Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:20:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: +Strongsword+  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
+Strongsword+
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
I’ve always wanted my own set of rules, as I know what I want in a game. However, I lack the time and the spirit, but most of all the skill to pull it off by myself, so I spoke with Daniel Mersey who agreed to take my list of silly demands and make a proper game out of it.
The game is now well developed and we're in the process of doing the final layout and proof reading of the book, which will consist of the game rules and the campaign.

Here is Dan's introduction along with a couple of sample pages:

+Strongsword+ is a slightly quirky but simple-to-learn set of rules designed for playing tabletop fantasy wargames, published by Westfalia Miniatures. Many fantasy wargames place in your command of a huge army divided into tactical units or just a handful of models acting independently of one another. +Strongsword+ places you at the head of a mob of ferocious frothing fighters, be that a large or small mob of them!

The style of play is quite straightforward, but the real challenge is working out how to use the simple rules to command your warriors in battle as effectively as possible. This is because, although all of your models act independently from one another, your whole force is guided by the single tactic or 'Battle Stance' you set each turn.

Your Battle Stance is a simple order that's either shouted by leaders over the tumult of battle, indicated by flag waving, horn blowing, or similar battlefield communication. It tells each of your warriors how to act this turn – maybe they'll be ordered to be defensive, or aggressive, stand back to catch their breath, or go completely nutty and charge at the nearest living enemy.

The key focus of commanding your warband in this arena of mob warfare is that you must choose the single Battle Stance that strengthens to your current situation – you can't go giving differing, complex orders to different warriors under your command because you're too busy fighting and simply don't have that luxury of time. Instead, shout your commands as loudly as you're able to and let your warriors do their best!

Combat and morale is kept pretty simple, as are the spells you can cast. This means that the game is driven by your Battle Stance choices, which present players with the feeling of really commanding a smallish group of warriors on a low-tech battlefield.

I will kickstart it in May along with a range of minis sculpted by Michael Anderson.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:14:52 PM by Schrumpfkopf »
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Strongsword (because there aren't enough fantasy skirmish wargames)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05:34 PM »
Even when I can over come my inability to stay while reading rules, the lack of an opponent makes gaming unlikely for me. HOWEVER, your rules look SPLENDID, & are attractively presented. I'm sure they will be a succeed in gaining players.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »
Yay!  :-*
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »
The concept of a choice of a battle stance each turn looks attractive to me and probably quite realistic. I can also see some interesting tactical challenges in choosing the right battle stance at each turn. The presentation looks also good. Depending on the playable army lists and how unique they are, I may well buy a copy.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
Oh, these look good indeed! But will there also be rules included for the major fantasy races?

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:41:14 PM »
I've been looking forward to those minis for a while now, new rules are a bonus :)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 12:27:40 AM »
Are all the miniatures in the rules sample from Westfalia?  I ask, because that female warrior with the sword and cloak on page 30 is fantastic! Where is it from?
EDIT: Found it! Lots of beautiful miniatures - should keep me busy for a while.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:29:28 AM by Hawkeye »
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:33:45 AM »

This looks like it could have some potential. Daniel Merseys rules are certainly a draw for me.

How many factions will have their own listings?
Is there a list of what factions will be in the finished product?

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
Thanks everybody!

...playable army lists and how unique they are, ...
Playable - certainly. Unique - not 100% sure what you mean by unique, but the Halflings have pest control officials.  :)
Seriously now - We don't have dozens of different unit types, but the ones we have are solid and playable and make for a balanced force.

...will there also be rules included for the major fantasy races?...

The rules come with a variety of lists/bestiaries for Halflings, Humans / Mercenaries, Adventurers (incl. an elf and a dwarf), Kobolds and Dungeon Monsters.
it takes a while to make a solid list, but We will certainly see lists for all the common races in due time.
I think one of the strengths of Strongsword is the battle stance special actions, as they really add this race specific fantasy feeling.
It would be easy to just squeeze a lot of lists out, but it really takes several rounds of gaming and tweaking before they feel right.

If I wanted to have, say, a game that lasted 3 hours how many figures per side would I be looking at?

Our games last for an average of about 2 hours, typical warbands consist of: 15-20 Humans, 40-50 Kobolds, 10 Adventurers incl. Henchmen etc.
The game scales well from really small encounters to games that consist of about 40 Humans, to me it doesn't feel quite right after that mark,
but Dan for example thinks it works still really well with more than that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:21:07 PM by Schrumpfkopf »

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »
Cool, I will be keeping my eye on this , especially if more races are covered

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
Looks great!

The 'stance' rule is a really interesting one.

I recognise those blue fellows  ;)

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 11:29:27 PM »
Looks great!

The 'stance' rule is a really interesting one.

I recognise those blue fellows  ;)

I was going to write and ask if you'd rather have the LAF name or your real name beside the image. :--)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 12:49:17 AM »
Real name's fine (anyone who notices is already in too deep)!  ;)