Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: North Star will release a plastic Dwarfs box, Elves and Goblins to come.  (Read 11810 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Interesting take on Fantasy Dwarfs. <Snip> Plastic building is something I really dislike.... Nothing to do with quality, I just don't like it.

This.

Collecting since the 1970s, I have plenty of bow armed Dwarf troops.

Not appealing at all despite nice sculpts.  Glue and multi-part is a non-starter for me.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
Hooray for legs. Great dwarves, I shall get some of these ASAP.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
While these dwarves are super sweet (and they are-yay for bows!) I am more jazzed for the thought of plastic elves and goblins! I have yet to find goblins I truly like, and would love to do a Dragon Rampant army with them.

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
I assume these would kitbash with all my left over frostgrave plastics!?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I'm itching to see the goblins.
As these dwarfs look nice I'm also looking forward to seeing elves. Not really a fan of most elf miniatures. I hope they go for the more woodsy type of elf.

I love those little guys! And that it's coming from somebody who owns exactly 0 dwarves because I usually hate how they look. I really like that they are firmly early medieval in styling and weapons, etc. I can't wait to see the elves! (Everybody and their cousin does goblins)

I'm in the same boat as you (although more recently I bought the old Asgard dwarfs and some chaos dwarfs) but I usually can't stand the guys.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Will get two boxes as you won't need more for a decent Dragon Rampant army maybe three for good measure!! When will they be out ?
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
I put this up on a Mordheim facebook page as well.  I think it's just smart.  If the plastics are well done (and the Frostgrave ones are good, if not great) this is something currently missing from the market. Now that GW has gone bonkers with their world and Mantic has terrible looking dwarfs (possibly the worst)...there is no multi-purpose generic dwarf fantasy kit in existence.  All of the people looking for "proper" fantastical dwarfs may lean this way.

The kit is ideal for stuff like Mordheim (and yes, Frostgrave if you want to run a dwarf inspired band).  Note the sprue lets you make a full unit of hand weapons, a full unit of spears, or a full unit of archers, etc.  I think the banner pole should maybe be left to one sprue, but that doesn't hurt anything.  I personally prefer single part metals when available, but I think it's fantastic to see this option out there, and yes I'll be tempted to do a Mordheim band with these too.  Elves?  Meh.  Goblins I'm interested in for sure.

I think it's an exceptionally shrewd maneuver.  That being said, North Star needs to do something about their publicity etc.  There are loads of people who may have heard of Frostgrave etc. but have no clue about the multi-part plastic boxes etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I think the banner pole should maybe be left to one sprue, but that doesn't hurt anything.  

I agree with everything else you said, but a large amount of banner poles is useful for mass-battle games like HOTT (and Rally Round the King and Sword and Spear, I suspect), which might have figure scales as high as 1:1,000. There's no reason why you can't have a banner per element in those games, and they can really help to create a mass-battle effect with relatively few figures. I've often thought that you could create a great-looking HOTT army using only "command groups".

Also, spare banner poles are always handy for other projects. The sprue seems to include an alternative terminal for the banner - unless that's a crest for the leader's helmet. It looks like it would work on the banner in any case.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:34:00 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I'm glad they have a huge amount of head options. I'm not a fan of the moustacheless head, although I bet it is some people's favourite. Looks more gnomelike to me.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
I will definitely pick up a sprue. They seem like a useful addition to the bits box, even though I don't really play Dwarfs in any game.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
The sprue looks tremendous. Spearmen with upright spears are always welcome for games like HOTT. And a couple of boxes of these would give a dwarf army with spear, blade and shooter elements (and plenty of spares).

It's great to see dwarfs with bows - far preferable to crossbows, which have no pre-D&D/Warhammer underpinning.

These also look like they would mix fairly well with Vendel, Asgard and pre-slotta Citadel.

I wish they'd included crossbow options along with the bows.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
These look very promising. Must remember to pick some up on Saturday.

Very curious to see what they do with their elves. I too would like some proper wood elves...

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
can anyone take pictures at Salute if they have three ups of Elves or Goblins please!!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Yep. +1 to that!