Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest project: Still more space stations  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Latest project: Still more space stations
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
Back on the space station bandwagon, one built from the Dropfleet Commander station kit on a 35mm base:

And another one kitbashed out of UCM cruiser spare parts and some bits from the station sprue, also on a 35mm base.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Latest project: Still more space stations
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:23:48 PM »
And another one, this time a fairly simple but large build.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
They look great!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:10:48 PM »
I bought one of these station sets at Salute, and was surprised at how heavy the box was for a plastic kit!

So I'm curious how many of these kits have you assembled in total now? It seems like you've built more space stations than any normal person could ever need!  lol

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »
I bought one of these station sets at Salute, and was surprised at how heavy the box was for a plastic kit!

It's quite a chunky set, the plastic's quite dense.

So I'm curious how many of these kits have you assembled in total now? It seems like you've built more space stations than any normal person could ever need!  lol

If I'm counting the photos I have saved correctly, the latest one is number 20, and I'm partway through building my third box of the things.  I paint for a living, and have sold all but the most recent on ebay.  A DfC player would never need more than five stations for the Station Assault scenario (which uses the most of them) or fifteen if you were mad enough to want specific models for each of the size categories (small, medium, and large).  For other rules systems you might be able to justify a handful or more, depending on your table scale/weapon ranges/kind of scenarios you like to play.  Playing Full Thrust on a crowded orbital habitat zone with dozens of platforms presenting collision risks would be an interesting variation on the more common asteroid field battles.

And while I'm certainly not normal, the guys at Beasts of War built a single megastation out of what I estimate to be $500+ (retail) worth of sprues a while back.  Got a while to go before I get even with that bit of gross excess.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:54:26 AM »
Bummer!

I was going to suggest a group photo on space mat. Love to see them 'on the black.'

Still, very impressive.

As for FT, I've long had ambition for a corporate war participation convention game. All the players are small businessmen, 'contracted' to attack facing border outposts in a large space with multiple corporations. 'Emergency rescue stations' that are actually listening/industrial espionage posts that the front office can't get their hands dirty on, until it escalates to open struggles.

Jon's tomes always seemed to hint that between the big powers' wars, the corporations went in for a bit of the conflict themselves. REAL war was too profitable to not share in.

My own Texaco Free Trade Zone (see the unofficial GZG Encyclopedia Galactica,Book II) was a loser of such.  ;D

Doug

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:14 PM »
The Tuffleyverse is what you make of it, but I always read it as full of small scraps between minor players, especially out in the poorly-policed "Wild West" of the frontier colonies.  Corporations fighting each other for spite and profit, mercenary companies brawling for pay and kingmaking adventurers, they all fit the setting as well as the superstates slugging it out or the Xenowar struggles with the Kra'Vak, Sa'Vasku, and Phalons.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the info - seems like I should be able to get about 7-8 mixed-size stations out of one box then. B)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
Thanks for the info - seems like I should be able to get about 7-8 mixed-size stations out of one box then. B)

Easily, and maybe more depending on the sizes and complexity of your builds.  I think I managed 10 or 12 out of my first box without doing any major advanced planning, although I might have tapped a second box for a few parts on the last few.  The sprues are also a great source of parts for adding detailing and customization to other kits - wish they'd been around when Battlefleet Gothic was my thing - and not just for spaceships/stations.  The plethora of little antenna and tanks and other widgets have bits box potential for scales from 6mm to 28mm.

And another one, Research Station Gamma-3, a replacement for Gamma-2 after it was lost during atmospheric re-entry following an unfortunate bio-contamination incident.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:38:26 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
And another, Comm Relay Station Q-38 on 35mm base.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
Another big boy, the Emerald City of Oz.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
Yep, plethora is the word, all around.

Doug