crew! I agree with the Hormagaunt = Lictor way of thinking, since that is exactly my own view. Unfortunately the gaunt broke its leg today, so I'll have to pin it. Knew that would probably happen, but still...

Started to look through the old thread myself after reading your comment and there is a lot of stuff that I have done, I realize  :D

very nice Ockman looking forward to seeing updates :)
I will look forward to this. 

Thanks! I am trying to paint them after a scheme I found online ("Hermit Crab Tyranids"), hopefully it will pan out well!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1002 on: October 06, 2023, 01:44:06 PM »
Ockman please steal borrow the gargoyle idea (it’s only a little cutting with the addition of gaunt legs and some genestealer arms - iirc) as I’d love to see what you do with it (and then I wouldn’t have to worry about ever having to finish mine to see what it’ll look like painted  lol ).

I have only got 1/3rd of the way through this thread and so far it’s been really inspirational, your terrain is great, thank you for posting.

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #1003 on: October 07, 2023, 07:16:39 AM »
Something is moving in United Government space, small bio-ships carrying hideous beasts...

Herald of the Swarm by Oscar Falk, on Flickr
Oscar

These awesome Devil isopod things, are they still being made and sold?  If so, where and under what name?  Thanks!

Dan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1004 on: October 07, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
They’re the modern GW Tyranid Rippers (I think unless that’s changed with new version)…. Pretty sure they’re scattered throughout the other troops sprues (as well as in their own units? IIRC) now Ockman has highlighted/reminded me about using nids I will have to find (excavate) mine so I may have a few you can have Dan.

Andrew
BALM
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 03:08:11 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »