Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:11:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best  (Read 144512 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240116: Mutant Boomers
« Reply #1035 on: January 16, 2024, 07:42:03 PM »
Mutant Boomers by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

While the Psionics got tremendous mental powers and the Crushers rely on brute strength and toughness, the Boomers lack mutations that are as useful on the battlefield. Instead they bring long range firepower. Scavenged from dead enemies or scratchbuilt from scrap, their weapons are both powerful and loud!

Toytox by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Toytox by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Toytox claims that his mutations really are useful, that he can breathe fire and stun enemies with his sonar. Since no-one has ever seen him do anything like that, they treat his claims as pure fantasies  (probably just a bad case of heartburn), but that sound he can make is awfully irritating. Ever since Toytox got his hands on an automatic rifle, he has been quite content. Who needs powerful mutations when you can throw hails of bullets at anything that moves?

Skull-face - Skully - Dead-Eye by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Skull-face - Skully - Dead-Eye by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

The mutant known as Skull-face, Skully, or Dead-eye built his rifle long before arriving at Golgotha Prime. With a defective mutation that makes his body more fragile, Skully has always wanted to keep distance between himself and danger. He acts as the groups primary hunter and sniper, dropping game and enemies before they even know he is there.

Payne by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Payne by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Unlike the other Boomers, Payne likes to get close and personal with his gun. He walks, runs, jumps and dodges in the middle of the fray. Payne claims to be able to slow time, making it easier to aim true and dodge incoming fire. And should he ever be hit, that's nothing that a bottle of painkillers can't cure...

Payne and Rubikon by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #1036 on: January 17, 2024, 12:04:41 AM »
I love the scenery.  Thanks for the post.   

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #1037 on: January 17, 2024, 02:22:11 AM »
Those are good back stories for those characters and the terrains is really great too!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #1038 on: January 17, 2024, 06:26:33 AM »
Oscar

Who makes that “Scully” figure?  Thanks

Dan

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #1039 on: January 17, 2024, 09:02:06 AM »
Oscar

Dan

I am fairly certain he is from Alternative Armies.
One of their mutant figures. RAP014 Mutants 1 Far right
https://www.alternative-armies.com/products/rap014-mutants-1?_pos=1&_sid=b6ab3d26f&_ss=r

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #1040 on: January 17, 2024, 10:39:20 AM »
I love the scenery.  Thanks for the post.

Those are good back stories for those characters and the terrains is really great too!

Thanks, Louie and Doug! I am a big fan of the classic wargaming look with wirebrush trees and styrofoam rocks. Reminds me of wargaming in the 90's  :D

Oscar

Dan

Deflatermouse is right on target, it's a Loud Ninja Games' mutant, sold by Alternative Armies. All of my mutants are from Loud Ninja Games, but I've also used the Highwaymen and one from the Post-apocalyptic Raider pack.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240117: Mutant Crushers
« Reply #1041 on: January 17, 2024, 10:50:42 AM »
Mutant Crushers by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

The Crushers do not rely on finesse. Their mutations have given them great strength and toughness at the cost of their cognitive ability. They are not the sharpest tools in the shed and they do not carry them either. But the rusty steel implements they wield pack enough punch to crush and maim.

Kroo by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Kroo by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Strongest of them all is Kroo. He has an improvised armour made of steel plates as well as an enormous two-handed warhammer. Kroo has two strategies: one is to crush his enemies first. The other is to let the enemies wear themselves out, trying to hurt him in close combat, and then crush them.
Lobo by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Lobo by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Sometimes Lobo gets so angry he cannot control himself. He enters a berserk rage, which can be really useful in the midst of his enemies. Not as much when he's with friends. This is the reason he's got a chained collar around his neck, so that his buddies can help him keep calm.
Marsh by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Marsh by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

He might look like it, but Marsh is the toughest of the bunch. While not as strong or angry as the other Crushers, he has something else. A nervous system impervious to pain, as well as a rapid healing factor makes it more or less impossible to keep him down. He might need some help resetting his bones after a bad fight, but otherwise he manages most situations.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240120: Mutant Psionics
« Reply #1042 on: January 20, 2024, 10:06:50 PM »
Mutant Psionics by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

The Sypox scientists managed to unlock psionic abilities in some mutants with their horrible experiments. The fear of mutants invading one's mind or unleashing powerful energies lies at the heart of a lot of mutant prejudice. Most psionics choose to keep a low profile and not make apparent use of their abilities, but if threatened, the gloves are off.

Shaman Orfo by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Shaman Orfo by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

The most powerful of the psionics is Shaman Orfo. They can conjure psionic lightning as well as use pyrokinetics. But it's the power of divination, seeing the threads that weave the future, that make them the spiritual leader of the mutants. The threads led them to Golgotha Prime, here the threads are too many and to fast shifting to get a clear view of the future to come...

Toluen by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Toluen by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Toluen has an impressive telepathic ability, an ability he usually switches off in everyday life. In high-stakes situations, he makes full use of it, sensing the intentions of hostiles and broadcasting them to his friends. While he cannot make enemies hurt themselves intentionally, he can plant ideas and suggestions. That their cover is not safe, they share it with a dangerous creature, or that it's a good idea to take on the deformed mutant with a power claw in hand-to-hand combat...

Rubikon by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Rubikon by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Rubikon doesn't want to be a psionic. She wants to be a Boomer, like her idol Payne. Unfortunately, she's had an allergic reaction whenever she fires a weapon. One day, when she was imitating Payne, Rubi discovered that her telekinetic powers could emulate a gun. From that day, Payne teaches her how to use her mind gun, and while she still has lots to learn, she has started to throw mind grenades and is discovering new mind weapons...

Rubikon and Payne by Oscar Falk, on Flickr

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #1043 on: January 21, 2024, 02:11:51 PM »
Brillant! I can’t decide what I love most. The mutants are ace, but I adore your refurbished GW tyranids!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #1044 on: January 22, 2024, 05:21:45 AM »
Thank you, DivisMal!

There will be a post about the finished Tyranids in the future, just got to build and paint some more things first  :D

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #1045 on: January 22, 2024, 05:11:29 PM »
Again, great background for your characters, I love it!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #1046 on: January 24, 2024, 06:00:24 AM »
He sure knows how to show off the detail on 15mm figures.  I can’t get enough.

Dan

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #1047 on: January 25, 2024, 11:37:18 AM »
Again, great background for your characters, I love it!

Thanks, Doug!

He sure knows how to show off the detail on 15mm figures.  I can’t get enough.

Dan

Thanks, Dan!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best
« Reply #1048 on: February 03, 2024, 11:46:37 PM »
I have written an article for Alternative Armies' blog, which I am quite proud of. It's about my love for 15mm gaming and especially our community. Some members of the forum are referenced (although not always named), like Doug who helped me with some non-hobby stuff a couple of years ago.

Anyway here is it, if you want to read:

https://alternative-armies.blogspot.com/2024/01/why-15mm-gaming-is-best-by-golgothaprime.html

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: [15mm] Ockman's Sci-fi, update 240203: Why 15mm gaming is best
« Reply #1049 on: February 12, 2024, 04:51:00 AM »
I have been a little slow to get around to things, that is a great write up!